New
Find
Notify
Tools

Seeking PH references
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Has anyone hunted with Ahmed Patel in Zambia or other countries for that matter? Would you share your thoughts on his abilities?

Posts: 1324 | Registered: 17 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Andrew McLaren
posted Hide Post
121 members and guests have viewed you request. No replies yet! Maybe you should accept the fact that this guy is simply unknown to AR viewers?

He may be good, he may be bad, but you must see at least some red lights if he is totally unknown? Or so mediocre that no one wants to warn you of how poor he is? Or does no one want to recommend him for being so mediocre?

Maybe you should start to think about an alternative PH choice?

In good hunting.

Andrew McLaren.

Andrew McLaren
Professional Hunter and Hunting Outfitter since 1974.

http://www.mclarensafaris.com The home page to go to for custom planning of ethical and affordable hunting of plains game in South Africa!
Enquire about any South African hunting directly from andrew@mclarensafaris.com

After a few years of participation on forums, I have learned that:

One can cure:

Lack of knowledge – by instruction. Lack of skills – by practice. Lack of experience – by time doing it.

One cannot cure:

Stupidity – nothing helps! Anti hunting sentiments – nothing helps! Put-‘n-Take Outfitters – money rules!

My very long ago ancestors needed and loved to eat meat. Today I still hunt!

Posts: 1799 | Location: Soutpan, Free State, South Africa | Registered: 19 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of hhmag
posted Hide Post
We have been hunting Zambia professionally for six years and neither my partner or I have heard of him. I assume he is Kenyan or Mocambican, but not sure. For whom does he hunt, or at least what farm or area?

Hair, not Air!
Rob Martin

Posts: 395 | Location: Florida's Fabulous East Coast | Registered: 26 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of cchunter
posted Hide Post
In my opinion it don't have to be bad that noone have heard of him.

I think there would have been much less wieving on your post if you named the thread "Has anyone hunted with Ahmed Patel in Zambia ", also think that most of the members here never hunted Zambia.

And even if this is the right place for African knowledge I don't know of any member who have anything to say about the PH I have hunted with five times.

Ask the PH for references and check them up, here you will get a good feeling when talking to people if they liked it or not.

Posts: 2121 | Location: Sweden | Registered: 08 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
I once asked the same question here on AR about a PH I later learned had been hunting in Mozambique, Tanzania, Sudan and the CAR for more than 40 years. This guy had hunted with some of the greats, including the late Frank Hibben.

No responses whatsoever.

No responses means nothing.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13633 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I appreciate all comments and due to no feedback as to the question I have come to the conclusion several of you have mentioned. I do have references but am hesitant when receiving references for the obvious reasons. Would you give me a name if you did not know what they were going to be positive. That is the simple reason for inquiring on this site! Thank you very much.

one of us
posted Hide Post
If you are a member of SCI, you might want to contact them and see if they have hunt reports featuring him or his firm. Also, if you subscribe to "The Hunting Report" they might have info on him.

RCG

Posts: 1132 | Location: Land of Lincoln | Registered: 15 June 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Muy- A better question for the viewers might be how to interview a reference. There are some very experienced folks here who may have a trick or two!

Posts: 1339 | Registered: 17 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TJ
posted Hide Post
Gotta agree with MR.
Contrary to some folks opinion here,the internet and AR are not the final words on Africa. There are thousands of people hunting there who do not use the internet. Just because the folks here have not heard of the PH means nothing. Been there done that.
Ask the PH for references.

Posts: 948 | Location: Kenai, Ak. USA | Registered: 05 November 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I just ran his name through "The Hunting Report" and didn't come up with anything.
http://www.huntingreport.com/

Posts: 1508 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 09 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks so much for each of your time and insights. I have managed to get some info via others and will now check a reference or two to see how happy they were on their hunts.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Muy- A good one is to draw the ref out on his African experience. Is it his only trip? Has that ref hunted w/others? You may find that one PH love affair thing, which will taint any ref.

Posts: 1339 | Registered: 17 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Good day all,
I do know Ahmed personally. He is a young chap whose family has been in the wildlife business for years.I know that he is a honest and straight up youngster, I cannot comment on his PH skills as we normally dont use a ph as resident hunters.

Posts: 228 | Location: Zambia | Registered: 25 September 2003Reply With Quote