New
Find
Notify
Tools

Neat new season of Under Wild Skies
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Interesting season just released on MyOutdoorTV. They stitched together stories and clips of the last 25 years into episodes. I'm assuming due to COVID and the inability to travel to hunt. Neat concept and certainly entertaining to watch. Tony Makris had a huge influence on my love for African hunting from a young age, I really enjoy watching him.

Posts: 1449 | Location: New England | Registered: 22 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DCS Member
posted Hide Post
Thank you. I also am a big tony Makris fan. He has a great way to tell stories and seems to respect the game and the sport. I also love seeing his fine guns.

I meant to be DSC Member...bad typing skills.

Marcus Cady

DRSS

Posts: 3453 | Location: Dallas | Registered: 19 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
+1 I always like Tony's show, and one day, had an idea that I would like to get a hat like his to use in Africa while hunting. I knew that Tony was always covering up while hunting because of skin cancers that he had experienced. I reached out to Johan Calitz's outfit and they said that they would pass my request for information on the hat on. Subsequently, I was driving to work one morning and got a cal, and lo and behold it was Tony personally calling me to talk to me about his hat. He talked with me a good 30 minutes about hunting, the hat and Africa. A very personable and down to earth individual. Not many of them nowadays in the hunting world.

One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the recommendation. I will have to tune in.

One thing I have learned during this lock down, to the extent I didn't already know it, is that there is practically NOTHING worth watching on television!

Always liked Tony Makris's show, when I have been able to catch it.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13623 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Michael Robinson:
Thanks for the recommendation. I will have to tune in.

One thing I have learned during this lock down, to the extent I didn't already know it, is that there is practically NOTHING worth watching on television!

Always liked Tony Makris's show, when I have been able to catch it.

I watch VERY little live television anymore. Usually 30 min or so a night of either a hunting show (on MOTV) or maybe if theres a good cooking show on (Good Eats). They even ruined the food network with all of these competition cooking shows.....sheesh.

Posts: 1449 | Location: New England | Registered: 22 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
+2

Posts: 2624 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 26 May 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Clayman
posted Hide Post
Cool. I wondered what happened to that show; it has been one of my favorites for a long time. Tony is one of the classier gentlemen in the hunting game. I had the pleasure of exchanging a few pleasantries with him at an NRA meeting a few years back. Great guy.

How do you get access to myOutdoor TV? I've seen the commercials on the hunting channels but have never dabbled with the streaming stuff.

Posts: 1225 | Location: Gilbertsville, PA | Registered: 08 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Clayman:
Cool. I wondered what happened to that show; it has been one of my favorites for a long time. Tony is one of the classier gentlemen in the hunting game. I had the pleasure of exchanging a few pleasantries with him at an NRA meeting a few years back. Great guy.

How do you get access to myOutdoor TV? I've seen the commercials on the hunting channels but have never dabbled with the streaming stuff.

You can subscribe through their website. I think its $99/year for unlimited streaming. You can then access it on your computer/tablet/smartTV.

One of Us
Picture of SFRanger7GP
posted Hide Post
Has anyone else been having trouble with the MyOutdoorTV app? I am having problems on all devices for the past few weeks. I will be wathcing a show and it just shutsdown. No problems with any other apps or programs,

Posts: 887 | Location: Wichita Falls Texas or Colombia | Registered: 25 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bcolyer
posted Hide Post
Speaking of TV - it is quickly becoming a thing of the past at our home. Despite being just plain poor, we are completely burned out on the bias media, and everyone putting their spin on the ‘Breaking News’ of the day!! Ha.
I have spent my time reading the many volumes of wonderful books by very good authors, and purchased many new exceptional books also. Go thou and do likewise.
I do like the Makris series however.

Posts: 505 | Location: Farmington, New Mexico | Registered: 05 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
We met Tony at the airport in Johannesburg a few years back. Super nice fellow! Had a real nice chat with him. He was off on another adventure to Mozambique if I remember right.

I do really like his show.

Posts: 835 | Location: Plover, Wi | Registered: 04 October 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DCS Member
posted Hide Post
I know he and Johan Calitz were shut down when Botswana closed. It was the same with Jeff Rann's show, which was quality. Rann just hated sleeves.

I meant to be DSC Member...bad typing skills.

Marcus Cady

DRSS

Posts: 3453 | Location: Dallas | Registered: 19 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I liked the Botswana shows far more than the Mozambique shows.

Posts: 12094 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bwana338
posted Hide Post
About 5 years ago, we went with the basic package for TV programing, I now watch about 5 hours a week (if that). I went Without a TV for about 20 years, and did not miss anything, as you are always doing something. I gave up watching the NBA, NFL when they went on strike, as I did not watch other sports or racing programs, you know nothing is being missed. I tune in to Collage sports and that is also passing me by. Stopped listening to the radio and now listen to Books on DVD when traveling.

I will watch a program or two on YouTube, only when someone on here puts their hunt there to watch and enjoy.

I have and will do so again, I plan to purchase some DVD and many good Books to watch or read. Right now Safari Press has their summer sale on going and I am looking to restock some new reading materials.

While Under Wild Skies may be good, I have no plans to purchase the add on package to maybe watch it.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

"You've got the strongest hand in the world. That's right. Your hand. The hand that marks the ballot. The hand that pulls the voting lever. Use it, will you" John Wayne

Posts: 1626 | Location: West River at Heart | Registered: 08 April 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bud Meadows
posted Hide Post
While I really enjoy Under Wild Skies, the newest season of “Hornadys Dark and Dangerous “ may be even better. Steve Hornady, the CEO, is the host and the episode I watched earlier this week featured both his daughter and her husband shooting trophy buffs. His narration is understated and the quality of the footage is first rate. I highly recommend this show.

Jesus saves, but Moses invests

Posts: 1388 | Location: Lake Bluff, IL | Registered: 02 May 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bud Meadows
posted Hide Post
Just watched another episode of “Dark & Dangerous “. This one featured Steve’s teenaged granddaughter Abby hunting plainsgame with her father Jason. She shot a trophy Impala and also a gorgeous Wildebeest. Young hunters like Abby are the future of African hunting.

Jesus saves, but Moses invests

Posts: 1388 | Location: Lake Bluff, IL | Registered: 02 May 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dark and dangerous is another one I have to watch with the mute button on because of that stupid overpowering music.

DRSS

Posts: 1167 | Location: Pamplico, SC USA | Registered: 24 August 2005Reply With Quote