Find
Notify
Tools

GPS downloads for Zimbabwe
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of JudgeG
posted
I have a Garmin GPS and I'm looking for the best method to get map info for Zimbabwe. I'm technically challenged, but I've been able to find an buy a mini-SD card for my unit that gives me all kinds of info for my canoe and kayak trips here in South Georgia.

Does anyone know a source of mini-SD cards for Zimbabwe or have one for sale. I went on the Garmin site and I think you have to download their stuff (and don't know if it is detailed enough?). I know I can just pop in the card in my GPS...

BTW, I'll be using it on Lake Kariba and at Chete this fall and next year at Matetsi, most probably.

JudgeG ... just counting time 'til I am again finding balm in Gilead chilled out somewhere in the Selous.

Posts: 7711 | Location: GA | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You are quite the techie!

Posts: 20165 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
Ernest

Depending on the model it is, you can probably go to the Garmin website, plug your GPS into your computer and download the data you need.

Of course, at a cost. Wink

One of Us
Picture of Tim Herald
posted Hide Post
Judge...I bought the "World" chip for mine. It seems to have all teh major roads, rivers, lakes, and towns/villages in Zim, but nothing as detailed as what we will get for the US. I think it retails for about $120. I bought mine new on ebay for $40...

Good Hunting,

Tim Herald
Worldwide Trophy Adventures
tim@trophyadventures.com

Posts: 2981 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: 13 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of tanz2007
posted Hide Post
Judge, Tracks4Africa has some very detailed, routeable maps for most of Africa. Go to their website and follow the instructions there and you should be able to download maps for Zim or all of Africa. If I remember correctly I bought and downloaded all the maps for Africa they had for around $80. Good luck....

http://www.t4a.co.za/t4a_gps_maps.asp

Just checked their site, they do have the SD cards as well but it will be shipped from South Africa....

Posts: 171 | Location: Homer, Alaska | Registered: 14 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
GARMAP Africa series 2010 has everything you want.