Find
Notify
Tools

Best Africa cruiser is found
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted
I am always day-dreaming about taking a couple of years to cruise around the African continent. I think I have now found the perfect vehicle. See link:

http://www.stumbleupon.com/su/...HDQ-MANTGA6x6-2.html

AR, where the hopeless, hysterical hypochondriacs of history become the nattering nabobs of negativisim.

Posts: 7046 | Location: Rambouillet, France | Registered: 25 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of steve_robinson
posted Hide Post
I like it! Cost? I know, if you have to ask, you can't afford it!

Steve(NOT Shakari)Robinson
NRA Life Member
SCI Life Member
DRSS

Posts: 226 | Location: Arlington, WA | Registered: 26 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nice bit of gear.

One problem. It would be a prime target for the desert bandits up in the North.

They generally take no prisoners and love "whiteys" toys.

Not to mention a carjacking in Jo'berg. Frowner

One of Us
Picture of only.375H&H
posted Hide Post
No dough. The best company to prepare this type of vehicles is Austrian based (cannot recall the name now but will came back to you).
They use MAN as the base truck from an size, but can do in any other chassis. I saw a project based on old military MAN 6x6 chassis and it was very nice indeed.

Roberto

Work to live...live to Hunt....

Posts: 91 | Location: Angola | Registered: 07 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Shukaree
posted Hide Post
A unimog wld make a nice platform for this kind of vehicle and......... be nimble to boot.

plus one on the bandit thingy

turret with .308 semi auto with thermal scope, perhaps.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unimog

To hunt, fish and tell only the truth.

Posts: 135 | Location: Brisbane Australia | Registered: 25 February 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by John Frederick:
Nice bit of gear.

One problem. It would be a prime target for the desert bandits up in the North.

They generally take no prisoners and love "whiteys" toys.

Not to mention a carjacking in Jo'berg. Frowner

I think I'd be willing to take those chances if someone offered me one a gift! Smiler

What a fantastic vehicle for wandering around Africa in! tu2

One of Us
Picture of tendrams
posted Hide Post
Nice for the "developed" world where you have access to parts, fuel and don't have to worry about it getting stolen. In any part of the developing world, give me a really shitty looking but stone cold reliable Toyota pickup truck, several jerry cans full of fuel, and a tent.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
But where is the hot tub? Cool

Good Hunting,

Posts: 3143 | Location: Duluth, GA | Registered: 30 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Scriptus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tendrams:
Nice for the "developed" world where you have access to parts, fuel and don't have to worry about it getting stolen. In any part of the developing world, give me a really shitty looking but stone cold reliable Toyota pickup truck, several jerry cans full of fuel, and a tent.

HAH HAH BLOODY FRIGGEN HAH!! My old 1990 2.4 diesel go any where, short wheel base, Toyota pick-up is still with me even though the affirmative shoppers have now tried six times to take over ownership. These fellas want them sssooo bad! Mad Cool

SUSTAINABLY HUNTING THE BLUE PLANET!
"Political language is designed to make lies sound truthful, murder respectable and to give an appearence of solidity to pure wind." Dr J A du Plessis

Posts: 3297 | Location: South of the Equator. | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of tendrams
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scriptus:
My old 1990 2.4 diesel go any where, short wheel base, Toyota pick-up is still with me....

DAMN STRAIGHT. Anything can be stolen for sure....but I imagine a lower profile vehicle is best for avoiding this problem. Maybe it needs more rust and more wear on the tires? Wink Glad you maintained possession!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Add sails and make it amphibious and it would be complete.

Posts: 2827 | Location: Seattle, in the other Washington | Registered: 26 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
The Unicats are nice, just real speedy. Even the Unimog-based expedition vehicles can be pretty pricey.

Expedition Portal is where some of the folks who do those trips hang out.

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
When I hunted with Tholo Safaris last year in Botswana I saw if not the exact same model one very similiar parked on Clive Eaton's property. It belonged to a well healed client that used it as his rolling safari camp with his own staff.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 13024 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've seen roads in Zim that would stop that baby cold.

Dave

Posts: 2086 | Location: Seattle Washington, USA | Registered: 19 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post

Posts: 475 | Location: Belgien | Registered: 01 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 505 gibbs
posted Hide Post
This would make a nice addition to some african generals "things I siezed at our border crossing" collection.

one of us
posted Hide Post

The vehicle I saw actually belonged to a general from a west African country.

BTW I love that avatar. It made me laugh as soon as I saw it.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 13024 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Chuck1911
posted Hide Post
I have an irrational desire for that type of vehicle. I missed this one at auction(no money....lol)

I REALLY wanted these

I think one would be ideal here in the southwest
CW

Chuck Warner
Pistolsmith
/

Posts: 332 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: 15 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of gbanger
posted Hide Post
Nice rig, but I wouldn't want to dismount the ATV and go through Lion Country Safari on it.

Gpopper

Posts: 296 | Location: Texas | Registered: 24 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
Wonder if they do a soft top and in cherry red?

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Email - kafueroyal@gmail.com
Tel/Whatsapp (00260) 975315144
Instagram - kafueroyal

Posts: 9983 | Location: Zambia | Registered: 10 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Scriptus
posted Hide Post
quote:

DAMN STRAIGHT. Anything can be stolen for sure....but I imagine a lower profile vehicle is best for avoiding this problem. Maybe it needs more rust and more wear on the tires? Wink Glad you maintained possession!

