THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    Re: A Couple Of Buffalo Hunting Video Clips

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: A Couple Of Buffalo Hunting Video Clips
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Saeed,

Nice shot on the wildebeest, what range? Hippo, croc & waterbuck didn't suffer much either. Very nice area with plenty of cover for stalking. All taken with your 375/404?

Posts: 180 | Location: Mt. Vernon,Ohio, USA | Registered: 14 February 2004Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
Yes, as I have been doing for the past several years, the 375/404 is the only one I hunt with when hunting buffalo, as well as plains game. Like last year, we have used our own Walterhog 300 grain bullets exclusively.

Recoverd bullets from this hunt

The wildebeast was about 250 yards, hippo closer than 20, croc about 220 and the waterbuck about 150.

Sure plenty of cover when buffalos are 5 yards away from you and you cannot see them.

The second buffalo we shot from the top of a mountain, he probably was not much further than 200 yards, but sure looked a lot more from up there. When I complained to Pierre about long range "sniping" at buffalo, he answered back saying "yesterday you complaint we're being too CLOSE", which was absolutely true.

Posts: 67496 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of prof242
posted Hide Post
Saeed,
Thanks for the posts. I can hardly wait for the DVDs to arrive. Unfortunately, will have to. Am leaving Sunday for the Quebec tundra on a Caribou hunt.
On a side note, roping Walter seems like it could be a team event. Ask Ray if he'd like a "heeler" to join him (he'll know). I'm volunteering.
Max

Posts: 3490 | Location: Colorado Springs, CO | Registered: 04 April 2003Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
A few more buffalo hunting clips have been added.

Posts: 67496 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Saeed, did your rifle jam after the first shot on that buffalo in clip 5?

Chuck

Posts: 2659 | Location: Southwestern Alberta | Registered: 08 March 2003Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
No sir it did not. I don't like ejecting my empty cases so they hit the ground unless I have to. As you might have noticed, I pick the empty from the chamber, reload a new round, and pocket the empty.

Empty cases are as rare as hens teeth in our part of the world, and despite all my efforts, I always loose a few on each hunt.

Some are kept as keepsake by those who have used my rifle to hunt with, and some are ejected while hunting and lost.

This year we had a bit of fun with my friend Todd.

We got to them after they had shot a buffalo, and were happily taking photos of their tropgy.

I asked him how many shots he fired, and he said two. I asked him about my empties, he turned around to me and said "OH! I did not pick them up!"

"You better go find them. Where did you shoot the buffalo from?"

He said "over there". It turned out "over there" was just about everywhere! long grass and leaves everwhere, so we lost two very valuable 375/404 cases.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Makes perfect sense. I just noticed you paying close attention to the ejection port after that shot.

Chuck

Posts: 2659 | Location: Southwestern Alberta | Registered: 08 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Saeed,
Thanks for letting us "tag along on your hunts".
looks like I missed the sign up for this years list to view the DVD's
so this will have to do

Posts: 77 | Location: Hopefully out in the hills somewhere | Registered: 21 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Wow Saeed, that's some exciting footage; thanks for sharing.

Quick couple of questions: I realize it will always depend upon (among other things) a beast's orientation once down, but in a perfect world, where do you prefer to administer the coup de grace? On the second buff, it seemed that you spined him. On the first, however, the one doing the all-hooves-in-the-air hokey pokey dance, where did you plug him, and why?

Thanks for any insight for this some day Africa hunter.

Leighton

Posts: 142 | Location: Boston, MA | Registered: 15 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I posted this URL on another hunting site since I thought they'd enjoy it, and am steaming over the crying going on. Some about seeing the animals die and the rest about shot placement.

I can't believe that there were hunters that bitched about seeing the animals die! These are the same guys that'll bowhunt, have their animals run off and never see an animal die and be prefectly happy. If you are man enough to decide to kill an animal, then in my book you should be man enough to witness the outcome from it!

Then when shotplacement is critiqued because that is not where they'd shoot a Whitetail, well that just pushed me over the edge!

http://www.michigan-sportsman.com/forum/showthread.php?p=607803#post607803

From reading one of Anne's posts over there I think she now has the same opinion of the site

Posts: 543 | Location: Belmont, MI | Registered: 19 December 2002Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
The best place for a finihsing shot is the back of the head. Sometimes that is not possible, as the animal is lying in the grass, and you cannot see him that clearly.

