THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    Taking meat home after african hunt?

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Taking meat home after african hunt?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
So say you shoot an elephant, hippo or cape buffalow how much of the meat are you allowed to eat or take home. I understand that you are required to give alot of the meat to the local tribes is that correct?

Posts: 521 | Registered: 30 September 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Namibia, Steel, requires that the meat be used. In the Mamili concession in the Caprivi Strip we went and got a dozen from the nearby village and they butchered the elephant I'd shot and took the meat back home to smoke and eat.

Don't think about trying to bring game meat in any form into the USA if it's from swine or bovine (wart hog, bushpig, Cape buffalo). Ostrich, on the other hand, is a bird and ostrich biltong was allowed in when I brought some along one year.

Regards, Tim

Posts: 1322 | Location: Washington, DC | Registered: 17 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBoutfishn
posted Hide Post
I guess you could eat all you want, but the meat cannot be imported.

Jim "Bwana Umfundi"
NRA

Posts: 3014 | Location: State Of Jefferson | Registered: 27 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
well when I went on my bison hunt I justified the cost by all the meat I got to keep. I guess even if you could take meat back with you shipping would be expensive.

Posts: 521 | Registered: 30 September 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
you think?? expensive and illegal. if you can't bring home biltong( and you can't, at least legally), you certainly aren't going to bring home raw meat( forgetting of course the logistics of trying to keep it frozen for 20 or so hours of travel, even if you live on the east coast.

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13390 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of DesertRam
posted Hide Post
Rest assured it'll get eaten there, either by the people or by critters eating it as bait. Eat all you can while you're there and leave the rest content in the knowledge that it's extremely unlikely to go to waste.

Posts: 3301 | Location: Southern NM USA | Registered: 01 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JudgeG
posted Hide Post
The hunting companies of Africa put the value of the meat into the pricing matrix. Some commercially sell it (RSA), most all serve it in camp (and it is delicious), some use it as a p.r. tool with the locals, sometimes it is used as cat bait (and you don't need to shoot an impala or something "extra"). With a couple of the elephants I've shot, a portion went to the camp staff, a portion to the locals and the rest was sold to the croc farm to feed the future belts, handbags and shoes. Big Grin

None went to waste...

BTW, someone should post a picture of the staff area after a buffalo is shot. About a mile of homemade twine holding up a quarter ton of drying biltong. Cool!

JudgeG ... just counting time 'til I am again finding balm in Gilead chilled out somewhere in the Selous.

Posts: 7694 | Location: GA | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BNagel
posted Hide Post
In some operations you're eating the last guy's stuff. The land owner usually has say over what gets eaten (vs. what is HIS), so just enjoy the hunting and ask ahead of time what you get to try...

Posts: 4881 | Location: Bryan, Texas | Registered: 12 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grafton
posted Hide Post
Belive me, After seeing some of the skins and skulls that come out of the crates, I don't even want to think about opening a crate of meat.... Big Grin

I can see the list of charges now, dip and pack, marinade fee, dry rub insecticide treatment, debone charges, freezer paper $8.00 per foot, labeling fee, USDA meat inspection, nutritional label charge, cooking instruction manifest fee...be happy to leave the meat there...very happy!

SAFARI ARTS TAXIDERMY
http://www.safariarts.net/

Posts: 1378 | Location: Virginia, USA | Registered: 05 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Sorry, no meat is exportable into the United States, period. Big Grin Eat some of it while you're there and enjoy it. That's all you'll get to enjoy.

One of Us
Picture of Flipper Dude
posted Hide Post
quote:

Camp biltong from my buffalo. Literally yards of this from one buff.

Posts: 262 | Location: Huffman, TX.  | Registered: 04 August 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Flipper Dude
posted Hide Post
Quite a bit of meat distibuted to the locals who helped with the recovery. Maybe 12 to 15 people of all ages.

Posts: 262 | Location: Huffman, TX.  | Registered: 04 August 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You sound like you are from Wisconsin. Whenever I tell someone that I went to Africa they always ask "How do you bring the meat home" I guess it's just the way we are, never wanting to waste anything. When I tell them that it goes to the locals and we are not allowed to bring it back then it's OK.