New
Find
Notify
Tools

Drought and Management Hunts
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
It's been 18 years since I went to Namibia for plains game. I was very successful as several trophies went Rowland Ward. I have little desire to do that again and don't have a yen for DG.

For me, it was all about the daily experience that is Africa. I am open to other destinations beside Namibia.

I would like get in a lot of shooting. Can anyone here suggest a management hunt this year or next? I understand much depends on the rains.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Posts: 691 | Location: UTC+8 | Registered: 21 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Remember that Namibia's drought has lasted 7 years so far. Accordingly, most of the serious culling has already occured - as in last year and the year before. There are some areas and some high fenced operations that are still culling but there isn't a lot left to cull. Everything we lose from this point forward is our future genetic pool.

Most of the operators are suffering so you should be able to score big discounts on management hunts in 2020.

Most of the big work now is culling predator populations that have exploded over the past 5 years. There's still plenty of that going on...

Just Remember, We ALL Told You So.

Posts: 22442 | Location: Occupying Little Minds Rent Free | Registered: 04 October 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thank you for your insight.

I confess to being ignorant of the conditions till I emailed them at Gras Lodge. Wonderful people I'd like to return to but they are clearly affected by the long drought as well. With a drought this long I imagine trophy quality has been affected as well.

Perhaps my best bet is to be patient and wait for good news.

Meanwhile, full recovery from a stroke and assorted other situations out of my control has me champing at the bit to get back out in the field.

To be clear, it's not so much a discount I am seeking but a lot of shooting.

I've perused the Outfitters forum for options and didn't see any recent postings so thought I'd inquire here. Are there any names that you know I can contact?

___________________________________________________________________________________________

One of Us
posted Hide Post
There are landowners in the Karoo region in the RSA that occasionally have cull hunts for springbok, even in the good years. Some of them exhibit at the DSC and SCI shows. Jules of the Karoo is one of them.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the leads, guys. I might add I am a retired chef and found springbok to be one of the best game meats I've ever had. (Roe deer, Dall sheep and Pronghorn antelope are the others.)

But that's me. I've long been a meat hunter and will take a head shot whenever possible.

I should have been more clear. I was once offered to cull as many as 30 Springbok in a week and wonder if that is possible anywhere in southern Africa today in view of the drought conditions. I'm open to other species as well.

___________________________________________________________________________________________

One of Us
posted Hide Post
For a change of place and experience I can offer you cull hunts in Bulgaria:

6 nights stay, 5 hunting days €3,000, non-hunter €1080 (sharing room)

Includes:
Up to 15 red and fallow deer hinds, calves and non-trophy wild boar
Gun permit
Hunting license
Meet and greet at airport
All meals
Lodging
Alcohol in moderation
Interpreter services
Preparation of trophies in the hunting area

Does not include:

Transfer from Sofia €300, Varna €150/vehicle
Gun import €120
Gun hire
Tips and gratuities
* Preparation of trophies for export, crating and airline freight to final destination if trophy animals are taken

You can also shoot trophy animals as well on this hunt for just the t/fees.

Arjun Reddy
Hunters Networks LLC
30 Ivy Hill Road
Brewster, NY 10509
Tel: +1 845 259 3628
2020, DSC booth # 2350
2020, SCI booth # 3167

Posts: 2570 | Location: New York, USA | Registered: 13 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
PM Sent

Posts: 573 | Location: Somewhere between here and there. | Registered: 28 February 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thank you to all who have responded here and in PMs. I will get back to each of you today and tomorrow.

one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
Try Johan and Hendrik Koetze at https://www.kalaharihuntingsaf...unting-packages.html

They have some high volume hunts and are great people to deal with.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12688 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Singleshot03
posted Hide Post
I just finished two cull hunts last month: one in South Africa and one in Namibia. Here are my hunt reports.

South Africa

Nambia

Posts: 1493 | Location: Cincinnati  | Registered: 28 May 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Excellent reports. Thank you for linking them.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Fjold, Kalahari Hunting looks like a great place. Would that be a good place for me to take my Grandson? Wide open wild country. Beautiful fo a mountain man like me. I assume that there would be some long shot. Right? I would like to keep it under 200 yds for my grandson. What do you think? Possible in that country?

They look like good folks.

IHMSA BC Provincial Champion and Perfect 40 Score, Unlimited Category, AAA Class.

Posts: 3400 | Location: Kamloops, BC | Registered: 09 November 2015Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Brian Canada:
Fjold, Kalahari Hunting looks like a great place. Would that be a good place for me to take my Grandson? Wide open wild country. Beautiful fo a mountain man like me. I assume that there would be some long shot. Right? I would like to keep it under 200 yds for my grandson. What do you think? Possible in that country?

They look like good folks.

Brian,

Absolutely safe for the grandson. Johan, his wife and son (Hendrik) are great hosts. There will be ample opportunities at both short and longer distances probably a third of our shots were at 150 yards. I would recommend a flatter shooting rifle for you as some great opportunities can be had at longer ranges also.

It will save you a lot of travel time if you fly into Upington, South Africa instead of Windhoek. SAA only flies once per day to Windhoek and that flight lands at 9 PM so you have to overnight there before driving 7+ hours to the farm near Aroab, Namibia.

SAA flies from OR Tambo to Upngton at 11:05 AM and 3:20 PM and it's less than 3 hours drive to the farm.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12688 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Frank, Thanks for the good news. Good people, good country.
Also, thanks for the advice on flights. Very helpful.

My grandson, Jaxon, will be 12 yrs old when we go in 2021. ( I like to plan ahead. Some of the family are non-hunters and they are long range planners too. I have get him slotted in first for 2021 or I lose my spot! )

He will be a decent shot by then. ( I got him a Ruger 10-22 Target model gopher rifle and scope for Christmas. )
He will use either a 243 AI or a 7x57 AI in a TC Encore for the Africa hunt.

I will continue checking it out and may post you in the future. I have been looking for something real wild and exotic for him. This is it! ( He hunted last year in South Africa. ) My wife and I have expired Namibia for two weeks in 2016. Wonderful country.

Thanks again for your help/advice. Brian

IHMSA BC Provincial Champion and Perfect 40 Score, Unlimited Category, AAA Class.

Posts: 3400 | Location: Kamloops, BC | Registered: 09 November 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Fjold, I just realized that I am going near Aroab next Sept. ( unfortunately not with my grandson this trip) After a buffalo hunt in Mozambique we are going to Kgalagadi Transfrontier park and will Jackal call/hunt at some farms along the way for a new days. Small world. Brian