Find
Notify
Tools

Well my safari fell apart :(
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of TheBigGuy
posted
I was planning on tagging along with a party of 8 end of May but they all chickened out (for various reasons Roll Eyes) and canceled. Just seemed too scary to these guys. Didn't matter how much I tried.

Traveling alone is not an option for me yet. Hopefully by next May I will be ready. All my vacation time quickly got alloted to other things. So a safari this year is out. Going to the SCI fundraiser banquet later this month so I will keep my hopes up. Maybe find something my Non Hunting wife will enjoy Smiler

I enjoy rifle hunting but it seems the bowhunter gets his stuff thru customs easier. I like bowhunting too Smiler

Apparently there is no safety in numbers in planning a safari. Lesson learned.

Posts: 1282 | Registered: 17 September 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
You can often find another group or another hunter who is looking for a partner on a safari. I have one right now who's partner backed out if you still want to explore a hunt this year.

Late season specials often crop up so if you can leave town on short notice you can often sccop a good deal up then.

~Ann

Posts: 19442 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hunt alone. You will like it better.

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Amen.

Posts: 7158 | Location: Snake River | Registered: 02 February 2004Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 500grains:
Hunt alone. You will like it better.

I am afraid I don't agree with you on this.

WE seem to get an awful lot more fun out of a group of hunters.

I just feel sorry for the PH who has to put up with everything that goes on in the camp roflmao

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68128 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of TheBigGuy
posted Hide Post
Thanks Ann, unfortunately a hunt 23rd April to 29th is not a possibility for me. Looks like a good deal though honestly.

Currently making such a trip alone for me is not an option. Though I have taken some trips in the past on my own. My situation has changed... I will leave it at that.

Hunting with a group when you can take over camp is something else. It can be fun indeed if you are all of similar temperment and mischeif. Booking a hunt with a group is often a logistics nightmare. Not the first disappointment like this I have had. But I must admit when it does all come together it is worth it.

Posts: 1282 | Registered: 17 September 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
TBG,

What are you looking to hunt next year? Just curious as I have a guy who has expressed interest but I doubt will have the fortitude to pull it off?

Posts: 103 | Location: IA | Registered: 08 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 470FAN
posted Hide Post
I ended up going to Tanzania in July 2003 alone. My partner backed out on me at the SCI convention. Traveling was long and lonely but the hunting was great.

Posts: 155 | Location: Susanville, CA | Registered: 23 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BigBullet
posted Hide Post
TBG,

My recommendation is to find something during the safari that the wife will likes, such as trinket shopping, National Park touring, elephant riding, etc and you are more likely to have a partner along on the hunting trips all the time. My wife doen't enjoy the hunting part, but enjoys the adventure of the journey and the new sights to be viewed.

BigBullet

BigBullet

"Half the FUN of the travel is the esthetic of LOSTNESS" Ray Bradbury
https://www.facebook.com/Natal...443607135825/?ref=hl

Posts: 1224 | Location: Lorraine, NY New York's little piece of frozen tundra | Registered: 05 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tonto
posted Hide Post
Go alone! I tried to get friends to go they always backed out. I said oh well went alone had the time of my life. Now everyone says I cant believe you go alone like that! I have asked the wife once but think it was best she stayed as when I hunt I like to hunt from dawn to dusk evryday. That doesnt leave much time for the wife.
Dean

Posts: 1057 | Location: adirondacks,NY ,USA | Registered: 30 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Africa is an adventure that is best shared!

I am so thankful that I took my wife, Peggy, with me.

When the DRSS gathers for one of our hunts, a grand time is had by all.

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If you go alone, then you will have a good companionship with your PH and probably make a life long friend, Lot of my clients like to hunt alone with Pierre and feel they get a better deal, which of course they do not, but a kinship usually results either way...

A Safari is a hunting trip and for hunters, it can be terribly boring for a non hunter in a tented Tanzania Safari, be forewarned...A non hunter should at least be a photographer or enjoy going along each day. There is a a lot to do an see before or after a Tanzanian safari.....

RSA is totally different because your non hunting companion can drive to town every day and see the sights....Lodge liveing is slightly more eligant that a tented safari,maybe,depends on the individual...

But be forewarned, know your spouse or non hunter because that can make or break YOUR hunt.

