Notify
Tools

Kwai Ewe Denker?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of D99
posted
What do we know about this Namibian PH?

I have heard some amazing tales, but not quite sure as to what is reality and what is not?

And what the hell kind of name is that anyway?

Posts: 4729 | Location: Australia | Registered: 06 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Seth, I think the name is "Kai-Uwe Denker". He is highly thought of in German hunting circles.

If I'm not mistaken, he is involved with the Erongo Mountains Conservancy. He is also (I believe) involved with NAPHA, the Nambian Professional Hunters Association.

- mike

The rifle is a noble weapon... It entices its bearer into primeval forests, into mountains and deserts untenanted by man. - Horace Kephart

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
He wrote one heck of a good book, "Along the Hunter's Path".

He is "old school" - walking/running when tracking rather than using a vehicle. Better be in shape to hunt with him!

SCI Life Member
DSC Life Member

Posts: 2018 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 20 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
"Along the Hunter's Path".

This book is a must read for any passionate hunter.

Nec Timor Nec Temeritas

one of us
posted Hide Post
No one, in recent years, has averaged the ivory he has produced for his clients. Quite an eccenbtric fellow I understand and yes you better be in shape and prepared to rough it when hunting ele with him.

"...Them, they were Giants!"
J.A. Hunter describing the early explorers and settlers of East Africa

hunting is not about the killing but about the chase of the hunt.... Ortega Y Gasset

Posts: 3035 | Location: Tanzania - The Land of Plenty | Registered: 19 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
Several months ago Denker wrote an article in Magnum magazine, which in part stated that only elephant bulls carrying over 100 pound tusks should be shot by the hunter.

In a letter to the Editor of Magnum, which I do not know whether it will be published, I stated,

"....I have to wonder where these elephant giants would exist.

It seems that even in national parks the elephants are subject to widespread poaching and surely outside of any parks the elephants are highly unlikely to die of old age. Where it was once rare to see damage on an elephant from snares in Zimbabwe, it it now a common occurrence.

Out of a hundred elephant bull calves born throughout southern Africa surely only a small percentage have the genes to ever grow tusks over a hundred pounds per side. But to be optimistic say there are fifty calves that if allowed to grow to old age would have large tusks. Between natural causes, poaching, and sport hunting it could reasonably be expected that there might be only three or four still living after the fifty or sixty years needed to grow outsized tusks. And where are these few elephant going to "hide" all these years to avoid human contact?

And who are the fortunate one or two multi-millionaires that will be able to afford to hunt these bulls? And who is the PH that will be fortunate to capitalize off of the million dollar plus trophy fees?

Elephants will pass along there genes whether twenty-five years old or fifty. Only with strict controls and unlimited funds could anyone expect to have bulls wandering around outside of parks until they are "shootable." And what about "culls", where the population of elephants need to be reduced to protect their habitat? How is it to be determined which young bulls carry the desired gene and which ones do not?

Under the current population growth rate and degenerating infrastructure in southern and eastern Africa, it is difficult to fathom how many bulls could survive to a ripe old age. And stating that a 90-pound bull is not mature and should be "saved" is simplistic and unrealistic. An saved for whom?"

I did not find Denker's theme in that article, "Footprints of Giants," much different than all the other such articles that claim that they are the "chosen people," such as the Sierra Club types with the attitude that they are the only ones that are pure enough to hike through Yellowstone. The rest of us slugs do not qualify to even pass through on a tour bus!

It appears to me that Mr. Denker sees himself as the "chosen one" to lead the rich hunter to the 100 pound tuskers. I wish him well.

-------------------------------
Will Stewart / Once you've been amongst them, there is no such thing as too much gun.
---------------------------------------
and, God Bless John Wayne.

NRA Benefactor Member, GOA, N.A.G.R.

"Elephant and Elephant Guns" $99 shipped
“Hunting Africa's Dangerous Game" $20 shipped.

red.dirt.elephant@gmail.com

Hoping to wind up where elephant hunters go.

Posts: 19362 | Location: Ocala Flats | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Bill,
The master of the one liner Big Grin

A whole "chapter' dedicated to let us know how you feel about Denker. Smiler Are you perhaps jealous you are not the "chosen one" dancing

"...Them, they were Giants!"
J.A. Hunter describing the early explorers and settlers of East Africa

hunting is not about the killing but about the chase of the hunt.... Ortega Y Gasset

Posts: 3035 | Location: Tanzania - The Land of Plenty | Registered: 19 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bwanamich:
Bill,
The master of the one liner Big Grin

A whole "chapter' dedicated to let us know how you feel about Denker. Smiler Are you perhaps jealous you are not the "chosen one" dancing

Who wouldn't want to be the dictator of elephant hunting? Wink

-------------------------------
Will Stewart / Once you've been amongst them, there is no such thing as too much gun.
---------------------------------------
and, God Bless John Wayne.

NRA Benefactor Member, GOA, N.A.G.R.

"Elephant and Elephant Guns" $99 shipped
“Hunting Africa's Dangerous Game" $20 shipped.

red.dirt.elephant@gmail.com

Hoping to wind up where elephant hunters go.

Posts: 19362 | Location: Ocala Flats | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Kai-Uwe currently holds the Nyae-Nyae conservancy. He has a farm in the Erongo mountains and came up with a idea of fencing the whole area (app. 350000ha) to be able to "re-introduce" the black-faced Impala and the black rhino. A few of the farmers within the Erongo area are in favour of this idea, some are strictly against it due to the fact that they would be restricted as to how they would be able to utilize their land. Part of Kai-Uwes idea is to take down all the cattle fences within that area and to purely concentrate on tourism. Kai-Uwe is fighting for his ideas and is from my point of view is a bit too idealistic. But that is what makes him unique.
As to his hunting abilities, I think that there is currently no other PH in Africa who can meet up with him with regards to trophy elephant bulls. (Correct me if I am wrong.)
He is limited to currently 5 bulls p.a. and the quality he produces is absolutely amazing. For him it is rather quality than quantity.

Taken from Huntinnamibia: ( http://www.huntnamibia.com.na/index.php?fArticleId=61 )
It is with immense satisfaction that we here announce the ivory weights of our 2004 elephant hunting season, as officially weighed:
115/17 lbs, 82/78 lbs, 76/72 lbs, 76/72 lbs, 72/70 lbs

Not too bad, is it?
He is fully booked for years in advance and charges rates that are beyond me. But, the clients are happy, dehydrated, foot-sore and fat-free when they finish a hunt. Some say "never-again", others are hooked.

Att. Will:
Could you please provide me with the article where K.-U. D. stated that only 100+ bulls should be shot. I know him fairly well and I don't think that he would make a statement like that.

Posts: 194 | Location: Namibia | Registered: 04 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ivory from an elephant hunt guided by Denker:

http://www.huntingreport.com/trophy_gallery.cfm?id=184

- mike

The rifle is a noble weapon... It entices its bearer into primeval forests, into mountains and deserts untenanted by man. - Horace Kephart

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote