Find
Notify
Tools

Booking agent - typical rate?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Hi all,

I am interested to know what the standard rate (if there is a standard) is for booking agents/representatives?

10% of the hunt price or thereabouts?

How many agents do it as a full time job (it seems the larger ones probably do)?
It appears as if many do it as a parttime gig or am i mislead?

I am just interested to know as there seem to be quite a few but I know nothing about it apart from someone I knew who started one in 1995 but folded it after they took marketing fees from various outfitters but got no bookings. It is obviously a pretty tight-knit scene where reputation is key.

Thanks

Posts: 1274 | Location: Alberta (and RSA) | Registered: 16 October 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I believe 15% ia the going rate.

Posts: 1557 | Location: Texas | Registered: 26 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
10 % for the most part. Cabelas gets more.
My best frend has been doing this for more than 20 yrs . His African outfitter has all kind of what I call side pays = how many animals , Taxidery if the leave it + his normal 10%.
He does this full Time.

Posts: 1461 | Location: maryland / Clayton Delaware | Registered: 16 December 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Balla Balla
posted Hide Post
Generally it will be somewhere between (10 to 20%)

BUT that is not the full story as it will to a large degree depend upon each specific agent and on what basis he is working his trade

To nasme BUT a few (for instances) and in no particular order of importance

1) The hunter/agent whom has hunted with an outfitter and now sends hunts his way (apprentice)

2) The agent whom works ONLY for ONE outfitter exclusively on an agreed contractural basis ( semi-professional)

3) The agent/consultant whom might work for a number of different outfitters in various countries (full -professional)

4) The large Professional Company that amongst other business, books on behalf of many outfitters, the likes of Cabela's

Those are some of the main scenarious and each has its own set up negotiated as applicable.

Some persons do it purely for the allegiance to an outfitter with little or NO monetery gain to themselves

Some do it for love of the industry

Others do it for a living and/or to subsidise their lifestyle

Cheers, Peter

Posts: 3331 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ivan carter
posted Hide Post
Typical is 15% of the daily rate.

"The greatest threat to our wildlife is the thought that someone else will save it”

www.facebook.com/ivancartersafrica

www.ivancarterwca.org
www.ivancarter.com
ivan@ivancarter.com

Posts: 1201 | Location: South Africa  | Registered: 04 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Karl S
posted Hide Post
Kayaker, we normally work on the following:
DG hunts and PG hunts on state land 15% of daily rate only.
PG and leopard hunts on private land 15 on day rate and up to 15% (depending on animal) on trophy fee.
Packages 10% of total
Special packages - specific mentioned amount.

Karl Stumpfe
Ndumo Hunting Safaris www.huntingsafaris.net
karl@huntingsafaris.net
P.O. Box 1667, Katima Mulilo, Namibia
Cell: +264 81 1285 416
Fax: +264 61 254 328
Sat. phone: +88 163 166 9264

Posts: 1336 | Location: Namibia, Caprivi | Registered: 11 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the info guys,

Karl, I was wondering if there was two tier system for animals under different property rights regimes (private vs. public/communal).

Makes sense. Thanks.

Posts: 1274 | Location: Alberta (and RSA) | Registered: 16 October 2005Reply With Quote