New
Find
Notify
Tools

bullet selection
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
nosler 150 grs ball. tip as a primary bullet in a 7mm rem mag., What do you think? 3 shot group av 0.6"
Barnes X 160 av. 1.3".
nosler partiton av. 2"
Going to Namibia hunting: oryx, kudu, springbok, Zebra.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Fox,
you need to use the right bullet for the job and that's not the Nosler BT, at least not for zebra or gemsbok. I'd use that 160gr X bullet over the BT even if it only shot 2 inch groups. I had great results with the 200gr X in my 338/06 on zebra, kudu, gemsbok and a few of the other large African antelope. I have no experience with the Nosler partition, but others on this site have.

Posts: 472 | Location: Bothell WA | Registered: 31 July 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Save the Ballistic Tips for the baboons.

Go with the 'X' or Nosler Partitions on game.

George

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
Fox,

I hunted with 300grainers and all did lots of damage internally and with the 375 all did a nose dive...You are going to shoot some very big animals and they are tuff...I definately would go with a bigger bullet and even a 175gr...and it will not let you down..Also in the wind it will carry better....Remember a 1.5 inch group will still work out super...Slam the shoulders and bone fragments will do the rest..
Have a great trip..I am of to zim in August..

Mike

Posts: 6767 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Mark in SC
posted Hide Post
If you are shooting factory loads, try the Federal Premium 160 grain Nosler Partition load. It shoots 3/4" groups in our 7mm Rem Mag.

It would be a mistake to trust a 7mm Ballistic Tip to get the job done on the animals you have listed. Keep looking until you find a premium, controlled expansion bullet that gives you acceptable accuracy.

Your best bet is a heavy-for-caliber bullet (160 or 175 gr.) that shoots into 2" or less at 100 yards and, if necessary, will hold together while penetrating 3 feet of zebra.

Benchrest accuracy is seldom needed at normal hunting ranges and often impossible to realize under field conditions.

Posts: 692 | Location: South Carolina Lowcountry | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys, should I try the sirocco?. My rifle seems to like boattails better. Accubond?

one of us
Picture of HunterJim
posted Hide Post
Fox,

Give the Winchester FailSafe a try, that is a hard bullet (meaning it will give good penetration and not open too much too soon).

jim dodd

Posts: 4166 | Location: San Diego, CA USA | Registered: 14 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Fox,

I haven't had any experience with the Scirocco's (sp?), but the Ballistic Tips and like polymer-tipped bullets seem to open up very quickly and to not penetrate as well on larger animals. The Nosler Partitions have done a great job for me on all sorts of animals at very short to very long ranges. They penetrated very well, and had great effect on the animals, including tough ones like the gemsbok and wildebeest on my recent trip to Africa (with a .300RUM). Mostly Partitions have exited the animals I've shot with them, except for a couple of lengthwise shots I've made through tough, bigger animals. I'm lucky, my .300 shoots Noslers pretty accurately, but I'd find a load with a soft-point bullet for the game you're looking for.

Somebody may be able to tell you the Scirocco holds together better than the rest of the plastic tip bullets, though.

Good luck,

Steve

Posts: 1725 | Location: Maryland | Registered: 17 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What do you guys think about the 160gr Accubonds in 7mm?

Posts: 6080 | Location: New York City "The Concrete Jungle" | Registered: 04 May 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
Fox,

I forgot about the Accubonds.... The 160 are only 15 gr lighter then 175's...But the name is a strong bullet to hold together....

Mike

Posts: 6767 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
Save your BTs for those itty bitty Texas whitetails. Of the loads you have, I would take the Barnes, but I bet you can get the 160gr NP to shoot better. I get 1MOA using RL22 or IMR7828, otherlike H1000. African game is a bit more tenacious of life than your avg. deer.

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of RSEK
posted Hide Post
The 160 gr. Nosler Partition is very accurate in my rifles. I would feel more comfortable with it or a Barnes X. I would agree with Mark about trying Federal Premium ammunition.

Posts: 308 | Location: In transit | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Retreever,

Who are you hunting with in Zim in Aug., and what dates? I am also going there Aug 1-14, with Chipimbi Safaris and Lloyd Yeatman. Will be staying at Afton House July 30, before flying to Zim on 31st. May see you on the plane.

Posts: 200 | Location: Garner, TX | Registered: 17 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Fox,

Listen to these lads. Nosler partition is the minimum quality head for African game. A whole range of bullets exist that are even better, from monolithics like the Barnes X to modern cousins of the partition like the Swift A-frame, to bonded/welded core soft nose. Regards, Tim

Posts: 1319 | Location: Washington, DC | Registered: 17 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thank you for our input. I will try work with the Barnes bullet. Load N-165 65 grs, federal primer rem case, resulting in 2800 fps, no pressure signs. Does anyone have a load with the Vihtavuory powder? should I try to increase the speed? It's the Barnes 160 grs bullet.

The Nosler 140 Partition was doing 3150 fps should I slow it down a bit?

rgds fox

one of us
posted Hide Post
Fox,

I'm very much with Craig Boddington who argues for using heavy for caliber bullets on African game. I used the 175 nosler gr in my 7x57 against Dall sheep in the Yukon and against everything from impala to kudu in southern Africa. IMO, with a 7mm mag and likely shooting 150 yards or less, I'd give up some velocity for bullet weight.
Regards, Tim

Posts: 1319 | Location: Washington, DC | Registered: 17 March 2003Reply With Quote