It has a bit of rust here and there, also some dings and bashes. Unfortunately the tyres have to be good otherwise it does not do so well off road. The door locks no longer exist, which is a laugh as I had central locking put in awhile back, so the key locking mechanism was disconnected. You can imagine the bastards with their levers forced in next to the window trying to hook the connecting rod, or with their sharpened Allen-key in the key hole, rattling it round and round to no avail. One really bright bugger broke the little side window, which set the alarm off. I suppose in his panic to shut the thing up, he opened the bonnet and ripped the wiring off the live terminal on the battery. Well he was going nowhere after that. Just one day,I would like to catch one in the act. I have a length of cured and polished wild olive that I know is dying to meet a couple of these beggers. Big Grin Cool

"Political language is designed to make lies sound truthful, murder respectable and to give an appearence of solidity to pure wind." Dr J A du Plessis

Posts: 3297 | Location: South of the Equator. | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Here in the states, we prefer aluminum baseball bats, but I get the picture... Big Grin

Posts: 11729 | Location: Florida | Registered: 25 October 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Muletrain
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jetdrvr:
Here in the states, we prefer aluminum baseball bats, but I get the picture... Big Grin

Citizens of Texas see things a little different.

Elephant Hunter,
Double Rifle Shooter Society,
NRA Lifetime Member,
Ten Safaris, in RSA, Namibia, Zimbabwe

Posts: 955 | Location: Houston, Texas, USA | Registered: 13 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 505 gibbs
posted Hide Post
quote:

The vehicle I saw actually belonged to a general from a west African country.

BTW I love that avatar. It made me laugh as soon as I saw it.

Mark

Better than the guy kicking the old lady over?

One of Us
Picture of NitroX
posted Hide Post
I travelled half way across Africa in an old Man truck, and it was nowhere near like the one in the link. Felt every bump and pothole. The Landrovers and Landcruisers used to fly past us and do in a day, what took us four days.

John H.

NitroExpress.com - the net's double rifle forum

Posts: 10138 | Location: Wine Country, Barossa Valley, Australia | Registered: 06 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Steve Malinverni
posted Hide Post
Also one of these could be interesting
Iveco 330.30 ANW
Wink But everyone shown here is fantastic

bye
Stefano
Waidmannsheil

Posts: 1653 | Location: Milano Italy | Registered: 04 July 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BwanaCole
posted Hide Post
Here is my africa cruiser...
Aretha! She's big, she's black and she demands R-E-S-P-E-C-T! Big Grin

Aretha flat out!

[IMG:left] [/IMG]

(Still working on figgerin out how to post the dang things IN the post Mad If anybody can help me here, I would really appreciate it!)

sfhr is Scary Fast Hummer Racing. The two blokes in the back are my teenage sons. We were competing in the Tuareg Rally in Morocco. Next race is March of '11. Catch us if you can!!!

H. Cole Stage III, FRGS
ISC(PJ), USN (Ret)

"You do not have a right to an opinion. An opinion should be the result of careful thought, not an excuse for it."

Harlan Ellison

" War is God's way to teach Americans geography." Ambrose Bierce

Posts: 378 | Registered: 28 September 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You forgot to show us the picture of the fuel tanker following it or the fuel trailer towed behind it.

Rich

old old

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NitroX:
I travelled half way across Africa in an old Man truck, and it was nowhere near like the one in the link. Felt every bump and pothole. The Landrovers and Landcruisers used to fly past us and do in a day, what took us four days.

And at that speed you probably would not have noticed the Land Cruiser towing the Landrover.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Email - kafueroyal@gmail.com
Tel/Whatsapp (00260) 975315144
Instagram - kafueroyal

Posts: 9983 | Location: Zambia | Registered: 10 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Scriptus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fairgame:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by NitroX:
OTE]

And at that speed you probably would not have noticed the Land Cruiser towing the Landrover.

dancing jumping jumping animal yuck

Now you have gone and done it. There will be some of the Landrover mob with gall and sour crop attacks. Cool

One of Us
Picture of BwanaCole
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Idaho Sharpshooter:
You forgot to show us the picture of the fuel tanker following it or the fuel trailer towed behind it.

Rich

old old

Actually, for what it is; full blown supercharged V8 diesel desert racer, it does pretty good. I get 10mpg in racing conditions. And trust me, the adrenalin rush from blasting across the open african desert and sailing off huge ergs in a 3 tonne free fall, is well worth the fuel milage. dancing

Might just have licked the pic posting bug...

H. Cole Stage III, FRGS
ISC(PJ), USN (Ret)

"You do not have a right to an opinion. An opinion should be the result of careful thought, not an excuse for it."

Harlan Ellison

One of Us
Picture of BwanaCole
posted Hide Post
This one though is probably the best value for money. Old Series 3 LR, ex Bahrain Defense Force in front of The Tree of Life. Probably one of the most spiritual places on the planet.

Started out as an ex-defense force truck, sprayed white, a liter of flat black paint and a two inch brush later...

The local kids in Bahrain LOVED it Big Grin

H. Cole Stage III, FRGS
ISC(PJ), USN (Ret)

Harlan Ellison