New
Find
Notify
Tools

Namibia - "Dust Buster"?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I'll be heading back to Namibia this year and after encountering lots of dust, especially on scopes, cameras, and binocs last time had a question for everyone. Is it safe to use the "canned air" on good optic lenses? The ones I have used don't specify use on glass lenses. Also can this type of product be carried on the airlines in your checked bags? Thoughts and personal experiences appreciated.

Larry Sellers

Posts: 3460 | Location: Jemez Mountains, New Mexico | Registered: 09 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
Larry, can't comment on the compressed air, however when I hunted RSA it was dry and lots of dust...Like you say on all optics... coated...I took Zeiss pump spray lens cleaner and saturated to make dirt run off lens and used toilet papaer to pick up debri on scope tube then lens cloth to wipe lens...

Mike

Michael Podwika... DRSS bigbores and hunting www.pvt.co.za " MAKE THE SHOT " 450#2 Famars

Posts: 6768 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Camel hair camera brush?

And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor.

Posts: 863 | Location: Texas | Registered: 25 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ivan carter
posted Hide Post
lary ,
its quite safe, i use it all the time on high end special coated camera lenses ...if you are going to wipe , use a god lint free soft cloth otherwise the dust particles will scratch the coating ...what also works even better is a lens pen, they are very soft and work extremely well ..

"The greatest threat to our wildlife is the thought that someone else will save it”

www.facebook.com/ivancartersafrica

www.ivancarterwca.org
www.ivancarter.com
ivan@ivancarter.com

Posts: 1201 | Location: South Africa  | Registered: 04 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Steve Malinverni
posted Hide Post
Larry,
you can do this test, take some toilet paper, put it near the distributing hole and blow for some second. If the paper remains white without any kind of spot or sign of dirty, well it can be cautiously use.

When I did this kind of test with one bottle of canned air good for clean keyboards and computers from dust, I found a spot of humidity and I don't know what (maybe oily or greasy) on the paper. And I did not used it on the lenses.

bye
Stefano
Waidmannsheil

Posts: 1653 | Location: Milano Italy | Registered: 04 July 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Safari-Hunt
posted Hide Post
Canned air works but I dont know if they will allow it on airlines.

Lenspen is the way to go.

Frederik Cocquyt
I always try to use enough gun but then sometimes a brainshot works just as good.

Posts: 2548 | Location: Pretoria, Gauteng, South Africa | Registered: 06 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Karl S
posted Hide Post
Larry, good to see you are making it back to Namibia. Have a good hunt.

Karl Stumpfe
Ndumo Hunting Safaris www.huntingsafaris.net
karl@huntingsafaris.net
P.O. Box 1667, Katima Mulilo, Namibia
Cell: +264 81 1285 416
Fax: +264 61 254 328
Sat. phone: +88 163 166 9264

Posts: 1336 | Location: Namibia, Caprivi | Registered: 11 September 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
Another vote for the lenspen. I carry that plus a cleaning cloth and some pump cleaning fluid (not aerosol). Use the brush from the lenspen to brush the dust off the lenses before cleaning.

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Don't know if this is true, but have been told that the canned air can in fact freeze the coating, causing later difficulties

Posts: 10702 | Registered: 28 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dust is a particular African problem. I have found the following to be really a good way to beat dust:

1. Use those pop up lens covers made by several of the companies. They really work well, and reduce cleaning scopes to a every day or two chore rather than a couple of time a day.

2. For binoc and cameras, brush to lose stuff off with a lens pen. I try to keep my binocs under a layer of clothing on the truck to reduce exposure and keep the lens caps on my cameras.

3. For "deep" cleaning after brushing, I take the Zeiss lens cleaners you can get at Wal Mart optics and put a strip of three in my pocket ever day. I wear glasses, so I burn at least one a day on them (they will clean about three to four items, and can be folded and stowed back in the foil pouch if still wet.)

Kudude

Posts: 1473 | Location: Tallahassee, Florida | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Woodmnctry
posted Hide Post
I would go with the Lenspen -- of which there are several versions (cost) -- these also make a great little gift for PH's. Every time I take one seems they are continually getting borrowed. Also I have been told that any type of paper unless it is made specifically for cleaning glass has a bit too much grit in it for cleaning a good lens. I used to buy lense papers for my cameras but have since gone to a lensepen.

OMG!-- my bow is "pull-push feed" - how dreadfully embarrasing!!!!!

Posts: 932 | Location: 8K Ft in Colorado | Registered: 10 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes, you can take those items in your carry on.

I don't like the lense pen.

I brush carefully with a soft brush, then exhale on lense to fog it up and finally wipe lightly with a lense cloth...the "real" lense cloth that is found in a camera shop. It has the consistancy of a chamois cloath.

Posts: 6080 | Location: New York City "The Concrete Jungle" | Registered: 04 May 2003Reply With Quote