I found out a long time ago not to put two complete strangers together 2x1, on a hunt except in very rare circumstances where I know they will get along..I just won't hardly do that...1x1 and in the same camp maybe I will and maybe not, if I do it will be approached with caution...because in the end, right or wrong I will certainly be viewed as the bad guy but both if things go South.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42070 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
I usually hunt 1X1 and alone with no non hunting people in my camp! The best hunts, however are the 2X2 hunts with a friend, out of the same camp. I find that when a group of hunters jump a single animal they all start shooting. In this case I seldom fire a shot, and find it a draw back to the quality of any hunt!

The 2X1 hunt is a problem in the makeing IMO. This should only be done with two REAL friends of long time hunting experience, and rules about who is to shoot decided before the Bakki is cranked up for the first day of hunting!

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
BigGuy:
You just got lucky. I would never go with a group that big. My wife and I go alone each year, and would do it no other way.

Remember, forgivness is easier to get than permission.

Posts: 3994 | Location: Hudsonville MI USA | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Definately a matter of personal opinion, but I am not much of a "group" type fellow. I have 1 hunting partner, we schedule hunts together when they work into our specific agendas (we hunt asia together for ibex but are totally on different agendas in africa), when they don't I go by myself or with my lovely bride, who does enjoy hunting but isn't foaming at the mouth goofy about it like I am. Big Grin
I guess that is why there are different colors of pickups available at the dealership!
Mike

"Too lazy to work and too nervous to steal"

Posts: 201 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 25 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I enjoy both hunting with and without others. I am hunting Africa this summer with my dad, but we are heading out 1x1 with an PH. I live in Alaska and spend many days and nights by myself. I do enjoy having a good hunting partner, and all the partners I have are awesome, but there are sometimes when being out by yourself and putting on the stalk can't be beat.

Posts: 384 | Location: Tok, Alaska | Registered: 26 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have to chime in 1X1 is the only way to go. I develope a great relationship with the Ph and I always have a great time. I have been to Alaska and 4 trips to Africa all by myself and they were all great!!!!! I deal with a lot of employees and customers and family 24-7,My time alone on Safari each year is the only thing that keeps me sane.Dave

If your parents didn't have any children chances are you won't either.

Posts: 475 | Location: Davie Florida | Registered: 15 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My upcoming Zimbabwe hunt in May will be my first ever 1x1 big game hunt. I didn't plan to go 1x1, but I can't get any of my friends to spring for the dough (they've never been bitten by the Africa bug). My wife can't go on this one either (kids), besides, it's a tented safari in the deep bush on which she was more than willing to pass.

Guess I'll go eat worms all alone.

Posts: 1443 | Registered: 09 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hey GA,

whats the dates and the cost???
I may be interested in tagging along.

Posts: 584 | Location: Blue Island, IL | Registered: 05 January 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Interestingly enough I had the opposit problem and that was finding someone to go with me on a package I bid on from a SCI fundraiser. Long story short, last summer I bid on the 2 hunter 2 non hunter 10 day 6 animal SA safari that appeared on this board as a fundraiser for Low Country SCI. My bid was initially a lark because the bids were 1/2 of a wilderness elk hunt and I ended up with the winning bid. Told my wife after the fact, "honey, guess what we're doing next summer for a vacation. With a one year old daughter my wife decided they would stay home this time, but that latter on in life the two of them would take their own trip, sounded fair.
My offer to select friends was come along for free, already paid for,hunt or observe, your responsible for your own transportation and licences. Responses have ranged from expectations for help with transportation, supply of needed gear, split the licenses, to dictatiing time and itinerary. Too much of a headache trying to make sure someone else has fun on my dime.
Result is my 9 year old son and I are looking forward to a grand adventure together and my first african hunting trip.
Life sure is funny.
Mike

No matter what, always fly the plane

Posts: 17 | Location: Chicago, IL | Registered: 08 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
MDA, take your son and get'er done!!!! I took my daughter to Namibia for her graduation trip. Two weeks of fun and adventure. Offered he a trip to the Mediterranean but she wanted to go on safari. She shot a record book gemsbok and I shot the rest. Both had a great time. The wife was so jealous that she insisted on going along. It was great.

square shooter

Posts: 2608 | Location: Moore, Oklahoma, USA | Registered: 28 December 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
lb404,
That's exactly what we are doing, just my son and I, leaving July 7th from Atlanta and returning July 23rd. Last night we watched the video movie "In The Blood" to start the process for my son. The owner operators at Shiawela Safaris are thrilled to have him come along even though to this point all he has done is accompany me on bird hunts.
5 months and counting!
Mike

No matter what, always fly the plane

Posts: 17 | Location: Chicago, IL | Registered: 08 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
MDA

I wondered who outbid me for that hunt. I'm sure that you and your son will have a wonderful time. I took my two sons (they were a little older) and they both say that the trip was one of the highlights of their lives. Needless to say it was a highlight of mine.

