New
Find
Notify
Tools

500 NE 3" or 458 Lott
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I need help to decide what to choose on this to calibers. I have an Ruger #1 and I like to build one of this calibers on that, but i don�t know if I shall choose 458 Lott or 500 NE 3"

I have an 458WM now so maybe it�s better to build something in another caliber. I think it�s gonna to be problem to get cases and bullets to 500 NE here from Sweden. Maybe a 460 G&A is a better choice to go on.

Posts: 103 | Location: Sweden | Registered: 14 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
No. 1's are not known for recoil management so either a lott or a 500 ne will kick the potatoes out of you. Personally I like the 500.

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
If you already have a .458winnie, then you are only a reamer away from a Lott. I think the .470 would be a great round in the #1. As 500gr said, recoil is stiff on the #1.

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of H T
posted Hide Post
I don't know - maybe it would be cool to have the only single shot 500 N.E. in camp! Recoil won't be a huge amount different among any of the three you've mentioned. It will however be huge.

Should be a truly fun and interesting rifle. Anyway, that's the one I'd pick just to be different. Component availability is something I don't have information about, though.

Posts: 731 | Location: Kerrville, TX | Registered: 24 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 500nitro
posted Hide Post
Shucks, take it from a 500NE Ruger #1 owner, there is nothing as neat [Smile]
Cases and bullets are easily available, it does push a wee bit under recoil.

Posts: 1069 | Location: Durban,KZN, South Africa | Registered: 16 January 2001Reply With Quote