THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    Cape Buff in the American Southwest.............

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Cape Buff in the American Southwest.............
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Along the lines of what Dogcat posted, is there a reason why cape buff could not be introduced in the southwest ?

I would think any health concerns could be handled by vets on importation.

Do any AR members who own cattle care to comment on the possible hazards ?

I would think a buff hunt in TX or AZ would be a hoot ............................JJ

" venator ferae bestiae et aquae vitae "

Posts: 593 | Location: Southern WV, USA | Registered: 03 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sdeshazo
posted Hide Post
I thought I remeber hearing of two ranches in Florida that you can hunt Cape Buffalo or maybe it was Water Buffalo. Let me do some searching & see what I can find.

http://www.buffalohuntingguides.com/index.html

I've yet to hunt Cape Buffalo, but I don't have any desire to do it in the states.

Posts: 224 | Location: St Augustine, Florida | Registered: 07 April 2006Reply With Quote
One Of Us
Picture of new_guy
posted Hide Post
I believe those are Asiatic Water Buff in Fla. I'm certain they are not Cape Buff. Outside of a zoo, I don't believe there are any Cape Buff in the US.

www.heymusa.com

HSC Booth # 306
SCI Booth # 3947

one of us
posted Hide Post
There used to be a "herd" of Cape Buffalo right next to US Interstate 20 between Dallas and Canton, Texas.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
There were a few in the Kerrville, TX area but were too tough to handle and the tore up every fence except 4" pipe fences.

I have seen about every other African animal in Texas along with kangaroos and wallabees (sp?). Several do quite well, but the I think the predators and buff are another story all together.

Posts: 10199 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
Dogcat,

Don't let all this talk about importing get you thinking about importing baboons.

Mike

Mike

Posts: 21240 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Don In Colorado
posted Hide Post
quote:
I would think a buff hunt in TX or AZ would be a hoot ............................

I recall in a thread from a couple of years ago that noted hunting of Cape Buffalo in Texas was specifically prohibited. This prohibition also included predators (lions, leopards, etc.) as I recall.

Best of all he loved the Fall....

E. Hemingway

Posts: 198 | Location: Brighton, Michigan | Registered: 22 November 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
I looked this up recently when I saw a post offering water buffalo hunts in Texas on another board. The Texas Parks and Wildlife prohibition on hunting dangerous wild animals in an enclosure lists animals covered and buffalo are not on the list. Does that mean it is okay? I would say you better check with Texas Parks and Wildlife, and not rely on the internet.

This is the exact language from TPWD:

"CANNED HUNTS" (DANGEROUS WILD ANIMALS)
No person may kill or attempt to injure a dangerous wild animal (African or Asiatic lion, tiger, leopard, cheetah, hyena, bear, elephant, wolf, or rhinoceros, or any subspecies or hybrid of these animals) that is held in captivity in this state or that is released from captivity in this state for the purpose of being killed, nor may any person conduct, promote, advertise, or assist in the hunting of a dangerous wild animal.

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of RAC
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by N E 450 No2:
There used to be a "herd" of Cape Buffalo right next to US Interstate 20 between Dallas and Canton, Texas.

I did not know that. That would be "Toon Town" wouldn't it? I drove by there today coming home from work. They have huge longhorns, camels and zebra. I have always though about bringing my rifle with me when I pass by. Big Grin

I hunt, not to kill, but in order not to have played golf....

DRSS

Posts: 839 | Location: LA | Registered: 28 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted Hide Post
There are some folks offering hunts for water buffalo, mostly the Phillipine sub-species I believe.

I think that there are some capes here and they do take one every now and then.

Yes the prohibition on the canned hunts does not include any of the bovidae hoof stock. I mean there are several ranches down here offering Bongo, Addax, and other such critters.

Uhtil Lora and I did a doe axis hunt on a 2500 acre ranch on our way home from this years Javelina hunts, I had no desire to hunt anything under a high fence situation. My eyes were opened, and yes, it isn't the same as what Africa would be, but, I gets tha horns and tha MEAT. That has been Lora's main objection for me to go Kudu hunting in Namibia, I couldn't bring back the meat.

I just like shooting representative animals of a species, so I am thinking about a water/cape Buffalo hunt if I can put one together.

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MJines:
Dogcat,

Don't let all this talk about importing get you thinking about importing baboons.

Mike

Mike,
You read my mind. I was in Florida awhile ago and saw a bunch of Reese's (sp?) monkeys that had gone wild. It got my trigger finger itchy.

I think baboons in the US would be awesome, however, I think a few PETA would get shot being mistaken for the real baboon.

Do baboons make good pets? Maybe I could train one to call in other baboons on my next trip to Africa...........

Posts: 10199 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JJ_Miller:

Three words for you,

Hoof & mouth disease.

The end.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Texas Parks and Wildlife has a list of dangerous animals that can not be imported or turned loose. I dont have the list handy but I believe Capes are on it. I remember that it does include Rhino's, hyenas, tigers etc. I'll have to dig up the whole list.

