Find
Notify
Tools

A new toy
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
A new toy...

Action is left-hand Montana 1999 stainless.

The three barrels are Shilen select match grade in 458 Lott, 375 H&H, and 300 Weatherby. The 458 and 375 are 26-inch long and the 300 is 28-inch.

Scope is Leupold 2 1/2 power in Leupold quick detach mounts. There are other scopes preset in Leupold rings for swapping.

Magazine is Jim Brockman's model with a total five shot capacity. Original floorplate and magazine can be swapped out in minutes.

Trigger is set at 2 1/2 pounds.

Stock is McMillan with added lead in butt stock. Total rifle weight with scope is an intentional 11 pounds with the 458 barrel, slightly more with others.

John Kontes put it all together.

Hammer

Posts: 1003 | Registered: 01 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JefferyDenmark
posted Hide Post
Great working rifle and good calibers too.
Congratulations.
The ultimate left hand mauser action thumb

Cheers,

André

Always always use enough... GUN & KNIFE

Posts: 2293 | Location: The Kingdom of Denmark | Registered: 13 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JefferyDenmark:
Great working rifle and good calibers too.
Congratulations.
The ultimate left hand mauser action thumb

Cheers,

André

Impressive Rig for sure !!

Posts: 7505 | Location: Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of almostacowboy
posted Hide Post
Veerrrry nice, Hammer thumb

Hey, do you get to take all 3 barrels and only pay one import license? Inquiring minds want to know!

DAve

"What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives every thing its value."
-Thomas Paine, "American Crisis"

Posts: 816 | Location: Llano, CA Mojave Desert | Registered: 30 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NitroX
posted Hide Post
Now that's a different one ...

How do you change the barrels?

John H.

NitroExpress.com - the net's double rifle forum

Posts: 10138 | Location: Wine Country, Barossa Valley, Australia | Registered: 06 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Very Nice!

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of steve65
posted Hide Post
nice man

Posts: 125 | Location: malmsbury,vic,australia | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the kind words. Appreciate it.

To almostacowboy...

Don't have the facts on import license issues, but folks who have taken shotguns with extra barrel sets tell me there is only one permit for the whole gun system. Folks who have taken multi-barrel systems like Blaser or John Dustin rifles tell me the same thing. John Dustin travels to Africa every year with a multi-barrel rifle with no problems. But I have not personally had this checked by legal counsel.

To NitroX...

Barrel changing is easy, but would not be done during a charge or as quickly as grabbing another golf club from a bag (not ever having played golf, this is a guess on my part).

Barrels are fitted so removal and return are easy. A lightweight fixture that will fit in any vise holds the barrel. All the African camps that I have been in have had something suitable, even carry something in the truck. A lightweight action wrench turns the action off and on. Do not need any gauges for reset as there are marks on the barrel and action. Little muscle required.

And, no, the barrel will not work itself loose by firing. There is no detectable movement at all, but if there was, it would be a tightening effect.

And tests so far indicate scope resetting satisfactory. In fact, shipping with the scope removed has its merits.

Hammer

Posts: 1003 | Registered: 01 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Very nice!

"Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life." Terry Pratchett.

Posts: 3517 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 25 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of almostacowboy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hammer:

Don't have the facts on import license issues, but folks who have taken shotguns with extra barrel sets tell me there is only one permit for the whole gun system. Folks who have taken multi-barrel systems like Blaser or John Dustin rifles tell me the same thing. John Dustin travels to Africa every year with a multi-barrel rifle with no problems. But I have not personally had this checked by legal counsel.

Hammer

That is just too cool! Cool

Dave

"What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives every thing its value."
-Thomas Paine, "American Crisis"

Posts: 816 | Location: Llano, CA Mojave Desert | Registered: 30 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hammer
Nice looking system.
I recommend you get a scope for each barrel.
Maybe a scope with an illuminated reticle for the 375, good for lion or leopard over bait, bears and pigs too. Big Grin And a proper scope for longer distance shooting with the 300.
I always carry a Leupold bore sighter with my scoped rifles so I can check the scope alignment from time to time without shooting and when taking the scope on and off.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote