New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: 458 Win. Mag. in Africa
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
To start with only a 375 length action or and openned up std. action should be used for a 458 Lott...Any way one cuts it a 458 Lott will out perform a 458 Win...that is a fact of life unless you start making exception in construction, which you are...

IMO, when one tries to make a Lott out of a 458 Win. he is trying to make a silk purse out of a sows ear...The 458 Win is now and always will be a poorly designed cartridge...In order to get a 500 gr. bullet at 2100 with any powder you must load it at 110% density, and that works, but it also creates the problem that has plagued the 458 Win and that is compaction....You can get 2000 FPS with the 458 Win. with a 500 gr. bullet and light compaction and thats a good route and plenty of velocity for DG IMO>

The 458 with a 450 gr. bullet is the best solution for the the 458 case IMO, and thats a viable solution, but not one I want to deal with, too many other great calibers out there to mess with this spoiled child!

The 458 is a workable cartridge, it will get you by if you want to deal with its inherent faults....

Posts: 42171 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If you use the Lee factory crimp die you do not need a cannaluer tp crimp the rounds therefore you can load to the 3.34OAL.
On another note, I have a 458 Win. Mag. Model 70 African that is a using rifle in that it has been bedded and the stock refinished therefore no longer a collector rifle. I have thought of modifying it by replacing the short magnum action with a long magnum action I have. I have sevral long magnum actions and thought that I would replace the original action with a long action and out seat the bullets and reduce the pressure and the powder compression. What do you guys think of the idea????? I do not want to alter the barrel as this is a hard to find action/barrel combination anyway.

Posts: 2608 | Location: Moore, Oklahoma, USA | Registered: 28 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ray, what about the 480 gr Woodleighs. Couldn't they work and at N.E. velocities??

Posts: 2608 | Location: Moore, Oklahoma, USA | Registered: 28 December 2003Reply With Quote