The Hunt goes on forever, the season never ends.

I didn't learn this by reading about it or seeing it on TV. I learned it by doing it.

Posts: 729 | Location: Central TX | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ryan Campbell:
Texas Parks and Wildlife has a list of dangerous animals that can not be imported or turned loose. I dont have the list handy but I believe Capes are on it. I remember that it does include Rhino's, hyenas, tigers etc. I'll have to dig up the whole list.

I posted the list from their website and the link just above. I would probably still want to hear them say it is okay.

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
<Hunter Formerly Known As Texas Hunter>
posted
A few years back (probably 8 or 10) I was researching available hunts for corporate clients and came across a ranch in Missouri that offered a number of exotic species including Cape Buffalo. I talked to the ranch manager. He said they brought them in on a cattle trailer in early sumer and then loaded them back up to return them to wherever they came from in early fall. The Missouri winters are too harsh. As to temperment, the ranch manager said they were not particularly agressive - just acted like any other head of cattle. BTW - I did not book any hunts with them.

One of Us
Picture of ACRecurve
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by surestrike:
quote:
Originally posted by JJ_Miller:

Three words for you,

Hoof & mouth disease.

The end.

and brucellosis and rinderpest.....and all the PETA buff huggers they would kill!

Good hunting,

Andy

-----------------------------
Thomas Jefferson: “To compel a man to furnish funds for the propagation of ideas he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical.”

Posts: 6711 | Location: Oklahoma, USA | Registered: 14 March 2001Reply With Quote
posted
If you really think they will kill PETA types, maybe we should get behind importation.

One of Us
Picture of ACRecurve
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Texas Hunter:
If you really think they will kill PETA types, maybe we should get behind importation.

jumping hammering jumping

Good hunting,

Andy

-----------------------------
Thomas Jefferson: “To compel a man to furnish funds for the propagation of ideas he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical.”

Posts: 6711 | Location: Oklahoma, USA | Registered: 14 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Charles_Helm:
I The Texas Parks and Wildlife prohibition on hunting dangerous wild animals in an enclosure lists animals covered and buffalo are not on the list. Does that mean it is okay? I would say you better check with Texas Parks and Wildlife, and not rely on the internet.

This is the exact language from TPWD:

"CANNED HUNTS" (DANGEROUS WILD ANIMALS)
No person may kill or attempt to injure a dangerous wild animal (African or Asiatic lion, tiger, leopard, cheetah, hyena, bear, elephant, wolf, or rhinoceros, or any subspecies or hybrid of these animals) that is held in captivity in this state or that is released from captivity in this state for the purpose of being killed, nor may any person conduct, promote, advertise, or assist in the hunting of a dangerous wild animal.

Though the language doesn't spicificly say CAPE BUFFALO, it does say DANGEROUS GAME, may not be released into the wild for the purpose of hunting! The best thing is to call the Texas Parks & wildlife, and ask.

There are five very large Water Buffalo on the Camp Cooley Ranch behind a 12 foot 1000 acre fenced area, but they are not hunted.
You will never see Cape Buffalo introduced into the wild in the USA,IMO, they are simply to dangerous, and they are real hard to keep inside a fence!

The Buffalo hunted at Indiantown, FL Ranch is Water Buffalo, and is owned by Joe O'Bannon, and PH who hunts the African season in Tanzania. If you want to hunt one of the Water Buffalo,of the Phillipine type! they command a trophy fee that starts at about $750 for a yearling, and $4000 for a trophy+ $250 per day fee . The trophies will not be like those seen in Australia. The web site for the Florida thing is www.jroutfitters.com They look more like domestic cattle. The one group of Cape Buffalo brought to Texas back in the 1980s was soon disbanded, because they were to hard to control, and the state wouldn't allow hunting them. The liability would be off the charts! Roll Eyes

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Did they import adult cape buffalos to the US? No fence, short of solid pipe, will hold a bovine if they really want through -- they learn to not go through them as calves.

And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor.

Posts: 863 | Location: Texas | Registered: 25 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ElCaballero
posted Hide Post
Here you go! Not in the South West but in the U.S. of A. Cape Buffalo Hunting.

As a cattle rancher I don't like the idea. Just more stuff that could be a health problem. The problem with this is that their health can't be monitored without handling them peroidicly. (atleast once a year) If you handle them that much you might as well pay me and I'll let you shoot a cow.

JMHO

As a general rule, people are nuts!
spinksranch.com

Posts: 2094 | Location: Missouri, USA | Registered: 02 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted Hide Post
Back in the late 70's, early 80's, there were a lot of Cape Buffalo in the U.S., mostly in Zoos and Wild Animal Parks, like the ones operated by International Animal Exchage, and others.

I am not sure when it happened, around the mid to late 80's I believe, but nearly all of the Cape Buffalo in the U.S., were shipped back to Africa.

If there are any still here, it is being either kept very quiet, or is on a custom order basis only. There are ways to fence anything short of Elephants, in or out.

Under normal circumstances, animals won't try to go thru a fence, just for the hell of it. They are trying to get out for a reason.

Yes, hunting ANY Buffalo, even American Bison, is not like it would be if they were in a really wild situation, but how many folks have noticede that ALL of the large Bovines, don't really have the same opinion about human superiority that we do. JMO

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
Cross bread them with Brahamas (sp) & hunt the offspring. Big Grin

Doug Humbarger
NRA Life member
Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club 72'73.
Yankee Station

Try to look unimportant. Your enemy might be low on ammo.

Posts: 8345 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JohnAir
posted Hide Post
Can not be crossed with comon cattle, not even with asian buff species. Sincerus Caffer is a seperate species.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Dogcat,

Mike

I know of a Pair of Snow Monkeys that were in the Pearsall, TX area last year, I don't know if someone shot them, but they scared one hunter out of his blind.

Mink and Wall Tents don't go together. Especially when you are sleeping in the Wall Tent.
DRSS .470 & .500

Posts: 1051 | Location: The Land of Lutefisk | Registered: 23 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ElCaballero:
Here you go! Not in the South West but in the U.S. of A. Cape Buffalo Hunting.

As a cattle rancher I don't like the idea. Just more stuff that could be a health problem. The problem with this is that their health can't be monitored without handling them peroidicly. (atleast once a year) If you handle them that much you might as well pay me and I'll let you shoot a cow.

JMHO

Yeh! This outfit (High Adventure Ranch) has been advertizing Cape Buffalo hunts in Missouri for several years. They have not, to my knowledge had any to hunt to date. IMO, the advertizing Cape Buffalo hunts in the USA, is simply a draw, to get your attention, nothing more! Give them a call, and you will get an answer that they are out of them at this time. Evidently "AT THIS TIME" means all the time, unless something has changed lately!

I just tried to send them an E-mail, and their web-site is not responding! I will give them a phone call tomorrow, and ask the questions, but I think I already know the answers! Like the Bar-B ranch in Texas where one of the magazine gun writers hunted Asian water Buffalo last year, when I asked them about the DRSS doing a Water buffalo hunt there, suddenly, the owner was sick, and wasn't takeing on any hunts, and evaded answering how many Water Buffalo he had on his place! Confused

DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sierrabravo45:
quote:
Dogcat,

Mike

I know of a Pair of Snow Monkeys that were in the Pearsall, TX area last year, I don't know if someone shot them, but they scared one hunter out of his blind.

There was a couple of "MOVE-INS" Animal rights types who moved into Texas, to resque us from ourselves! It seems Japan had an over abundance of Snow Monkeys, and were about to kill them out, at one of their shrines! These two Do Dos patitioned the Japanese to let them take the monkeys and keep them in their resque facility in South Texas. Like all animal rights idiots, when it became a problem to take care os these monkeys they simply turned them loose on the countryside, and disapiered. Now we have more damn Snow Monkeys than Japan. They are distructive as hell, folks in South Texas are shooting them out as fast as they can. The climate here in Texas is exactly the same as southern Africa, and animals from there do very well in the wild here. You never know what you might see when sitting a deer stand in Texas! beer

DRSS Charter member

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

One of Us
posted Hide Post
never been to Africa and know next to nothing about cape buff, but have handled many wild/mean cattle. left to themselves, they do not normaly crash fences unless pursued or otherwise agitated. have been on large ranches where the cattle were left to fend for themselves until round-up. we would load 2-3 generations in trucks for a trip to the stockyards. am positive some of these had never had human contact. unless outlawed, I don't see why cape buff could not be hunted in a large ranch. probally not feasible economicaly. Kurt.

Posts: 205 | Location: Hondo Tx | Registered: 22 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dogcat:
quote:
Dogcat,

Mike

Mike,
You read my mind. I was in Florida awhile ago and saw a bunch of Reese's (sp?) monkeys that had gone wild. It got my trigger finger itchy.

I think baboons in the US would be awesome, however, I think a few PETA would get shot being mistaken for the real baboon.

Do baboons make good pets? Maybe I could train one to call in other baboons on my next trip to Africa...........

Indeed, baboons are sweet gentle creatures, especially when raised in groups of a dozen or more. They have natural maternal instincts, and make great baby sitters for human infants. They should also make fine parking lot attendants and waiters for fancy restaurants.

I have no idea why nobody has thought of this until now!

Posts: 5750 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 14 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Clem
posted Hide Post
Import at least one. Bring it to the rodeo circuit. "Here, ride this for an eight count." Eeker

Posts: 1292 | Location: I'm right here! | Registered: 01 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
We could cross a Cape Buff with Hillary and we..........no wait........that would be illegal............cruelty to animals...................JJ

" venator ferae bestiae et aquae vitae "

Posts: 593 | Location: Southern WV, USA | Registered: 03 August 2004Reply With Quote
posted
I don't think the buff would cooperate.