THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    Which is heavier.....white rhino or hippo?

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Which is heavier.....white rhino or hippo?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have searched around but keep getting conflicting results.

The one definite seems the white rhino is taller or higher.

Posts: 7046 | Location: Sydney Australia | Registered: 14 September 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
From my experience, the rhino, but of course, there can be exceptions.

Rhino was bigger than the hippo I have shot, and while the hippo had more fat, the rhino had a fair amount more bulk and muscle.

Posts: 10964 | Location: Minnesota USA | Registered: 15 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
That is a good question that I have often wondered about myself.

I have seen one black rhino in the wild and many black and white rhinos in zoos. I have seen hundreds of hippos up close and personal, both in the wild and in zoos.

I would have to say that a big male hippo outweighs a big male black rhino, but it would be a toss up for a hippo and a white rhino.

I would bet that the zoos across the world would have the cumulative data to answer the question.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13613 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Open Carry
posted Hide Post
I have both heard and read that rhino is the second heaviest land animal after elephant. However, that may include the Indian one-horn rhino which is probably larger than a white rhino.

Posts: 55 | Location: Easton, Pennsylvania USA | Registered: 28 November 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
With the African Big 5 that was for the black rhino?

Posts: 7046 | Location: Sydney Australia | Registered: 14 September 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Physically, the white rhino is a lot bigger than the black- maybe 1/3-1/2 bigger.

My limited experience is that white rhino are not as dangerous as black. Of course, part of this is due to where they live.

I was "chased" once by a black rhino (actually we heard it chuff and some thrashing in the bush and we got out of there while hunting buffalo, but didn't see him), but you know where the white are. The black rhino tend to live in some of the thickest stuff and were often walked into when you were doing something else, and charged from short distance. The white tend to live in the open plains, and you tend to see them before you get into critical distance. Both tend to have rather nasty dispositions in the wild, and both are territorial.

I would still call a white rhino a dangerous game animal if you hunt it right, in that if you screw up, it will try and get you if it can and if you are close enough, from what I heard; but it isn't the man-killer the black was in the days of old.

But, yes, the black was the classic big five rhino- then again, Teddy Roosevelt shot (northern) white rhino, and I think people felt he shot the big 5.

Posts: 10964 | Location: Minnesota USA | Registered: 15 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A video worth getting is the one with Roy Weatherby on his 1953? safari. It also had his segment on the old TV show You Asked for It.

Years ago it was available in Australia from the Wby importers and imagine Weatherby would have it on DVDs.

It is worth seeing just to see how many animals were shot in those days and black rhinos. Also, all the trucks and number of people. I am not sure but I think it was 3 months long, probably paid for by Herb Klein, Roy's big backer.

One of Us
Picture of ManuelM
posted Hide Post
I would say that white rhinos are on average bigger than most hippo, but that said i have seen a BIG difference in size between hippo bulls as compared to rhinos, I would say that the biggest hippos are around the size of the biggest white rhinos, maybe bigger.

Manuel Maldonado
MM Sonoran Desert Hunters
https://www.facebook.com/huntingMM

Posts: 530 | Location: Hermosillo, Sonora | Registered: 06 May 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
White rhino are a lot bigger than hippo. I have a photo of myself pushing a huge white rhino bull which we had just darted. He got the maximum dose of etorphine but would not go down. In his drunken state we pushed him into some shade before giving him a bit more. I stand 1.9 m tall (six foot three inches) and the top of the rhino's hump is higher than my head in the picture! I'm not sure how to post the picture on this forum but will gladly share it with someone who can if they will e-mail me at doctari505@gmail.com It was our suspicion that the bull was about 500 kg heavier that usual and this was why the dose he was given was not enough to make him go down. This took place in the Kruger National Park so the bull was a free-ranging one and not in captivity.

Posts: 151 | Location: Southern Africa | Registered: 30 June 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
I'm no expert on this subject but I can assure you a very large hippo bull is huge, and it would surprise me if they were not about equal in size to a bull W. rhino and larger by far than a black rhino.

................................................................... old

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bwana338
posted Hide Post
Male White Rhino - 5,100 Pounds

Female White rhino - 3,700 Pounds

Male Black Rhino - 3,700 Pounds

Male Hippo - 3,300 to 4,000 pounds

Female Hippo - 2,900 to 3,300 pounds

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

"You've got the strongest hand in the world. That's right. Your hand. The hand that marks the ballot. The hand that pulls the voting lever. Use it, will you" John Wayne

Posts: 1626 | Location: West River at Heart | Registered: 08 April 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well I got my answer and especially given doctari505 is a vet in Africa.

He emailed me the picture of the white rhino he referred to in his post and it is something else. However, like doctari505 I am not in to the "how to" of picture posting.

Thanks to all.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hi Mike - I e-mailed the photo to Brendon this morning - he says he will post it here.

Posts: 151 | Location: Southern Africa | Registered: 30 June 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by doctari505:
Hi Mike - I e-mailed the photo to Brendon this morning - he says he will post it here.

And here it is:

Posts: 1447 | Location: New England | Registered: 22 February 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If that is the Doctari that Ive met at SCI and signed my book he wrote, he is a vet, and should know which one is bigger, Personally I would have guessed the Hippo, but apparently not.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42136 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yip that's me Ray - photo was taken in 2015. I now head up the Sustainable Use dept. at the Southern African Wildlife College. We are located within the greater Kruger National park.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I unknowingly picked out your wifes buffalo to use on my Pickup truck for Atkinson Hunting if you recall!!! Got it out of a magazine and gave it to the decal boys, Sure was a dandy bull, still on the trucks..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42136 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Brandon , doing a Texas heart shot with a dart ??? 2020 cuckoo