The one jumping up in the air was shot in the heart. If I am close enough, I try to break the neck, but in this case, which he was over 200 yards away, a chest shot was the onlu option.

Administrator
posted Hide Post
Some of those gentlemen must have been reading the PETA handbook of how to hunt.

Extracts:

"1. One must wait until the animal is standing still broadside.

2. One should NOT shoot an animal that is moving.

3. If you are too far from the animal to hear you whisper, do NOT shoot. You are too far to make a killing shot.

4. Never, EVER, shoot an animal except through the heart.

5. If any animal you shoot does not drop in its tracks stone dead, you should be ashamed of yourself and give up hunting.

6. Join PETA, and live happily ever after on grass and carrots "

Obviously, some of those hunters have never been on a real hunting trip.

They probably have feeds and feed their deer all year round, come "hunting" season. They sit in their trucks at shoot their deer at 20 yards.

Lovely, real hunting!

The buffalo they were complaining about being shot while running up the rear end.

It was hit just behind the shoulder, the bullet actually taking teh top of the heart off, and the bullet came out just at the shoulder neck junction.

Blood was pouring out of that wound for about 70 yards while the buffalo was running. He stopped then and was about to drop, but, another shot was placed into him.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I hear you Saeed! I think these guys watch the Discovery Channel and see Buffalo 10' from the film truck and figure when hunting you walk up, pick out the one you want and shoot it. Croc's just sit there and look at you while you shoot them

What sent me over the edge, is that guys that have probably never shot a big game animal other than a deer are speaking with authority on shooting african game using deer as their only reference. And don't like seeing a animal die. The day I can't take watching an animal die by my hand is the day I quit hunting. Whether they see it or not doesn't change the outcome.

I'm still steaming over the moronic responses! I need to learn to just let things go I guess

Anyway, great footage! I enjoyed it quite a bit, so to hell with the new PETA branch of hunters.

Posts: 543 | Location: Belmont, MI | Registered: 19 December 2002Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
We have a friend's wife visiting us, and we were discussing some of the so called "nature" films they show on TV lately.

A lot of them are made to a specific script, with the help of the filming crew.

One of the ones that really got me mad was about how a baby elephant got seperated from his mother and the herd, and they followed it for two days until it was killed by lions!

I am absolutely certain the film crew seperated that baby from the herd, just to film it die, to suit their pre-conceived script.

On another occasion, there was a film about a leopard being put back into teh wild.

They showed the leopard "stalking" an impala at a water hole. But as the camera pans to the impala, the impala was lying on the ground stone dead, just as the leopard jumped on it.

I think some of our friends on that forum must have read some of the hunting stories published in SCI magazine.

Where it says something like "(name) hunted Africa, and harvested 12 animals with 12 shots". An old PH friend of mine said any time he sees an article like that, he KNOWS the so called hunt was conducted on a farm.

If any hunter claims that he has not missed or wounded game animals, then he is lying.

As simple as that.

Sorry, but these are the facts of real hunting. And sooner or later, one will miss and one will wound an animal.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Saeed: Don't let these dumbasses rile you. I have myself missed a shot, wounded an animal, and I've shot many with a Texas Heart Shot. These are the type people who have a holier than thou attitude that give PETA, etc. ammunition.

I hunted last year with a herpetologist who told me that the "Crocodile Hunter" takes all his snakes out of the cold box shortly before he films him handling them. We agreed that that guy is probably going to be responsible for many people getting bit by poisonous snakes because of the way he handles them. Other people will think, if he can do it so can I.

Posts: 1450 | Location: Dakota Territory | Registered: 13 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Go to the Aussie forum and ask those guys what they think of the Croc Hunter. Saeed, as for the few who live in the Disneyland world of hunting, they are not worth one grey hair. Not going to change their views. Nice Hunt and thanks for sharing.>John

PS: That little daughter of yours is going to give you enough grey hairs without you getting them from anywhere else. Believe me I know.

Posts: 725 | Location: Upstate Rural NY | Registered: 16 July 2004Reply With Quote