Find
Notify
Tools

Crusader Safaris - South Africa
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of LittleJoe
posted
I listened intently and was quite impressed with the information presented and shown to me and a friend at SCI. Crusader indicated that they have a free ranging area in RSA. Just wondering if anyone can provide me feedback. My buddy has a high interest level for him and a friend.

Thanks,

Justin

Posts: 1355 | Registered: 04 November 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Andrew McLaren
posted Hide Post
This feedback is not about Crusader Safaris at all - but about free range hunting in South Africa.

I started my "hunting" career in 1958 by shooting [not hunting - just shooting] springbok under free range conditions in the Karroo. Then many years later I started "hunting" as an independent adult, and I really mean true hunting, on High Fenced properties.

The honesty and ethics of the hunting is notdetermined by the fence surrounding, or lack of fence not surrounding, the hunting area. If, for you or any other hunter, it is important to be able to say "I have hunted of a free range property", then by all means book with any one of a great many of hunting outfitters who specifically offer free range hunting. For me personally free range or high fenced [but not Put-'n-Take] is 6 of one and 1/2 dozen of the other.

Enjoy your search, research, planning and the whole bunch of activities leading to and finally the hunt itself! Wink

Andrew McLaren
Professional Hunter and Hunting Outfitter since 1974.

http://www.mclarensafaris.com The home page to go to for custom planning of ethical and affordable hunting of plains game in South Africa!
Enquire about any South African hunting directly from andrew@mclarensafaris.com

After a few years of participation on forums, I have learned that:

One can cure:

Lack of knowledge – by instruction. Lack of skills – by practice. Lack of experience – by time doing it.

One cannot cure:

Stupidity – nothing helps! Anti hunting sentiments – nothing helps! Put-‘n-Take Outfitters – money rules!

My very long ago ancestors needed and loved to eat meat. Today I still hunt!

Posts: 1799 | Location: Soutpan, Free State, South Africa | Registered: 19 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LittleJoe:
I listened intently and was quite impressed with the information presented and shown to me and a friend at SCI. Crusader indicated that they have a free ranging area in RSA. Just wondering if anyone can provide me feedback. My buddy has a high interest level for him and a friend.

Thanks,

Justin
Hey Justin - I hunted their main KZN are in March 2011. Cant say enough good things about Andrew Pringle - he is certainly dedicated to providing great affordable free-range hunting.

My report here... http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6591012351

Couple other AR members have hunted with them too. If you have any questions dont hesitate to ask!!

A day spent in the bush is a day added to your life
Hunt Australia - Website
Hunt Australia - Facebook
Hunt Australia - TV

Posts: 4456 | Location: Australia | Registered: 23 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of FOsteology
posted Hide Post
My youngest son and I hunted with Crusader back in June 2011. Andrew and Chris run a very good outfit. They hunt several areas that are large (100k+ acres), free-range, and terrain quite different from area to area.

Posts: 1181 | Location: Texas | Registered: 23 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I remember that AR member Aziz posted a report about his freerange nyala hunt. Search in the report forum.

http://www.dr-safaris.com/
Instagram: dr-safaris

Posts: 2091 | Location: Around the wild pockets of Europe | Registered: 09 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of leopards valley safaris
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Andrew McLaren:
This feedback is not about Crusader Safaris at all - but about free range hunting in South Africa.

Crusader hunt low fenced ranch areas in KZN and the Eastern Cape.They somtimes hunt on my neighbouring concessions, all low fenced ranchland, that forms part of my main hunting area.Have had their clients overnight with me too.They are a good reputable outfit and you shouldnt have any problems.

Dave Davenport
Outfitters license HC22/2012EC
Pro Hunters license PH74/2012EC
www.leopardsvalley.co.za
dave@leopardsvalley.co.za
+27 42 24 61388
HUNT AFRICA WHILE YOU STILL CAN
Follow us on FACEBOOK https://www.facebook.com/#!/leopardsvalley.safaris

Posts: 980 | Location: South Africa | Registered: 06 December 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BNagel
posted Hide Post
Justin

My outfitter has booked with them (and I wish I could go right away.) The kudu and bushbuck (Umkomaas conaservancy area) are impressive!

