Find
Notify
Tools

domestic "shipping" of trophies
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Bwanahile
posted
I just bought a second home in Nashville and am going to ship most of my mounts to the new place. The moving company wants to build individual crates for each mount and the estimated costs is $3,250 (almost what I paid for the taxidermy AND shipping from Africa!!). I am not sure who they sub out the crate building to but wanted to see if you guys had any ideas. Perhaps I could go directly to some of the taxidermist here (Houston) and see if they could build one or two large crates? Thanks.

Posts: 757 | Location: Nashville/West Palm Beach | Registered: 29 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grafton
posted Hide Post
quote:
Perhaps I could go directly to some of the taxidermist here (Houston) and see if they could build one or two large crates?

This is a good idea.

There is no reason to have a crate for each animal. You can build them using a pallet as a base and you can put several mounts in each crate. screw them in to secure.

Another option is to move them yourself. Have the moving company move all your other (less important) stuff. Rent a truck and screw your mounts onto sections of plywood. Then secure the plywood into the wood floor of the truck with screws. They will not go anywhere. You can put plastic over them if you want.

For smaller mounts, a Uhaul wardrobe box works well. Buy the box and build a frame inside it with 2"x2"s

Good luck.

SAFARI ARTS TAXIDERMY
http://www.safariarts.net/

Posts: 1378 | Location: Virginia, USA | Registered: 05 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
3,250 for crates? How many animals?

Yes, I would check around.

I would have someone build the crate and have a trucking co. pick up and deliver.

Try this link they might have a few answers for you.
http://www.taxidermyfreight.com/

Safari Taxidermy by:John Baker
www.safaritaxidermy.com

Posts: 278 | Location: Corpus Christi, Texas , USA | Registered: 30 November 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Bwannhile
I just went through the same thing. Moved from Georgia to Pennsyvannia. I rented a 26' truck, this is how I set up the inside. Placed the biggest mount (Leopard) in to the back of truck, used padded 2/4's to secure mount, like a open crate, 4 upright, 4 across, 4 under/around the mount. Then put together a metal shelf unit and took all small horned animals and bolted them on shelves and sides.Placed Sail Fish mount across the top. Secured unit with 2/4's same way as big mount. Large mounts, Cape Buff, Kudu(took horns off and wrapped them seperatly) bolted to plywood, placed on floor and truck walls. Full mount Bear, got a refrigerator box from Sears, put Bear in and used pillows to pad it. 1000 mile trip, no problems or damage. Used shrink wrap on every mount. Took about 5 hours to put together. Cost of rental truck was $600, 2/4's $40. Total cost with gas $760. Rental truck should be less for you. bobga, now guess I will be bobpa

Posts: 201 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 21 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bwanahile
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the comments guys. The price quoted was crates for 17 crates (everthing from a duiker up to a kudu and a few whitetail and a bobcat). Definitely going to look at the alternatives suggested!

Posts: 757 | Location: Nashville/West Palm Beach | Registered: 29 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you decide to move them yourself, you can buy speedpacks from the moving company. It is a thick walled open top carton aprox. 2'x4'. Several smaller mounts should fit in each. Just use peanuts or something similar.

Did the company tell you the total cubic ft. of the crates?

The way crates tend to get beat up & banged around by forklifts, I would be a litte leary of sending them by a freight forwarder.

Posts: 77 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 02 October 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ROSCOE
posted Hide Post
I have moved several times with my work and the moving company always contracts out to have the trophies crated. I was amazed at the cost the third party companies charge. The get paid by the size of the crate....bigger the crate the more money they get paid. I had one crate that held an elk shoulder mount that cost $400. My company covers these costs but I still think it is a rip off. You can build your own crates for no more than $20 each. Just buy the low cost pine and get an air nail gun. Build a shell and then shrink wrap with plastic. The only purpose of the crate is to protect the mount from damage...they don't have to be built to handle internation shipping.

R. Lee Ermey: "The deadliest weapon in the world is a Marine and his rifle."
We're going to be "gifted" with a health care plan we are forced to purchase and fined if we don't, Which purportedly covers at least ten million more people, without adding a single new doctor, but provides for 16,000 new IRS agents, written by a committee whose chairman says he doesn't understand it, passed by a Congress that didn't read it but exempted themselves from it, and signed by a President, with funding administered by a treasury chief who didn't pay his taxes, for which we'll be taxed for four years before any benefits take effect, by a government which has already bankrupted Social Security and Medicare, all to be overseen by a surgeon general who is obese, and financed by a country that's broke!!!!! 'What the hell could possibly go wrong?'

Posts: 2122 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote