Find
Notify
Tools

NECG Sights - Questions
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of DC Roxby
posted
I am talking to Mike McCabe right now about building an open sighted rifle in 9.3x62 for buffalo hunting. Mike recommended the NECG sights and I think I have settled on the masterpiece hooded front sight and the Express single leaf sight for the rear.

I am trying to decide on the Silver Bead or the Sourdough for the front sight. Anyone have any experience with these under hunting conditions?

I have done very little hunting with open sights and would appreciate any input or experiences.

I don't shoot elk at 600 yards for the same reasons I don't shoot ducks on the water, or turkeys from their roosts. If this confuses you then you're not welcome in my hunting camp.

Posts: 566 | Location: Ouray, CO | Registered: 17 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I like the Sourdough for use with a peep and with express sights that have been filed to look like pistol sights; for "V" type express sights I like a round bead as I've found it harder to hold consistent elevation with express sights and blades.

The NECG banded front sight takes interchangeable blades so I would suggest buying both a sourdough and a bead sight and test them both to see what your eyes like.

Posts: 709 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 16 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
I have used both on a 470NE ( started with the post type and changes to a 2.5mm bead) but you can get the 2.5mm bead with an additional pop up Ivory moon sight which is a great option.

Posts: 5886 | Location: Sydney,Australia  | Registered: 03 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
By defintion you can use almost anything for a front sight when using a peep, assuming you can see it.

With a shallow V rear sight it is pretty much a bead due to the necessity of a reference to keep the sights lined up; the bead sitting in the V.

As far as I know the "large" front beads are only available for the universal front ramp, though you can get the flip-up moon sight, which is big, for the banded model.

-------------------------------
Will Stewart / Once you've been amongst them, there is no such thing as too much gun.
---------------------------------------
and, God Bless John Wayne.

NRA Benefactor Member, GOA, N.A.G.R.

"Elephant and Elephant Guns" $99 shipped
“Hunting Africa's Dangerous Game" $20 shipped.

red.dirt.elephant@gmail.com

Hoping to wind up where elephant hunters go.

Posts: 19369 | Location: Ocala Flats | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JohnHunt
posted Hide Post
I have the flip up moon. It is always good for an additional ooh and ahh from my fellow gun dork friends Smiler

Make sure they mechanically attach that front sight as well as what they normally do (glue or solder). Mine popped off and had to be redone.

Posts: 1678 | Registered: 16 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Buy both inserts and let your eyes tell you which one to use.

The only easy day is yesterday!

Posts: 2758 | Location: Northern Minnesota | Registered: 22 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ptaylor
posted Hide Post
I had the fiber obtic NECG front sight insert on my 458 and it got smashed, they are pretty delicate. I switched to the sourdough. Not only is it much stronger my eyes are capable of a much finer hold in conjuction with the rear. I would go sourdough. They are too expensive to buy several and somthing about the round rear and square front makes it much easier for me to pick out vs. the round rear, round front.

Posts: 328 | Location: central TX | Registered: 06 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DC Roxby
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the replies guys. I don't see the flip sight you guys are referring to. Is this it?

I don't shoot elk at 600 yards for the same reasons I don't shoot ducks on the water, or turkeys from their roosts. If this confuses you then you're not welcome in my hunting camp.

Posts: 566 | Location: Ouray, CO | Registered: 17 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JohnHunt
posted Hide Post
That is it. It looks like that top pic when the big moon site is flipped down.

one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DC Roxby:
Thanks for the replies guys. I don't see the flip sight you guys are referring to. Is this it?

Yes that's it, and is my pick with a wide "V"!However, this sight requires a little more machining to install, makeing a recess for the moon sight!

This one works well with the wide "V" as well!

This one can be reshaped to work with the wide "V" as well, but it takes a little careful work with small files.

As someone above said, make sure the sight is physically held to the ramp, so it doesn't pull out of the slot when pulling the rifle out of the soft case! thumb

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JohnHunt
posted Hide Post
no, I the sight itself is well attached to the ramp(and has a rather nifty quick change feature), rather the ramp must be well attached to the barrel.

One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
quote:

Yup. thumb

Posts: 5886 | Location: Sydney,Australia  | Registered: 03 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
quote:

The flip up moon will change the "sighting" of the rifle. I have always just left them up (and jammed a toothpick in there so they wouldn't flip down by accident) because I can't see those little metal beads. Something to consider, if so inclined.

-------------------------------
Will Stewart / Once you've been amongst them, there is no such thing as too much gun.
---------------------------------------
and, God Bless John Wayne.

NRA Benefactor Member, GOA, N.A.G.R.

"Elephant and Elephant Guns" $99 shipped
“Hunting Africa's Dangerous Game" $20 shipped.

red.dirt.elephant@gmail.com

Hoping to wind up where elephant hunters go.

Posts: 19369 | Location: Ocala Flats | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote