THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    Luxury Plains Game Operator in SA Recommendation?

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Luxury Plains Game Operator in SA Recommendation?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of KPete
posted
Some friends of ours want to take their young sons on an African plains game safari next summer. Back from the field, they are not looking to rough it whatsoever. Here's what they are looking for:

• South Africa
    • Good trophy quality for game like warthog, springbok, zebra, nyala - and not-terribly-expensive starter trophies for the boys
    • Luxury camp & accommodations
    • Gourmet food
    • Swimming pool
    • Kid-friendly environment (ages 9 - 12)

The mother is rather dubious about the whole safari hunting thing, so an honest-and-true luxury camp with first-rate food is very important to close the deal. (My wife and I may be going to hunt SA next year, too, but probably in a more traditional camp close to Kruger.)

I would really like to see these folks bitten by the African hunting bug, so any suggestions, links, and/or photos, would be much appreciated.

Kim

Merkel Double .470 NE
Whitworth Express .375 H&H
Griffin & Howe .275 Rigby
Winchester M70 (pre-64) .30-06 & .270

"Cogito ergo venor" René Descartes on African Safari

one of us
posted Hide Post
Even better, I would have them check out Omujeve Safaris in Namibia. 5-star accomodations and gourmet meals, great game viewing and photo opportunities, other activities including touring, hunting even for kids. Fishing for a sideline if bored with hunting.

You know how good they are. Have them research some of the other threads and hunt reports. Its only a couple hour trip to the best of all.

www.omujevesafaris.com

Posts: 1517 | Location: Idaho Falls, Idaho | Registered: 03 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Check out Cape to Cairo safaris.
http://www.wow-safari.com/

They have one particular camp on the border of Botswana in South Africa that is amazing and some of the best food that I have ever had.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I strongly Recommend you look at www.northernzululand.com
The accomodation you will be staying in if you so choose is here http://www.mkuzefalls.com/
They hunt a combined area of over 40 000 ha or 80 000 acres and the head PH for the operation is Leo van Rooyen, one of the best PH's I have ever come across and with a track record that cant be beaten.
The great thing about this is that your family has the 5 star game viewing and culinary experience while you hunt some awesome game in one of the most majestic areas the country has to offer with honest to god, naturally occurring Nyala in the heart of Nyala territory.
If you want more info before you get in contact send me a PM.
Good luck
HQ

Posts: 305 | Location: South Africa | Registered: 13 April 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Chris Lozano
posted Hide Post
Kim

Have your friend look at www.zulunyala.com It is set up as a luxury photo safari area. You can up grade to hunting for very little. Lots to do for the non hunter. I believe Mark De Wet is the resident Ph now.

They also donate many trips to the banquets, so you could pick up a trip for cheap then upgrade to a hunt.

Posts: 759 | Location: Michigan USA | Registered: 27 September 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
In terms of luxury, these two spring to mind.

http://www.ratelfontein.com/

http://wintershoekjvs.com/

I also know of another concession managed by a good friend which is on a par with these two, near Thabazimbi in Limpopo Province. PM me if you are interested in more details.

Posts: 392 | Location: Pretoria, South Africa | Registered: 30 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of tendrams
posted Hide Post
I too would strongly suggest Namibia were it not for the Nyala being requested.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Matwetwe Safaris in Limpopo Province is an excellent camp. The PH/Owner/Rancher, Hendrik Botha, is one of the finest PH you will encounter. The camp has everything you desire and in addition Hendrik has two sons about the same age as the boys you describe.

Something to keep in mind, you mention "next summer" & swimming pool, its sort of cool in South Africa during our (U.S.) summer months.

Matwetwe has a web site. One more thing - very affordable.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Man, you haven't talked with Mark about Zulu Nyala as a base and have the whole Hluhluwe area to choose from. Shame on you!

Posts: 5338 | Location: Bedford, Pa. USA | Registered: 23 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
Be careful about some of the big lux lodges as while they are very beautiful and top notch in accommodatrion they are also very busy with LOTS of people staying there at the same time.

Most are not going to be hunters. I have stayed at a few of the big places in the past and they were more 'Disney resort' than safari. I was not happy at all with them despite all the glitter.

To me and probably many of you all, a luxury camp is one where it is only me and my party. There are literally hundreds of smaller, intimate palces all over Africa that all offer top of the line meals, unique African lodging, style, and comfort but also make the most important thing happen for you: Personal service.

So for that I would recommend your friends NOT pick a big name place.

I have a great PH who will cater to their every need and has some of the best nyala and native Zululand game out there. He also encourages families and is keen to have young hunters in camp. He has stunning, intimate lodges available and no crowds.

They will not (should not) find springbok in Zululand but impala make a nice first antelope choice instead. Warthogs are plenty and also fun to hunt and observe. There is lots of good cultural activities in Zululand for a family to enjoy as well. It's good area to start the safari bug!

~Ann

Posts: 19551 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I totally agree with Ann,, you might as well stay in the states at a Ritz-Carlton and go to a Zoo. There are lots of great places that can cater just to your group, and if I am taking a novice hunter,, it needs very personal attention not only for success but for safety. They will be disappointed if there is no "Africa" experience to the mix.

you can make more money, you can not make more time

Posts: 786 | Location: Mexia Texas | Registered: 07 July 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Do yourself a favor and check out Ezulu Safaris (formerly Swartkei Safaris). They are in the eastern Cape and have three different areas ranging from the Indian Ocean to high mountains. They offer a full line of trophies. All camps are luxury camps with the middle one being in the 5 star category. The Swartkei Family are very children friendly as they have children of their own. On my first safari in south Africa I hunted with the Swartkei's and had a most memorable hunt with their 5 year old son who killed a wildebeast with one shot. Grant will make a helleva PH when he grows up. If you would like pictures of the camps etc. contact me and I will e-mail them to you.

Muchas gracias,
Hoot

Posts: 791 | Location: La Luz, New Mexico USA | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
zulu nyala is owned by travor shaw & he knows the hospitality business. i hunted with him back in 1987. can't go wrong there

Posts: 13461 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Check out Matabula safaris, John and Laurie Abraham. They have some top notch concessions with very nice camps.

Posts: 2173 | Location: NORTHWEST NEW MEXICO, USA | Registered: 05 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of CCMDoc
posted Hide Post
Great question Kim - I was about to post something very similar.

My 11 year old daughter just learned that my father and I will be heading to Namibia in about a month. I hadn't thought to tell her when I made the plans because of my father's battle with and subsequent surgery for lung cancer. The whole thing was up in the air and obviously his health took precendence over any safari.

In any event, I wasnt prepared for the anger and disappointment when she learned of our trip and that I wasn't taking her as I had promised to do after my last African safari.

So, your question and this information is both timely and welcome.

She is a gentle and sensitive soul and her daddy's little girl - for now, I know ... I know ...

Warthog, birds maybe impala and widebeest would probably be on the list of game animals but doubtful we would need or want anything else. The African experience is very important but she is not the rough and tumble type so, like Kim, "nice place and comfort" along with her safety is high on the list. If nice enough, I might even be able to drag my wife of 25 years along as well ...

Keep the advice and suggestions coming - I truly appreciate it.

NRA Lifer; DSC Lifer; SCI member; DRSS; AR member since November 9 2003

Don't Save the best for last, the smile for later or the "Thanks" for tomorow

Posts: 3465 | Location: In the Shadow of Griffin&Howe | Registered: 24 November 2007Reply With Quote