Posts: 4881 | Location: Bryan, Texas | Registered: 12 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of LittleJoe
posted Hide Post
I don't have problems hunting behind a large fence but my friend refuses to do so. Just a personal decision he has made. Mr. Pringle was top notch to speak with at SCI.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

The honesty and ethics of the hunting is notdetermined by the fence surrounding, or lack of fence not surrounding, the hunting area. If, for you or any other hunter, it is important to be able to say "I have hunted of a free range property", then by all means book with any one of a great many of hunting outfitters who specifically offer free range hunting. For me personally free range or high fenced [but not Put-'n-Take] is 6 of one and 1/2 dozen of the other.

How does the unsuspecting hunter determine that a high-fence operation is not put-and-take?

Hunt Australia - Website
Hunt Australia - TV

One of Us
Picture of TexasHunter
posted Hide Post
I have had an opportunity to hunt with Chris and Andrew a couple times and you will not find nicer guys. I have spent 20+ days in the field with them and they love what they do.

Posts: 126 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 30 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of LittleJoe
posted Hide Post
In talking with Andrew for an hour I was absolutely convinced I wanted to hunt with him someday.

one of us
Picture of Andrew McLaren
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Matt Graham:
quote:

How does the unsuspecting hunter determine that a high-fence operation is not put-and-take?

This is a very relevant question! Difficult to reply to also! Some time ago I made an attempt to, in a series of postings here on AR, give some guidance of "spotting the difference" between honest high fenced hunting and put-'n-take hunting. Here is at least a partial reply to your question.

In good hunting.

Andrew McLaren
Professional Hunter and Hunting Outfitter since 1974.

http://www.mclarensafaris.com The home page to go to for custom planning of ethical and affordable hunting of plains game in South Africa!
Enquire about any South African hunting directly from andrew@mclarensafaris.com

After a few years of participation on forums, I have learned that:

One can cure:

Lack of knowledge – by instruction. Lack of skills – by practice. Lack of experience – by time doing it.

One cannot cure:

Stupidity – nothing helps! Anti hunting sentiments – nothing helps! Put-‘n-Take Outfitters – money rules!

My very long ago ancestors needed and loved to eat meat. Today I still hunt!

Posts: 1799 | Location: Soutpan, Free State, South Africa | Registered: 19 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Justin. -- My family made a trip to RSA in March 2011, mainly to hunt with Crusader in their Eastern Cape and KwaZulu Natal areas.
It was an awesome hunt!

We booked thru Greg Rodriguez at Global Adventure Outfitters, which helped a lot.

PM me for a hunt report. You can't go wrong with these folks.

Jack Hood

DRSS

Posts: 253 | Location: West Texas | Registered: 19 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Andrew i agree with you. The one thing that gets to me is that some foreign hunters do not want to hunt on fenced properties in R.S.A. however when i watch hunting on E.S.P.N. it is common to see rifle hunters sitting in a box on top of a frame work waiting to shoot a buck. I at one time i also noticed a grain spreader in the background of one of the hides. This i do not support.
I unfortunately cannot afford to travel to so called open areas and as such i must hunt locally on stock farms. There have been many occasions when i have walked all day only to return home empty handed. As for put and take i heard the following from a reliable source.
An outfitter bought a White Rhino on a Provincial auction. They obviously had a buyer in mind because a "hunter" flew in and was taken to the game reserve where the Rhino was resident. Apparently a bakkie was used to approach the Rhino whereupon the "hunter" proceeded to shoot at the Rhino. When the Rhino died he went forward to have his photos taken with his trophy.

One of Us
Picture of LittleJoe
posted Hide Post
This post is not a debate about fences. It is about mr Pringle and Crusader Safaris.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've hunted with them twice. First time was great second time not so great......I'll leave it at that. Had nothing to do with the hunting, just how we were treated.

Picture of African Dreamer
posted Hide Post
Justin,

My wife and I have hunted with Andrew and Chris twice (2009 and 2011). We have hunted their three main areas; 1) Baviaans, 2) Umkomass and 3) Stormberg. Both trips were fabulous! If you would like more information, feel free to PM me and I can share all the details of each hunt.

