New
Find
Notify
Tools

416 Rem "practice loads"
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Can anyone advise me on a reduced recoil 416 Remington load for practice?

Any bullets out there less-expensive than the 350gr Speer? I handload but I don't cast my own so unless lead bullets are commerically available they're out.

Thanks

Posts: 989 | Location: AL | Registered: 13 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I use a 22 L.R. and a 30-06 a lot...Loading down a big bore is no way to learn how to handle recoil and you can get all the practice you need with a lesser caliber..

The best way to learn to handle recoil is to shoot a 458 Lott or 500 Jefferys, then when you shoot a 416 Rem the recoil is reminesent of a maidens caress! patriot

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42152 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well stated, Atkinson. I shot a friend's .458 Lott. I was careful not to get too close to the scope and it still tagged me in the middle if the forehead each time. I guess the torque made it roll a little to the right (I'm correct-handed), so it didn't come straight back.
The amazing thing was that I put 2 rounds next to each other off-hand at 50 yards. I can't do that with my .30/06. I'm thinking I should buy that rifle from him.

Posts: 207 | Location: Florida | Registered: 28 August 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ray- I hear you but am also interested in practice loads that will save money, not merely "low" recoil loads. I don't think that I gain anything by send $1 A-Frames into the berm with every shot.

I fire and hunt with plenty of smaller caliber rifles for practice, I'm looking for a practice load for this rifle that a) won't prevent extended range sessions due to excessive recoil, and b) won't require me to refinance my home to shoot.

One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
I guess I 2nd Ray. I don't reload so pay a bit for ammo (Superior) but if I ain;t willing to ante up, I shouldn't be in the game. Also, like cars and houses, I never buy them when I need to, I always have a good supply on hand. Every trip to a gun store I buy at least 2 boxes of shotgun and pistol ammo and for my rifles, I keep a few hundred rounds in rotation all the time.

One of Us
Picture of Bwana Nderobo
posted Hide Post
I shoot the Hornady 400 RN Interlocks at paper. In my Win Model 70 they are as accurate as the Swift A-frames, but a fraction of the cost (I also think they would kill things, but I'm an A-Frame freak...). At 2400 fps the recoil in a 12 lb. rifle doesnt really bother me that bad, and the rifle was accurate enough to dump a Lich. Hartebeest @ 300 meters. I use the same powder charge that I use for the A-Frames (78.0 gr. of IMR 4064, but make sure you heed all safety warnings about building up to that load, blah, blah). Best of luck- you'll love that 416!!!

Phil Massaro
President, Massaro Ballistic Laboratories, LLC
NRA Life Member
B&C Member
www.mblammo.com

Hunt Reports- Zambia 2011
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/1481089261

"Two kinds of people in this world, those of us with loaded guns, and those of us who dig. You dig."

Posts: 441 | Location: New Baltimore, NY | Registered: 14 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JC375
posted Hide Post
Woodhits, I have been using 58 and 60 grains of H4895 with the Hornady 400g round nose. I spoke with Hodgdon about this and they say there is no problem. Sorry I have not chronograph these loads yet but a noticible difference in recoil from the factory loads. I have also spoke with Accurate Arms about use AA5744 and the 350 mag tips. They recommend starting at about 35g up to about 55g of AA5744. I have not tried these yet. This may also help. Mt. Baldy Bullets 307-754-5255 makes a 350g .416 lead bullet with gas checks. I hope to try these with IMR Trail Boss. Good luck and start low and work up.JC

Posts: 102 | Location: Florida | Registered: 04 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I used the 350 speer hot cores with reloader 15. They were good to practice with but used A-frames and banded solids for the real thing.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Reducing load is not the magical solution: when hunting, the load is not reduced.
My advice is to use a muzzle-brake.
My son (15 old, 70 Kg) has no problem of recoil when shooting 416 RM ( norma 400grs), with a Blaser R93 ( 4.4 Kg with optics)+ muzzle brake.

One of Us
Picture of ghundwan
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gunny:
I used the 350 speer hot cores with reloader 15. They were good to practice with but used A-frames and banded solids for the real thing.

The Speer 350gr have proved to be both accurate and deadly on game. I have hunted a lot of game with it and never had a problem (all plains game)

Posts: 277 | Location: South Africa | Registered: 25 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
JC375- Thanks, that's exactly what I was looking for, I can buy 100 Mt. Baldy bullets shipped for less than the cost of 50 premiums.

I'm a true believer of premium bullets on game but it's a waste of money to use them on practice.

One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
Downloading a DG rifle is not the way to go.. If you are looking for an inexpensive bullet that is the way to go, in my opinion...
If recoil is to much go to a 375...
But shooting a DG rifle and building up the muscles to control the gun and technique to slow down the recoil will build confidence and you will not get beat and banged up when practicing...

Mike

Michael Podwika... DRSS bigbores and hunting www.pvt.co.za " MAKE THE SHOT " 450#2 Famars

Posts: 6768 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys, let me make clear for the record that this is not an issue of being recoil-shy. I'm 215 pounds and lift weights and practice Mixed Martial Arts several days a week; I've also shot heavy caliber rifles and handguns most of my life, I'm just looking for a reasonable practice load.

one of us
posted Hide Post
IN which case Woodhits you need to get into casting lead bullets or you can buy them and shoot reduced loads, its the cheapest way out..BTW a good cast bullet in a .416 is death and destruction on a deer...Anyway for what its worth..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42152 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Howdy,

I use the starting load with RL15 and the 350 gr Speer. Recoil is very reasonable.

For hunting - 400 gr TSX and RL15.

Adios

Sport

Posts: 103 | Location: Central PA | Registered: 16 July 2007Reply With Quote