THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    Question for Canadians hunting Zim 2011

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Question for Canadians hunting Zim 2011
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
What is the way going about getting into Zim from Canada,regarding arms embargo,is there a legit way?

Posts: 1128 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 22 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If I were to go to Zim, I'd be using the outfitter's rifle. Can't transit the US with a firearm so that leaves Europe. Some people will fly to RSA/Zambia, collect their rifles and go through local customs/legalities. The next step is to use your separately issued airline ticket for the RSA/Zam to Zim flight. Do the Zim legalities on arrival. Reverse things coming back. Must have separate airline tickets for the trip in and out of Zim. I don't actually know if this is legit or not, just that it happens.

Dean

...I say that hunters go into Paradise when they die, and live in this world more joyfully than any other men.
-Edward, Duke of York

Posts: 876 | Location: Halkirk Ab | Registered: 11 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of white north
posted Hide Post
Permit to transit the U.S. with a firearm
Published 04/02/2004 12:11 PM | Updated 05/07/2010 01:42 PM | Notify Me
If I am transiting the U.S. with a firearm, do I need a permit?

If you are transiting the U.S. by air, you do not need a permit from the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives (ATF), however, you may need a DSP-61 (Temporary Import License) from the Department of State. If you have questions about whether a DSP-61 is needed, you should contact the U.S. Department of State, Office of Defense Trade Controls at (202) 663-2714. If you are transiting by car, except for the below exception, please contact the ATF for guidance. However, Canadian citizens coming across the border with a firearm with the intent of transiting only to go back into Canada at another port of entry (without stopping and hunting in the U.S.), only need a valid U.S. hunting license issued by any state. When you arrive at the border, you should declare the firearm and ammunition. Explain that you are transiting the U.S. to get to another Canadian location where you will be hunting. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) strongly recommends you have the following documentation:

· Canadian permit for the firearm

· A certificate of registration from Canada Customs authorizing the re-entry of the firearm and ammo into Canada

· A hunting license

If you are transiting with a firearm and the purpose is not hunting, you will need to obtain the form A 6 from ATF authorizing the entry of the firearm into the U.S. Also, if you stop and stay to either hunt or take possession of a firearm in the U.S., you will need to get the Form 6 from ATF.

I got that from the US Customs & Border Protection website.

Hope that helps you.

Wjite North

Posts: 126 | Location: Arviat, Nunavut, CANADA | Registered: 02 March 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
WN,

Interesting stuff. I know that the intent of the American legislation was not to stop transit of firearms, but in practice it has been applied to do so. Have you heard of anyone traveling through the US by air with a firearm lately?

Dean

...I say that hunters go into Paradise when they die, and live in this world more joyfully than any other men.
-Edward, Duke of York

Posts: 876 | Location: Halkirk Ab | Registered: 11 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Buzz
Basically the answer is no! Currently Canada will not issue a Temporary Export Licence to take hunting rifles to Zim. I was issued licence in 2009 but apparently this was issued in error. Many Canadian hunters do not apply for this Temp Export Licence either because they don’t know about the requirement or can’t be bothered. No one has asked me to produce this licence. It is possible to be issued a Licence for SA and then travel on to Zim but we have to supply a “Letter of Invitation” as part of the supporting documents when we apply for the Export Licence, a false letter would maybe place the PH in a compromising situation.

Posts: 137 | Location: Manitoba, Canada | Registered: 25 August 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Here is a more detailed answer that I had posted here previously.

I just submitted the following question to DFAIT (Dept of Foreign Affairs and International Trade Canada)

Good morning Paul

Is your dept still issuing Temp Export Licenses for hunters to take firearms to Zimbabwe for hunting? Thank you.

Best regards
John Hipwell
Hunt Africa
www.huntafrica.ca
Tel: 204 748 2454
Fax: 204 748 1805

This is the reply I received:

Dear Mr Hipwell,

We have received your enquiry on the permit requirements for the temporary export of a rifle and associated items to Zimbabwe.

Noted below are two web addresses for information regarding the Special Economics Measures Act (SEMA) and the prohibitions currently in force on exports to Zimbabwe or to any person in Zimbabwe. With regard to your proposed applications, it should be noted that there is currently in place a ban on the export of arms and related material to Zimbabwe or to any person in Zimbabwe. This ban includes the export of hunting rifles to Zimbabwe on a temporary basis. It is the practice of the Department of Foreign Affairs and International Trade in these circumstances to proceed first with the processing of the permit application submitted under the Special Economic Measures (Zimbabwe) Permit Authorization Order, and thereafter to review your permit application submitted under the Export and Import Permits Act (EIPA)

The following are internet links that you can paste into your browser to access more detailed information on SEMA and Zimbabwe.
http://www.international.gc.ca...ng&menu_id=25&menu=R
http://canadagazette.gc.ca/rp-...sor-dors248-eng.html
If you would like to apply for a permit under the Special Economic Measures (Zimbabwe) Permit Authorization Order, please contact the Economic Law Section (JLHB) of DFAIT at sanctions@international.gc.ca or by mail at:
Economic Law Division (JLHB)
Department of Foreign Affairs and International Trade
125 Sussex Dr.
Ottawa, ON K1A 0G2
The Export Controls Division does not provide interpretations of statutes or regulations to the public. If you require assistance in interpreting a statute or regulations, or specific elements thereof, we recommend that you seek independent legal counsel.
Further information on the export permit process under the EIPA is available on the Export Controls Division website at http://www.exportcontrols.gc.ca. Additional internet links are provided below for your reference.
I trust this answers your question.
Sincerely,

Paul Galveias
Senior Export Control Officer / Agent principal de contrôles à l'exportation
Export Controls Division/Direction des contrôles à l'exportation
Export and Import Controls Bureau/Direction générale des contrôles à l'exportation et à l'importation
111 Sussex Drive, Ottawa, Ontario K1N 1J1
Tel (613)944-0470; FAX (613) 996-9933
paul.galveias@international.gc.ca

Further to the above:
In June of 2009 I was issued a Temp Export licence for five rifles, three telescopic sights and ammunition in five calibers, my final destination was listed as Hwange, Zimbabwe. ( I only take 2 rifles but on this occasion I needed the option on deciding what to take as my spare rifle at the last minute.)

From my personal observations there is a big disconnect between DEFAIT, Canadian Border Services, Airline Policy, Foreign Customs and the SAP. Each authority is usually only interested in enforcing their own policy/regulations. I must advise clients to cover all their bases and not ignore one requirement simply because others have found that it is not enforced.

So in answer to the original question on Temp Export Licences to Zim for firearms: First you need to apply for Special Economic Measures (Zimbabwe) Permit Authorization Order, and if issued then apply for your export license.

You can certainly travel to SA with (or without!) a temp Export License and then move into Zim with no export license and in all probability no one will ever know! Would that be a smart thing to do? That is your decision? I certainly will take no chance in losing an expensive DR, having been their once already, but that is another story.

Posts: 137 | Location: Manitoba, Canada | Registered: 25 August 2007Reply With Quote