Posts: 11 | Location: Portland, OR | Registered: 06 March 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of LittleJoe
posted Hide Post
I would be after the Springbok slam, and Oribi for sure. Then have to spend a few days looking for those big Kudu bulls. The 60+ inch bulls are the exception to the rule; I know but they are there and would be fun to search for. I could always handle another Nyala and Bushbuck as well.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LittleJoe:
I would be after the Springbok slam, and Oribi for sure. Then have to spend a few days looking for those big Kudu bulls. The 60+ inch bulls are the exception to the rule; I know but they are there and would be fun to search for. I could always handle another Nyala and Bushbuck as well.
Yeah I'd go back to look for one of those big bulls. I know they only get a couple a year that genuinelyy go 60 but it's all in the lookin'. Not that I am unhappy with the brute that I killed... he just had those extra inches worn off!! Big Grin

Hunt Australia - Website
Hunt Australia - TV

One of Us
Picture of TexasHunter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by African Dreamer:
Justin,

My wife and I have hunted with Andrew and Chris twice (2009 and 2011). We have hunted their three main areas; 1) Baviaans, 2) Umkomass and 3) Stormberg. Both trips were fabulous! If you would like more information, feel free to PM me and I can share all the details of each hunt.

So African Dreamer - since you are from Portland, OR - do you know Chris' wife and family?

Posts: 126 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 30 January 2006Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Hi Little Joe, my brother and I just returned from Crusader Safaris this past May. We had an incredible safari. Andrew is first class all the way. Greg Rodriguez with Global Adventure Outfitters is their exclusive booking agent here in the states. We took some incredible trophies including a 63" Kudu, 29" Nyalas and monster Common Reedbucks. They are known for their Bushbuck and Common Reedbuck in the Umkomaas camp. Pm me if I can be of help. We have also hunted with the big eastern cape outfit out of Port Elizabeth you hunted with as well. Umkomaas camp is home of the larger Greater Kudu, Nyala, and bushbuck. They have two other camps in the Baviaans and Karoo for other species as well. We are already booked to go back.

Posts: 24 | Location: friendswood texas | Registered: 01 March 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 500 bull:
Hi Little Joe, my brother and I just returned from Crusader Safaris this past May. We had an incredible safari. Andrew is first class all the way. Greg Rodriguez with Global Adventure Outfitters is their exclusive booking agent here in the states. We took some incredible trophies including a 63" Kudu, 29" Nyalas and monster Common Reedbucks. They are known for their Bushbuck and Common Reedbuck in the Umkomaas camp. Pm me if I can be of help. We have also hunted with the big eastern cape outfit out of Port Elizabeth you hunted with as well. Umkomaas camp is home of the larger Greater Kudu, Nyala, and bushbuck. They have two other camps in the Baviaans and Karoo for other species as well. We are already booked to go back.
Hey mate - sorry iif you have already posted a hunt report ... but I would sure like to see a picture of that kudu bull!! jumping

If you dont know how to post image by all means email it to me and I will do it.

Cheers

Hunt Australia - Website
Hunt Australia - TV

posted Hide Post
Hi Matt, I am not tech savy enough to post pics here, but check your email. Pic is on the way.

Posts: 24 | Location: friendswood texas | Registered: 01 March 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Holy snapping duckshit... that is a wicked kudu. Bear in mind folks that this is a 100% WILD kudu and at 63 inches long, i would think, is way beyond normal expectations...

500Bulls common reedbuck from the same area...

Hunt Australia - Website
Hunt Australia - TV

Picture of African Dreamer
posted Hide Post
Texashunter,

Yes, my wife and I know Chris' wife and family. They have always treated us well! Like Matt Graham mentioned, they have some bruiser Greater Southern Kudu bulls in the Umkomass. I shot a 58 1/2 incher there in 2011.

Posts: 11 | Location: Portland, OR | Registered: 06 March 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bren7X64
posted Hide Post
Sheeeit - what do they feed those things - horn steroids?

I've never seen a reedbuck nore than about half that size and that kudu is unbelievable.

--
Promise me, when I die, don't let my wife sell my guns for what I told I her I paid for them.

Posts: 1048 | Location: Canberra, Australia | Registered: 03 August 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bren7X64:
Sheeeit - what do they feed those things - horn steroids?

I've never seen a reedbuck nore than about half that size and that kudu is unbelievable.
Good tucker ... when I was there in March it was raining every day and the grass was deep and green on the basalt hills... really good country, perfect mixture of pasture and thorn cover and excellent management!!!

Hunt Australia - Website
Hunt Australia - TV

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bren7X64:

There are 3 species of Reedbuck and the horns of the Common Reedbuck are far longer than those of its cousins.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wow Matt!

Posts: 1490 | Location: New York | Registered: 01 January 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Not my trophies mate - I posted them for 500 bull.

I only shot a little kudu in that area...

Hunt Australia - Website
Hunt Australia - TV