Find
Notify
Tools

Traveling with unprimed Rifle Brass
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of zambeziman
posted
I have a question and have not been able to get a clear answer, I have friends in town from Zimbabwe they will be traveling back in a couple of weeks on Emirates Airways through Dubai, and they want to take some unprimed 300 Mag. brass back with them. Are there any issues in doing this? I know that when flying with Emirates they need to be aware of any firearms and ammunition before you are cleared to fly with them. But what about un-primed Brass? I guess I would add another question what about traveling with plain bullets used for reloading? Thanks for any comments.

John

Posts: 77 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 26 May 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Wendell Reich
posted Hide Post
You are asking for problems. Primed, unprimed, loaded, it is all going to be up to the guy who sees them on the X-ray.

Do you want the hassle of explaining to them what they are? Do you think that guy cares? He is looking for a reason to do his job a little too well.

Let's say it is actually legal (I don't know if ti is or isn't) This may not be so much an issue of legality as it could be a lesson on human nature and the abuse of power.

One of the biggest hassles I have had in traveling was in Dubai because of the video equipment I was carrying to Zambia, Zim and Mozambique to film for a month.

I got passed from one Immigration officer to another. They were certain I was there to do some documentary on Dubai or UAE. It was ridiculous. I have never been treated so rudely as these guys did. Yelling at me, asking me over and over "Why are you here!"

If he tries it, good luck. I sure as hell wouldn't.

Posts: 6265 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 13 July 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
I have traveled from the US to New Zealand with bullets in my checked baggage - 5 or 6 packets of Barnes & Nosler. Never had a problem - but the last time was 2008.

Once I took some Woodleigh projectiles to the US in my computer bag as my bags were checked in at a different city. At the xray I was stopped by a guy who had no clue & they confiscated 3 packets. They put the bag through the xray & missed another pack of 577 projectiles!!

This happened in NZ.

Now - 7 years later, the whole world seems to have gotr even more paranoid about anything to do with guns & ammo!

I am sure the Zim friends can get 300 Win brass from South Africa.

"When the wind stops....start rowing. When the wind starts, get the sail up quick."

Posts: 11208 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nakihunter:
I have traveled from the US to New Zealand with bullets in my checked baggage - 5 or 6 packets of Barnes & Nosler. Never had a problem - but the last time was 2008.

Once I took some Woodleigh projectiles to the US in my computer bag as my bags were checked in at a different city. At the xray I was stopped by a guy who had no clue & they confiscated 3 packets. They put the bag through the xray & missed another pack of 577 projectiles!!

This happened in NZ.

Now - 7 years later, the whole world seems to have gotr even more paranoid about anything to do with guns & ammo!

I am sure the Zim friends can get 300 Win brass from South Africa.

Lots of change since 2008 I am afraid!

I would not, repeat NOT, travel with any brass or bullets through international flights today without having the required permits.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68668 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Surely provided unprimed brass or packs of projectiles are in checked luggage ( not cabin luggage ) this would not be an issue ...?? It would pay to check the ammunition carriage policy of the airlines concerned and whether destination countries need to issue permits prior to flights but I don't think this is an insurmountable obstacle. I'm going to the USA later this year with a rifle and ammo. Have already given required notification to the airline and had my USA Permit for Importation issued, so all good as far as I can see. Friends brought some projectiles home for me after attending the SCI Show in Feb. Carried in their check in bags without any issue.
This seems hardly different from the common situation of thousands of hunters travelling internationally every year with firearms and ammo.

Hunting.... it's not everything, it's the only thing.

Posts: 2082 | Location: New Zealand's North Island | Registered: 13 November 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you are travelling with declared rifle and cartridges under permission of Emirates - there are no problems.
But if you'll just put brasses into your bag - be ready for problems.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
PM Les Howell on bringing in/taking out bullet components in Zimbabwe.

One of Us
Picture of zambeziman
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the replys, I will pass this info on..

John

Posts: 77 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 26 May 2009Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
Do not carry any components you do not have a permit for through Dubai.

Posts: 68668 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Skyline
posted Hide Post
I think if you boys check you will see that your own US gov't prohibits this in the first place, regardless of potential problems in Dubai. Non-US citizens and would need an export permit from the US and import permit from Zim to comply with current US restrictions.

The power of accurate observation is frequently called cynicism by those who are bereft of that gift.

Posts: 1842 | Location: Northern Rockies, BC | Registered: 21 July 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Zambeziman,

Listen to Wendell. Your friends would be well advised to forget about carrying any components. It only takes one over jealous official to create a huge hassle for them. I had trouble with unprimed brass previous to 9/11.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 13008 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
... And then there's that handful of people who always seem to know better, just because it appears illogical to them. coffee

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The next time you go to Zim you could bring a 300 win Mag and carry your allocated 11 lbs of ammo and leave the empties there. For that matter leave most if not all of the left over ammo there

Posts: 920 | Location: Chico California | Registered: 02 May 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of billrquimby
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skyline:
I think if you boys check you will see that your own US gov't prohibits this in the first place, regardless of potential problems in Dubai. Non-US citizens and would need an export permit from the US and import permit from Zim to comply with current US restrictions.

I may be wrong, but I believe the same U.S. State Department regulation also prohibits us from giving our unfired ammo to a PH or outfitter after a safari in another country.

Bill Quimby

Posts: 2633 | Location: tucson and greer arizona | Registered: 02 February 2006Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by billrquimby:
quote:
Originally posted by Skyline:

I may be wrong, but I believe the same U.S. State Department regulation also prohibits us from giving our unfired ammo to a PH or outfitter after a safari in another country.

Bill Quimby

Bill,

You are probably right.

But, there is no one to check on you while you are on safari.

Having the components in your bag, is another matter altogether.

One of Us
Picture of billrquimby
posted Hide Post
It certainly is, Saeed.

Bill Quimby

Posts: 2633 | Location: tucson and greer arizona | Registered: 02 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted Hide Post
If you travel with primers (percussion caps) in the USA, TSA will arrest you.

http://www.africahunting.com/t...powder-primers.2022/

As for smokeless powder primers (not seated in brass reloaded ammunition) the regulations do not seem clear. When things aren't clear, TSA applies their version of worst possible case scenario.

AR, where the hopeless, hysterical hypochondriacs of history become the nattering nabobs of negativisim.

Posts: 7046 | Location: Rambouillet, France | Registered: 25 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Saeed:
Do not carry any components you do not have a permit for through Dubai.

Amen. On my return flight through Dubai several weeks ago when I was presenting my boarding pass to go to the gate for the flight to Houston the agent asked me to please stand to the side. He said that security would like to visit with me. I knew everything was in order so I knew I just needed to be patient. Security showed up and took me down on the tarmack. Then they loaded me in a van and drove me down into the bowels of the Dubai airport. There I found my duffle bag sitting at an x-ray machine. They asked me to open the bag and remove the ammunition which I did. They wanted to inspect the ammunition against my transit permit. All checked out and I was taken back upstairs to board my flight. My duffle bag ended up not making the flight but arrived the next day. The point is as Saeed says, I would not want to be transitting Dubai without all permits in good order.

Mike

Posts: 21684 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote