Notify
Tools

Victoria Falls / 150 th anniversery
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Balla Balla
posted
Guests

It is worth noting that THIS YEAR marks the 150 th anniversery of the discovery by Dr. David Livingstone of the Victoria Falls.

Regards, Peter
------------------------

The Victoria Falls. located on the southern most edge of Zambia is a World Heritage Site. It is the largest curtain of falling water in the world and one of the 7 natural wonders of the world.

The falls, 1708 meters wide, drops 108 meter and spills 550 000 cubic litres of water per minute increasing speed down the narrow chasm.

The Victoria Falls was named after the Queen of England by explorer and missionary Dr. David Livingstone who first saw them on 16th November 1855.

The mighty Victoria Falls is divided into 6 waterfalls and has changed position 8 times from its present location leaving deep gorges in its previous locations.

The Falls are also known as "Mosi-oa-tunya" which means "The smoke that thunders" due to its tremendous noise and vapour it causes.

Livingstone Town, the former capital of Zambia and home to the great Victoria Falls was named after David Livingstone. The town was born in February 1905.

By 1920 Livingstone already had a vital locomotive depot, a government house, a post office, a civil service, two hotels and a few shops.

Livingstone today has become the focal point of any tourist to Southern Africa. It has much to offer all types of visitors from game drives in the Mosi oa Tunya National Park for the laid-back tourist to adrenalin pumping adventures of bungi jumping off the Victoria Falls bridge 111 meters down, making it the second highest jump in the world.

Posts: 3331 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JudgeG
posted Hide Post
If you even have the slightest interest in seeing Victoria Falls, let me encourage to make it part of your trip to Africa. Especially in April and May (I think that's when the water is highest.. correct me if I'm wrong), enough water goes over the falls in three (3) seconds to fullfill all the water needs for Johannesburg for a whole year. The picture below was in late November and it still is truly a wonder of the world.

Make sure you see it from both the Zim and Zam sides and if you're brave, fly the ultralight. Go eat at the Victoria Falls Hotel and the Boma, too.

I also suggest, whether or not you've been to the falls, that you read this book. You'll enjoy a wonderfully written history of the Good Doctor.
INTO AFRICA

Maybe Balla Balla will suggests some places to visit on the Zambia side??? Good places to eat and drink?

JudgeG ... just counting time 'til I am again finding balm in Gilead chilled out somewhere in the Selous.

Posts: 7592 | Location: GA | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I visited Vic Falls for the first and only time on my way to a hunt in 2002. They are something that should be seen, but I wish I had seen them at another time, the political situation had reached the area, and the falls were pretty much deserted, maybe 20 or so people visiting when I was there, mostly Oriental tourists. We had a drink at one of the bars which was a very nice place, but it too was empty, and the PH and myself were the only ones drinking at the bar. What I remember most were the big pictures of Robert hanging on the wall when you walk in the door of most establishments, the youth gangs on the corners, and lots of guys with AK47's slung over their shoulders. I wonder if things will remain the same in the future? It must have been a much busier place in the past.

Posts: 1357 | Location: Texas | Registered: 17 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Balla Balla
posted Hide Post
RBHunt & other extinguished guests

The best side to view the Falls is from the [Zambia side of the border]

Zimbabwe is a piss off with all the bullshit going on there. It is a ghost town now compared to the Zambia side of the border / Livingstone.

Sun International had enough brains to put their new international hotel in Livingstone, you can sit on the deck at the [ Royal Livingstone hotel ] and marvel at the waterfall some 100 yards from where you are enjoying your sundowner. Then of cource there is the booze cruise on the mighty Zambezi river, the Mukuni villiage, a crocodile farm and on and on. Flights over the Falls, bungy jumping white water rafting, lodges along the river, some el cheapo, some fit for a Matabele King ....

If you do one thing in your life VISIT the FALLS .... believe me, listen to a wrinkled old SOB white African, you will NEVER regret it and you can RIP for the rest of your life

Peter

Posts: 3331 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jaco Human
posted Hide Post
I must agree with Peter, a truly magnificent place to visit. I spend 3 days at Vic falls with my wife a couple of years ago. Amongst other things we did the white water rafting. It was an awesome experience. Definately one of the highlights of my life.

Take the time and go there.

Life is how you spend the time between hunting trips.

Through Responsible Sustainable hunting we serve Conservation.
Outfitter permit no. Limpopo ZA/LP/73984
PH permit no. Limpopo ZA/LP/81197
Jaco Human
SA Hunting Experience

jacohu@mweb.co.za
www.sahuntexp.com

Posts: 1250 | Location: Centurion and Limpopo RSA | Registered: 02 October 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NitroX
posted Hide Post
I've been there in 1988, 1994 and 2002. Went white water rafting the first two times and it was great fun. Definitely worth a full day's white water rafting if you are so inclined.

Visiting from the Zambia side and touristing from there sounds like a better deal. It was already quite dead in 2002 and would only have worsened.

John H.

NitroExpress.com - the net's double rifle forum

Posts: 10138 | Location: Wine Country, Barossa Valley, Australia | Registered: 06 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If in Vic Falls, can you just wander over to the Zambian side (I seem to recall there is a bridge)?? Apart from passport controls, are there visa requirements?? What about getting back into Zim. I'd like to see the Zambian side, sure sounds nice.
- mike

The rifle is a noble weapon... It entices its bearer into primeval forests, into mountains and deserts untenanted by man. - Horace Kephart

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You can get a day permit to exit zim and enter zambia without getting visa or re-entry visa's for both sides.

The nice thiing is the zim side is so dead. I used to go their as a teenager during the war and loved it- often the only person there.

Then it got bussy. Planes, microlights, helicopters, balloons, wall to wall FT's - needed to shoot a couple and get every one to bugger off and leave me alone with my "wonder of the world"

It is like that again now- almost

But yes, the view from Zambia is generally better.

If you can Get there three nights before- three nights after the full moon. I believe that vic falls in one of only two places in the world where you are guaranteed of seeing a lunar rainbow. Quite special- like seeing the northern lights for the first time.

Posts: 3026 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
When I was there in '94 the Zim side was hopping. We stayed at the Vic Falls Hotel and really had a great time. What a shame to see such an incredible spot go down hill.

Regards,

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 12926 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote