Find
Notify
Tools

bug/mosquitoe prevetions
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of bisonhunter1
posted
I plan to use permithin(sp) to treat my hunting clothes before my next trip (May/Jun 2008) and take along either a spray or lotion with a high DEET content as added protection for exposed skin and extra protection around wrists and ankles, hands, neck etc.

How have you other hunters transported these items on your trips, in your checked baggage (where anything over 3 oz is required by TSA these days) or as part of your hand carryons.

Some of the products Im looking at don't come as small as 3 oz. and/or are more cost effective in larger containers, 6 oz lotions or aerosol sprays. I really don't want to take these kind of things out of original factory packaging either and then get asked about what possibly "illegal" stuff I'm trying to "sneak" in somewhere.

Are there any type of vedors at the upcoming Dallas show which Im attending that have any specifics on anti-bug stuff, including nets that I could talk to first hand on this topic.

Willi

Posts: 576 | Location: Post Falls, Idaho | Registered: 03 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of SBT
posted Hide Post
Talk to Harry at Hunter's Headquarters about the bug proof jackets he sells. We found them very helpful in Zambia last year.

"There are worse memorials to a life well-lived than a pair of elephant tusks." Robert Ruark

Posts: 4780 | Location: Story, WY / San Carlos, Sonora, MX | Registered: 29 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
I have taken the Avon combo sun screen and bug repellent lotion in my checked bag on two trips, one in 2005 and one in 2007. I did not try to carry any on this last trip.

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Oday450
posted Hide Post
My understanding and experience is that you are limited to 3 oz in carry-on baggage. Larger quantities may be in checked baggage. I'm not sure of the rules on aerosols but on other things much larger volumes are accepted - booze for example.

"Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult."

Posts: 1313 | Location: The People's Republic of Maryland, USA | Registered: 05 August 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Safari-Hunt
posted Hide Post
You could always ask your PH or outfitter to get you

Bushman Plus, insect repellent.

80% Deet, Water resistant and added sunscreen. Resist removal by rain, sweat or rubbing. I took it to Angola with me and had no problems with bugs.

About $12.00 for a tube of 75g and I only used a little at a time should last you a whole 21 day safari. You could also use it for clothing they recommend to us on the openings.

I know I sound like I'm selling the stuff but I'm in no way connected to them just picked up the product used it and am very satisfied.

Frederik Cocquyt
I always try to use enough gun but then sometimes a brainshot works just as good.

Posts: 2548 | Location: Pretoria, Gauteng, South Africa | Registered: 06 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of TheBigGuy
posted Hide Post
Shannon's Bug Tamer clothing really does work. They are thorn magnets though so be warned.

If black thorn touches some of that clothing you will be forced to "Shed it" or "Shread it".

So for that reason, if you are going to be walking around in the bush, the pants are totally impracticable.

Permithrin works well as a pre-treater of clothing. But they will wash everything every day if they get a hold of it. So don't leave it where they can. Permanone has permithrin in it but it also contains other ingredients that significantly improve it's effectiveness. It's the better route for pre-treatment to go IMHO.

Posts: 1282 | Registered: 17 September 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
BH1,

I have used permethrin sprays and impregnated clothing extensively in africa and here in north america. I swear by it. Even for tetse bastards.

The impregnated clothing works well, but is pricey. I like the Fite Bite PUMP spray or the sawyer pump spray. (No aerosols allowed in checked or carry on bags)

Get the large size and just place them in a high quality zip lock (in case of leakage) and put it in your suitcase. The stuff works through a washing or two, so you won't need to apply it after every wash.

Dan Donarski
Hunter's Horn Adventures
Sault Ste. Marie, MI 49783
906-632-1947
www.huntershornadventures.com

Posts: 668 | Location: Michigan's U.P. | Registered: 20 January 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Just ordered some Bushman Plus online. Since I don't go to Zambia for about 9 months.....I should have it in time!

Gary
DRSS
NRA Lifer
SCI
DSC

Posts: 1970 | Location: NE Georgia, USA | Registered: 21 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I put a couple of cans of Deet in my check luggage in a plastic bag in case they leaked. No problem, no leakage. Good luck.

Swift, Silent, & Friendly

Posts: 426 | Location: Nevada | Registered: 14 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bisonhunter1
posted Hide Post
GarBy ------ where/how did you oder the Bushman PLus? Everthing I found online about it is from downunder in OZ and the shipping appeared to be a killer for this stuff.

Posts: 576 | Location: Post Falls, Idaho | Registered: 03 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Safari-Hunt
posted Hide Post
http://www.bushman-repellent.com/order.php

I suppose you found the same website. Even if they charge $10.00 for shipping it would be worth it and buy at least two then.

With the name like Bushman I thought it was a SA product now I only read at the back "Made in Australia." Big Grin

Frederik Cocquyt
I always try to use enough gun but then sometimes a brainshot works just as good.

Posts: 2548 | Location: Pretoria, Gauteng, South Africa | Registered: 06 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Safari-Hunt......exactly what I did....ordered enough bottles (4) that the shipping averaged out. Split with a friend who hunts deer in Florida...and we got some bugs too when it's 95* out there! If it's good stuff...it's worth a bit for the shipping.
Bison.....order some up....in the grand scheme of safari costs...I wish EVERYTHING was this economical....especially if it works like a many have said.

Gary
DRSS
NRA Lifer
SCI
DSC

Posts: 1970 | Location: NE Georgia, USA | Registered: 21 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Willi,

I recommend the OFF Skintastic or any of the duel purpose products that protect against sun and bugs. In the case of the OFF it comes in a 3 oz tube that will last through several safaris. Sadie and I bought 4 tubes for our '03 safari and still have 2 tubes left. I'm not sure that treating your clothes ahead of time is really necessary or that helpful.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 13008 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've found after living in the tropics and sub tropics for most of my life that permethrin works for about four or five washings. I lived on the edge of the Everglades for thirteen years and used to call my place, "Mosquitoville." That was no joke in the rainy season. They were thick. High deet concentrates work well, also.

Posts: 11729 | Location: Florida | Registered: 25 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of CARLOSTHEJACKAL
posted Hide Post
The avon sunscreen/bug repellent worked well for me in Zim this past september. I put it in my check baggage vacumed sealed. The only draw back to the combo is that it has a strong soap smell.

NRA Life Member
DSC Life Member

Government exists to protect us from each other. Where government has gone beyond its limits is in deciding to protect us from ourselves.
Ronald Reagan

Posts: 486 | Location: SE TEXAS | Registered: 26 June 2007Reply With Quote