Find
Notify
Tools

Miatengwe here we come...
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of 218 Bee
posted
Well, within the week the She-Wolf and I climb aboard the first of four flight legs that will ultimately pitch us up in Bulawayo. There we’ll meet our old friend Mark “Butch” Butcher of Matupula Hunters, swing by for a visit with his lovely bride Antonia, and (since I missed them while they were here in the States) get to see their new daughter Baelin. From there, depending on weather conditions, we’ll determine which direction we’ll head in hopes of stumbling across an old ndlovu with bigger teeth than he can comfortably carry! Miatengwe seems to top the list...

This will be our first time back in Zim since 2002 and my first (and possibly last) time after elephant. Frankly, with the economy in the shape it’s in, we’d briefly considered scrapping this adventure. My over-amped fiscal paranoia coupled with Jane’s well-documented thrift was almost enough to scrub the trip…almost. Taking into consideration the fact that we booked this trip three years ago, and our disconcerting habit of getting older every year (with no relief in sight), made us decide to go ahead…heaven knows that our friends in Zim can use the support.

So the shots have been taken and the packing lists have been fine-tuned. The bright .416 Rigby cases are stuffed with a Duke’s Mixture of GS Customs, Barnes Banded Solids and even the remains of my old Jack-Carter-vintage Trophy Bonded Sledgehammers. My old .375 will tag along as always, suited up and ready to play against all comers.

In a week’s time I’ll be back in my “other” home country, sitting under the Southern Cross with the warm glow of a mopane wood fire to ease the aches from my knees and the worries from my mind. The love of my life will be sitting next to me, and a man I’m proud to call my friend will be sitting across the fire from us. An elephant may die the next day…or not. Regardless, heaven won’t be more than a stone’s throw from where we’ll be…

I’ll post details of the trip upon our return, of course. Pics too, providing one of us can figure out the intricacies of doing so with the new video camera that we’re taking. Bloody gadgets!

Mark

DRSS

"I always take care to fire into the nearest hillside and, lacking that, into darkness." - the late Dr. Hunter S. Thompson

Posts: 610 | Location: Coleman County, Texas | Registered: 05 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of SBT
posted Hide Post
That sounds like a wonderful trip Mark, I'm glad you didn't cancel. Best of Luck!

"There are worse memorials to a life well-lived than a pair of elephant tusks." Robert Ruark

Posts: 4780 | Location: Story, WY / San Carlos, Sonora, MX | Registered: 29 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 218 Bee
posted Hide Post
Thank you, sir. I expect it'll be another wonderful trip; after all, they are largely what you make it.

As far as near-cancellation is concerned, I'm really glad that we're doing this now. Who knows what the future holds for the economy or for any one of us?

Mark

DRSS

"I always take care to fire into the nearest hillside and, lacking that, into darkness." - the late Dr. Hunter S. Thompson

Posts: 610 | Location: Coleman County, Texas | Registered: 05 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
Mark and wife have a great time and we look forward to your return safely with a lifetime of stories...

To wet your appetite...

Mike
http://picasaweb.google.com/re...aChopChopSAdventure#

Michael Podwika... DRSS bigbores and hunting www.pvt.co.za " MAKE THE SHOT " 450#2 Famars

Posts: 6768 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mark,

Great write up, I haven't been to Africa yet, but your post has further stoked the embers.

Jon

Posts: 344 | Location: Pocatello, Idaho | Registered: 26 August 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mark,

Congratulations on your decision to visit Africa again and kodos to the missus for joining you and supporting your endeavors. I too am a bit long in the tooth and have the african addiction and am fortunate enuf to have a wife who has hunted with me in africa 8 times.

Your description of the campfire shielding you and those you care for from the intensity and muted chaos that is the african night took me back ther for a moment. Thank you, have a great hunt.

Adrian

Posts: 414 | Location: Tennille, Ga | Registered: 29 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 218 Bee
posted Hide Post
Asante sana, Mike! What a beautiful batch of pics. Each are wonderful in their own way; I think many of us don't spend as much time as we should paying attention to the myriad species of dudu. And a pangolin! No small wonder you enjoyed such success with such a fortunate bit of good-luck muti...

Jon,
If any feeble words of mine encourage you to join us in our addiction to Africa, all I can say is...welcome! If I'm able to convey even a hundreth part of what a safari can be, I'll count myself as fortunate indeed.

Mark

DRSS

one of us
Picture of 218 Bee
posted Hide Post
Adrian,

It seems we both are blessed to have wives who are hunting partners (or is it hunting partners who are wives?). When we were debating about making this trip or not, Jane suggested that I simply go alone to minimize travel costs. Well, that idea was a non-starter...if the She-Wolf don't go, I don't go!

Thank you as well for the kind words. You know, after our first trip I built a deck onto the back of the house complete with a fire pit so I could re-create evenings spent around the fire. How's that for full-on addiction?

Mark

DRSS

one of us
Picture of 218 Bee
posted Hide Post
Flying out tomorrow...report to follow.

Mark

DRSS