New
Find
Notify
Tools

SCI E BLAST
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
For you SCI members, the SCI president just sent out an eblast to its members. Expecting more, I opened the email and found a glitsy "good hunting this Fall" message.

I sent a reply asking for some proactive leadership position on the OOA mess.

I suggest all members do the same....if anything it will clog up their servers.

Bob

DRSS
DSC
SCI
NRA & ISRA

Posts: 551 | Location: Northern Illinois,US | Registered: 13 May 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of nomrcy
posted Hide Post
I thought the same thing. What a laughable disappointment!

Trophies are not dead animals...they are living memories.

Posts: 217 | Location: Fargo, North Dakota | Registered: 24 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
I realise that there is a strong Republican representation in AR and other gun / hunting sites. May be they should write to their Congressmen and put pressure on SCI behind the scene to protect the interest of all hunters. The longer that SCI keeps silent on the matter, the worse it is going to look.

"When the wind stops....start rowing. When the wind starts, get the sail up quick."

Posts: 11020 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of peterdk
posted Hide Post
naki

i am not sure involving politicians is a very good idea, in my expirence that never had a good outcome.

best

peter

Posts: 1336 | Location: denmark | Registered: 01 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of PSmith
posted Hide Post
Agreed.

Also, our Congress is not in session right now, and all Congressmen and Senators from both parties are concerned this month with one thing only, the elections on November 2.

Paul Smith
SCI Life Member
NRA Life Member
DSC Member
Life Member of the "I Can't Wait to Get Back to Africa" Club
DRSS
I had the privilege to fire E. Hemingway's WR .577NE, E. Keith's WR .470NE, & F. Jamieson's WJJ .500 Jeffery
I strongly recommend avoidance of "The Zambezi Safari & Travel Co., Ltd." and "Pisces Sportfishing-Cabo San Lucas"

"A failed policy of national defense is its own punishment" Otto von Bismarck

Posts: 2545 | Location: The 'Ham | Registered: 25 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of twoseventy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PSmith:
Agreed.

Also, our Congress is not in session right now, and all Congressmen and Senators from both parties are concerned this month with one thing only, the elections on November 2.

True.

That is all they ever think about. Thjey are not concerned with us. They are concerned with themselves.

...I say that hunters go into Paradise when they die, and live in this world more joyfully than any other men.
-Edward, duke of York

". . . when a man has shot an elephant his life is full." ~John Alfred Jordan

"The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance." Cicero - 55 BC

"The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." - Ayn Rand

Cogito ergo venor- KPete

“It is not from the benevolence of the butcher, the brewer, or the baker, that we expect our dinner, but from their regard to their own self-interest. We address ourselves, not to their humanity but to their self-love, and never talk to them of our own necessities but of their advantages.”
― Adam Smith - “Wealth of Nations”

Posts: 985 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 12 June 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Now is the perfect time to affect them.
They need to know their record is being scrutinized.
Frank

Posts: 6935 | Location: hydesville, ca. , USA | Registered: 17 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nakihunter:
I realise that there is a strong Republican representation in AR and other gun / hunting sites. May be they should write to their Congressmen and put pressure on SCI behind the scene to protect the interest of all hunters. The longer that SCI keeps silent on the matter, the worse it is going to look.

WRONG! I think that hunters need to take our own actions with regard to any sins of SCI. The last thing we want is to place a very large, very visible, hunting organization in the dock for Congress to hold hearings on and for anti-hunting groups to exploit as being typical of the whole community of hunters.

Naki is from New Zealand, where they turn nearly everything over to the government. We have a Bill of Rights which provides that our citizens can do otherwise. Now, we need to determine what we can do with regard to SCI's involvement, if any exists, with this incredible criminal morass.

Posts: 150 | Location: Blanco Co., TX | Registered: 16 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
WRONG! I think that hunters need to take our own actions with regard to any sins of SCI. The last thing we want is to place a very large, very visible, hunting organization in the dock for Congress to hold hearings on and for anti-hunting groups to exploit as being typical of the whole community of hunters.

You are right on....getting this into political play will not help us.
THE SCI HAS TO CLEAN ITS HOUSE !!!

