Tools

OOA - At It Again
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted
Ranger implicated in $55m bribery

Godfrey Marawanyika/Ndamu Sandu Friday, 16 July 2004

A SENIOR National Parks game ranger has been implicated in a bribery case involving $55 million to allow a South African firm to conduct illegal hunting.

Documents in the possession of the Zimbabwe Independent show that Thomas Chimedza was paid $55 million by Out of Africa, a South African-registered firm, which wanted to conduct hunts in Matetsi Unit 1, Gwayi and Hwange area.

National Parks authorities have investigated the case and concluded that Chimedza was bribed to allow the illegal hunting. Chimedza, however, denies the charge.

The documents reveal that on May 13, principal warden for investigations and security, Leonard Nhidza, wrote a report to the acting director-general informing him of the findings of investigations.

"In view of the investigations currently under way in relation to the bribery allegations against senior ranger Chimedza, in Matetsi, it has been established that the officer seriously compromised himself by accepting money from Out of Africa," Nhidza wrote.

"The investigations have secured documentary evidence to the effect that Chimedza received money in cheque form and cash from Out of Africa."

The report said that as a result of the bribes, Chimedza allegedly allowed the South African firm to use electronic lion calls at night, spotlights and trophy laundering.

"Through trophy laundering, the South Africans were allowed to hunt on Matetsi Unit 1 but the hunting returns would reflect as if the animals were hunted on some other private properties," Nhidza said. "This would prejudice the Parks Authority of trophy fees and other related charges."

But Chimedza has denied any wrongdoing, saying the payments were made for hunting activities he conducted for the Safari company.

Meanwhile, the chief warden of the National Parks and Wildlife Management Authority, Lovemore Mungwashu, has stepped down after 23 years of service due to alleged interference in day-to-day running of his department by the chairman, Buzwani Mothobi.

"Things came to a head a fortnight ago when the chairman dressed him down in front of juniors during a meeting," officials said.

But Mothobi said that the allegations against him were unfounded.

"The only thing I can say on those allegations is that they are a load of rubbish, that is the best I can say about them," he said.

Posts: 19210 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Dutch
posted Hide Post
Something doesn't add up. $55 million? If a safari costs 10,000 average, that's the total revenue from 5,500 safaris. If the guy got 10%, that makes it 55,000 hunts. No one noticed this before? FWIW, Dutch.

Posts: 4564 | Location: Idaho Falls, ID, USA | Registered: 21 September 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Dutch,

I'm sure the figure quoted is Zim dollars. According to an online currency converter, that equates to $10,260US. And that's using the official exchange rate. Not sure what the black market rate is, but I'm sure it's less favorable.

Posts: 306 | Location: Originally from Texas | Registered: 17 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of David W
posted Hide Post
Dutch,

The story refers to payment of $55 million Zim dollars. Probably around $5000-6000 USD, depending on the exchange rate.

Posts: 1046 | Location: Kerrville, Texas USA | Registered: 02 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Anne, do you know Roland Dourlain? He exhibits at the Flint SCI show. He hunted with OOA last year and I guess liked them. He didn't go to Zim though. You might want to make OOA's situation known more to Flint SCI since they have the one booking agent that go's to the dinner every year that respresents them.

Posts: 543 | Location: Belmont, MI | Registered: 19 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
Hi Gene,

Yes, I have met Roland before. I also noticed that when OOA comes to the SCI events they only offer RSA on the auction block. And they normally represent themselves. They were present this year.

Posts: 19210 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
OAA generally only offers RSA hunts at SCI auctions. BUT, after buying the south african hunt, they try to get you to "upgrade" to Zim. Having been down that road once, I would stress great caution in dealing with OAA.

Bill

Posts: 1088 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah, USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have very good Canadian friends who have just left on a Safari to Zim with OOA. They are going to a Matetsi Concession. Should I alert them of possible problems when they return? I hate the idea of ruining their safari memories for no reason. Thanks Cig 2

Posts: 38 | Location: W.PA Rustbelt | Registered: 06 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TJ
posted Hide Post
I better get my .02 cents in on this one.
We just returned from Namibia and RSA. We hunted with OOA in RSA. To be honest I had my doubts before we went. I figured a big outfit like that probably didn't offer what we wanted. I was wrong. We were met at the Airport, transported to the Lodge and catered to. The accomodations were excellent, the PHs were young but knowledgable. We hunted 4 different farms depending on what we were looking for. We were not pressured in any way to up grade the hunt or to go anywhere else to hunt. We cut our hunt short to go to a friends place near Malelane, and Nick van Rensburg, one of the owners, went out of his way to assist us with the travel arrangements. I'm trying to think of something we weren't happy with, and the only thing I can think of is,I'm more of a tent and a campfire type of person rather than a Chalet and catered meals person.
I know nothing about their operations in other Countries so will not comment on it.
For a first timer, or someone who likes all the amenites of a 5 star hotel, they were great.

Posts: 948 | Location: Kenai, Ak. USA | Registered: 05 November 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
FWIW, found this on another website.

By the way, I am by no means a "Zim-basher", in fact far from it, I'm inclined to support the remaining safari operators there that are doing their best to operate ethically.

This comes from the Hunting report Vol 24 Number #7

its about OUT OF AFRICA'S SAFARIS IN ZIMBABWE

Special Agents of the US Fish & Wildlife Service are investigating US hunters including several bowhunters who have hunted with OOA Safaris in ZIm

The US State Dept black listed Certain Zim Officer and landowners & l and mad It Illegal to Hunt on land owned or controlled by them. There were all Mugabe's buddies.

Out of Africa got some of these illegal concessions and guided US hunters on them, and now they are contacting the US hunters. the Special agents are wearing Wires and willtellyou you are not the target of the investigations which is a lie. They are looking at Lion hunts esp.

They are serving US hunters with Federal subpoenas of your banking & financial records and letters email etc to and from Out of Africa Safari If you refuse you must appear us US federal Court in California. One Federal Agent told the US hunter that he was asked to do the investigation at the request of the Zim Govt!

If you have been contacted by US F & W S agent don't talk to them until you have retained an attorney and the attorney is present during your interrogations.

Remember you have the right to remain silent.

Anythign you tell them can & will be used against you.

There may be other South African Outfitters that may come under investigation for Zim hunting violations.

The US Hunters maybe hapless victims as it virtually impossible to know where or on whose land you ate hunting in Africa s esp Zimbabwe.

However the US F&WS will go after an nail them to the cross.

IN US Federal Court in Baltimore MD rape and murder criminals have a 50% conviction rate but waterfowl baiter's have a 99.3% conviction rate

I feel sorry for the guys that have fallen into this mess but I raised warning about hunting with OOA several times here.

I don't hunt Zim won't hunt Zim and this stuff is the reason why.

sorry to report the grim news.

Posts: 103 | Location: IA | Registered: 08 August 2003Reply With Quote