TerryR

Posts: 1903 | Location: Greensburg, Pa. | Registered: 09 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Kyler Hamann
posted Hide Post
I went alone on my elephant hunt last year. Not the way it was planned but the way it ended up happening. I thought it was neat how the staff and two PHs (one was visiting our camp because his wife was the camp manager) seemed more at ease with just one hunter in camp. While they worked hard to keep me in the conversation, I enjoyed being a fly-on-the-wall and learning more about true daily life in Zim.

The traveling alone wasn't too bad either. It's MUCH easier to coordinate travel plans for ONE.

Having someone in my hemisphere to reminisce with about the hunt would have been really nice though.

Kyler

I'm so old that I still have some skills even without an internet connection or electricity.

Posts: 2507 | Location: Central Coast of CA | Registered: 10 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I hunted 1x1 with the addition of my videographer in Zimbabwe last June [2004]. I had a GREAT time. I am hunting 1x1 in March of 2006 with my videographer Ian Lewis www.safarivideos.com
I will NEVER hunt Africa without Ian doing the video.
While in the OMAY a couple of other PH's and their hunters were in my camp for a few days hunting buff then they moved to a different area to hunt plains game, and my crew spent a few nights in a nearby camp to shoot a cow elephant [and what ever else got in the way]. I REALLY enjoyed meeting and visiting with other PH,s and other hunters.
My trip with HHK was excellent.
I am much the richer for it.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Only went 2x1 one time 25-27 years ago, spent too much time making sure he got his monies worth since I set it up, never again for me. Only 1x1, I may learn slow, but I won't forget what is learned!

Posts: 1700 | Location: USA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
I almost always go 1x1...but then I am mean rotten and hateful and generally not a nice person

Mike

Never under estimate the internet community's ability to reply to your post with their personal rant about their tangentially related, single occurrence issue.

What I have learned on AR, since 2001:
1. The proper answer to: Where is the best place in town to get a steak dinner? is…You should go to Mel's Diner and get the fried chicken.
2. Big game animals can tell the difference between .015 of an inch in diameter, 15 grains of bullet weight, and 150 fps.
3. There is a difference in the performance of two identical projectiles launched at the same velocity if they came from different cartridges.
4. While a double rifle is the perfect DGR, every 375HH bolt gun needs to be modified to carry at least 5 down.
5. While a floor plate and detachable box magazine both use a mechanical latch, only the floor plate latch is reliable. Disregard the fact that every modern military rifle uses a detachable box magazine.
6. The Remington 700 is unreliable regardless of the fact it is the basis of the USMC M40 sniper rifle for 40+ years with no changes to the receiver or extractor and is the choice of more military and law enforcement sniper units than any other rifle.
7. PF actions are not suitable for a DGR and it is irrelevant that the M1, M14, M16, & AK47 which were designed for hunting men that can shoot back are all PF actions.
8. 95 deg F in Africa is different than 95 deg F in TX or CA and that is why you must worry about ammunition temperature in Africa (even though most safaris take place in winter) but not in TX or in CA.
9. The size of a ding in a gun's finish doesn't matter, what matters is whether it’s a safe ding or not.
10. 1 in a row is a trend, 2 in a row is statistically significant, and 3 in a row is an irrefutable fact.
11. Never buy a WSM or RCM cartridge for a safari rifle or your go to rifle in the USA because if they lose your ammo you can't find replacement ammo but don't worry 280 Rem, 338-06, 35 Whelen, and all Weatherby cartridges abound in Africa and back country stores.
12. A well hit animal can run 75 yds. in the open and suddenly drop with no initial blood trail, but the one I shot from 200 yds. away that ran 10 yds. and disappeared into a thicket and was not found was lost because the bullet penciled thru. I am 100% certain of this even though I have no physical evidence.
13. A 300 Win Mag is a 500 yard elk cartridge but a 308 Win is not a 300 yard elk cartridge even though the same bullet is travelling at the same velocity at those respective distances.

Posts: 10124 | Location: Loving retirement in Boise, ID | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of hhmag
posted Hide Post
Try this on for size, and you don't even need to own a Savage:

Hair, not Air!
Rob Martin

Posts: 395 | Location: Florida's Fabulous East Coast | Registered: 26 February 2004Reply With Quote