THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    Pictures Of A Few Bullets We Have Recovered - More Pictures Have Been Added

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Pictures Of A Few Bullets We Have Recovered - More Pictures Have Been Added
 Login/Join

Administrator
posted

Top are Swift A-Frames
Bottom are jackets from normal soft points.

Solids recovered from elephants

Trophy Bonded Bear Claws.
416 caliber and 270 caliber.

Damaged Walterhog bullet. Parts of it seem to have sheered off completely. We thing there was a fault in th material that caused it.

It was fired at a buffalo bull at about 200 yards. It went through his heart, tearing it to pieces, and was lodged under the skin on the other side. The bull ran less than 20 yards and died.

Walterhog bullets

Barnes X. 375 caliber and 270 caliber.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68668 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That's a lot of deceased animules..!!! clap

Posts: 13301 | Location: On the Couch with West Coast Cool | Registered: 20 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Colin Castelli
posted Hide Post
Are all of those .375s from one of Walter's trophies?

Posts: 180 | Location: South Africa | Registered: 16 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the pics Saeed. They represent a huge amount of experience in bullet performance on game animals.

Bloody hell..... Big Grin

Literally! thumb

Verbera!, Iugula!, Iugula!!!

Blair.

Posts: 8808 | Location: Sydney, Australia. | Registered: 21 March 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fallow Buck
posted Hide Post
That little lot must have created quite a mountain of Biltong!!

Thanks for posting,
FB

Posts: 4096 | Location: London | Registered: 03 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Saeed,

It looks like quite a few of the Barnes solids show some bending at the canalure. Did you see any indication that these bullets were tumbling?

465H&H

Posts: 5686 | Location: Nampa, Idaho | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
I have no sure way of telling that any tumbling has occured with the solids.

But, the Walterhog bullets that have not expanded at all sure have.

But, they usually penetrate the whole width of a buffalo.

Wwe have found them on the oppiste side under the skin.

Generally this happened when the bullet has hit a tree on the way. It then hits the buffalo sideways, and still penetrate completely to be found under the skin on the opposite side.

Posts: 68668 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Andy
posted Hide Post
Saeed,

If you are interested in trying to make the Walterhog maintain its expanded frontal area there are two ways you could probably do it.

the easiest way would be to anneal the bullet.

this will make it more ductile and less likely to fracture off the Hollow Point.

If you do anneal the bullet, be sure to moly coat it as you do now, as it will be quite alot softer and more likely to coat the barrel with copper if not moly coated.

Also be sure to reduce your starting load or powder as the bullet will probably expand to fill the bore much faster than an un-annealed bullet.

Then work back up to your normal velocity.

Second way to maintain frontal area of expanded bullet would be to swage the hollow point as the new Nosler E tip and Barnes appear to do. this will make a much larger HP with a thicker, triangular shaped base to the interior profile of the HP.

this will require a 60 ton press and precision dies.

Im sure Walter could do that for you!

On second thought, maybe just try and anneal them! Smiler

Andy

Posts: 1278 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 16 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Darn it Saeed you have busted my bubble, I thought all bullets especially the perfection claimed Swifts and Barnes X expanded into picture perfect mushrooms 110% of the time, I've been had!!~ and I'm in a state of depression! pissers

Jokeing aside, the spine of a buffalo or large animal will wreck havoc on any bullet, soft lung tissue normally won't even tear up a Sierra....

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42156 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Saeed, very interesting pictures.

Looking at all the expanding bullets, and knowing the velocities you drive them at it looks like to me that the Trophy Bonded did the best job of big expansion AND holding together.

Question:

Baised on the actual bullet wounds in the animal, which of these bullets do you consider to do the most damage?

And do they all travel in a straght line ie. do not have unexpected direction changes in the animal?

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
I have all the bullets deviate from the straight.

The Bear Claws 416 started off at 2500 fps.
The 270 started off at 3100 fps.

The worst damage done on an animal I have seen was done by our own Walterhog bullets that actualy fall apart. Like the one I have posted above.

Another one hit a buffalo bull in the shoulder. It did not even penetrate into the chest cavity.

But, the shoulder bone was turned into jelly-like state. The bull could not wal, and found it hard to stand up.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
The worst damage done on an animal I have seen was done by our own Walterhog bullets that actualy fall apart. Like the one I have posted above.

The finer points of terminal ballistics. One would expect the opposite. But they performed better than the others.

Verbera!, Iugula!, Iugula!!!

Blair.

Posts: 8808 | Location: Sydney, Australia. | Registered: 21 March 2007Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post

This is the buffalo shot with that bullet pictured above which has lost the front half.

The bull was walking about 200 yards away. You can see where it hit him, and what it did to his heart.

Administrator
posted Hide Post

This one was also shot in the heart, and the bullet lost its petals, after causing some serious damage.

one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
The conclusion I draw from the photos of the softs is that my contention that Partitions and Swifts can't be beat is indeed correct.

One can claim that the fragmenting petals of the mono's do considerable damage but that is the whole basis of the Partition design, the lead core separating and doing great damage.

The Swifts expand to a large diameter which is what they are suppose to do, and I have never had one fail (fragment).

If you shoot 'em in the right place, they never fail either!

-------------------------------
Will Stewart / Once you've been amongst them, there is no such thing as too much gun.
---------------------------------------
and, God Bless John Wayne.

NRA Benefactor Member, GOA, N.A.G.R.

"Elephant and Elephant Guns" $99 shipped
“Hunting Africa's Dangerous Game" $20 shipped.

red.dirt.elephant@gmail.com

Hoping to wind up where elephant hunters go.

Posts: 19362 | Location: Ocala Flats | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote