THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    What is up with the flight prices lately?

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What is up with the flight prices lately?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of TheBigGuy
posted
Do I just not know where to look? I was told this summer the flight from Atl to Windhoek would be about $1600. Now best I can find is $2548. That's a price difference that cuts into my bag limit . I am planning on going June '05.

Any hints the more experienced can throw my way will be appreciated.

Posts: 1282 | Registered: 17 September 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of SnakeLover
posted Hide Post
Would guess the price increase has to do in part with when you are hunting. June is the "high price" season related to African travel cost. The prices of airline tickets both domestic and international may also be being impacted as oil prices cost $50/barrel recently. I'd suggest contacting Kathi on this board or using another agent to do some searching for you, they may be able to narrow the spread between expected and actual.

Brad

Posts: 472 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 26 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My ticket round tour to Windhoek from Helsinki (for Mar -05) came to 1134 Euros, pretty much the same in dollars. I think your price might be due to season. Have you checked different companies etc?

Posts: 2213 | Location: Finland | Registered: 02 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have noticed my tickets domestically are up quite a bit as well.

Do you have any miles? You could always use miles to hold a seat, then buy at the last minute, when prices sometimes come down.

Try switching to the day before/after as well.

Posts: 7577 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey Big Guy,
Check for available flights to Joburg in SA. Then contact a SA travel agency and see if they can fix you up with a regional flight between JNB & Windhoek - it might bring the price down somewhat - a rtn ticket to Windhoek from Joburg I would guess will probably run you somewhere btwn 3 & 500 bucks though?? Not sure about that - also check when you book the long haul to Joburg if you get a discount on add-on flights...i.e. to Namibia. Its a long shot, but might be worth a look. Best of luck!

Posts: 133 | Location: Sweden | Registered: 24 June 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Give our gal Kathi a call @ 708-425-3552. She's a regular here and you won't find a more knowledgeable travel agent for African travel.

Posts: 74 | Location: USA | Registered: 05 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The best we could find a couple of months back was 2200 from hot'lanta to Windhoek next year. Thanks "D"

Posts: 1701 | Location: Western NC | Registered: 28 June 2000Reply With Quote
Picture of T.Carr
posted Hide Post
Gracy Travel's website quotes a price of $1,625 (weekday) or $1,725 (weekend) from ATL to JNB (round trip) [plus taxes, security fees and fuel surcharge of $30].

They show an add-on fare to Windhoek for $100 one-way [plus taxes, security fees and fuel surcharge of $11].

What travel agent are you using?

Regards,

Terry

Posts: 5338 | Location: A Texan in the Missouri Ozarks | Registered: 02 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post

TSJ,
Waiting on the new contracts for 2005 for BA,KLM, Air Namibia.
Should be out within a couple of weeks.

Posts: 9497 | Location: Chicago | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Kathi
How do the prices look going through Frankfurt and then to Windhoek? It seems it might be less flight time if the price is as good. I'm thinking that route for next year.

Posts: 941 | Location: VT | Registered: 17 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of TheBigGuy
posted Hide Post
Kathi

Those prices are significantly better for sure!

I have forwarded your contact info to the hunt organizer. I will call him soon to see if he is ready to move on this.

Thanks a bunch.

Posts: 1282 | Registered: 17 September 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of jbderunz
posted Hide Post
Lunacy full blast :
I was having a look at Anyway.com :
All depends on the month and the day:
ATLANTA-WINKHOEK sun 10/10-sat10/30 7806$ SAF
ATLANTA-WINKHOEK fri 11/10-fri 01/07/05 9688$ SAF

ATLANTA-JOBURG sat 10/09 sat 10/30 2127$ SAF
ATLANTA-JOBURG sat 10/09 sat 10/30 6204$ AIR FRANCE
ATLANTA-JOBURG sat 10/09 sat 10/30 7150$ SAF
ATLANTA-JOBURG sun 02/26 sun 03/13 1461$ KLM
CRASHAIR could be cheaper

Posts: 1727 | Location: France, Alsace, Saverne | Registered: 24 August 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
These prices are good through ticketing by Oct 8th.
Oct 9th the new SAA prices and seasons go into effect for 2005.

June 01- June 10 departure
1,340 (weekday) or $1,440 (weekend) from ATL to JNB (round trip) plus taxes
add-on fare to Windhoek for $100 one-way

June 11- August 15 departure
1,5400 (weekday) or $1,640 (weekend) from ATL to JNB (round trip) plus taxes
add-on fare to Windhoek for $100 one-way

++++++++++++++++

2005 Seasons

Low Oct1 -Nov 30
Dec 24- Mar 15

Shoulder Mar 16-Jun 08
Aug 11- Sep 30