Bob

DRSS
DSC
SCI
NRA & ISRA

Posts: 551 | Location: Northern Illinois,US | Registered: 13 May 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The most complete solution is to vote with our checkbooks. If you believe that SCI has been conniving with the OOA jerks, write a letter and terminate your membership. People in your local chapter will argue, truthfully, that they have nothing to do with OOA and your resignation hurts your local chapter, but the vital bigger issue is the national organization and it officers and directors. It is they whose actions (and inaction towards flagrant wrongdoing), thus far paint all of the hunting community as poachers and thieves.

A huge loss in dues revenue speaks loudly. The organization can reorganize and follow its admirable guiding principles after the currently apparent corruption is purged.

I once belonged to SCI, but decided that sashes and achievement pins are best worn by Girl Scouts. Others will differ, I am sure. It's a free country.

Posts: 150 | Location: Blanco Co., TX | Registered: 16 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just got the following from SCI

quote:
Arrested Poaching Gang

“Dawie Groenewald, owner of Out of Africa Adventure Safaris company, and his wife, Sariette, were arrested on Monday in South Africa, for allegedly being the masterminds behind an illegal rhino poaching gang. Nine other people, including veterinarians and hunters, were also arrested for poaching. The gang appeared before a magistrate in South Africa on Wednesday, which is ironically also the day declared International Rhino Day by the World Wildlife Fund (WWF). The case was postponed until April 11, 2011, after Groenewald reportedly posted bail of about one million rand, with the others paying less.” (Source: AllAfrica.com) http://bit.ly/cVOsYN.

· The arrest of Dawie Groenewald in the USA in January 2010 and the subsequent conviction in a U.S. court could have led to an internal SCI Ethics Investigation and subsequent expulsion from SCI. Both brothers resigned from SCI before SCI could investigate their conduct. Additionally, Out of Africa Adventurous Safaris has officially been denied entrance at all future Safari Club International Conventions in the USA.

Good Hunting,

Posts: 3143 | Location: Duluth, GA | Registered: 30 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by blanco county:
quote:
Originally posted by Nakihunter:

Naki is from New Zealand, where they turn nearly everything over to the government. We have a Bill of Rights which provides that our citizens can do otherwise. Now, we need to determine what we can do with regard to SCI's involvement, if any exists, with this incredible criminal morass.

Yes I am from NZ but I am also well educated and even did a course on the US constitution when I did my degree....some of you American friends need to be bit more aware of the 95% of the world outside the US!

Back to the point - politics and behind the scene maneuvers are pretty standard anywhere in the world. You don't need to ask the govt to get involved. THEY WILL GET INVOLVED SOON. This scandal is too big to escape the issues at a federal level.

What the US citizens could do is to have some really influential people put pressure on the top brass of SCI. GWB & his dad were big with NRA. Do they have influence in SCI? How about getting the NRA to do some squeezing behind the scenes? Gun rights and hunting rights go together in a lot of areas. I am sure that the top Republicans can get Kevin Andersen's nuts squeezed pretty quick. This is about influence and not about govt / congress.

"When the wind stops....start rowing. When the wind starts, get the sail up quick."

Posts: 11020 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
· The arrest of Dawie Groenewald in the USA in January 2010 and the subsequent conviction in a U.S. court could have led to an internal SCI Ethics Investigation and subsequent expulsion from SCI. Both brothers resigned from SCI before SCI could investigate their conduct. Additionally, Out of Africa Adventurous Safaris has officially been denied entrance at all future Safari Club International Conventions in the USA.

Well, just went to the SCI website and OOA is still listed as an exhibitor for the Jan convention !!

The SCI "leaders" are acting like a bush league outfit.....maybe the SCI president forgot to tell the convention committee. Or the committee chair said bullshit.

Bob

DRSS
DSC
SCI
NRA & ISRA

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I used to be a SCI member. I didn't renew a few years back. I stiil get e-mail from them. I just got an e-mail from the "president" of SCI. I responded with" As long as you continue supporting Out of Africa I'll have nothing to do with SCI"

I guess I spoke with my cheque book.

Hunting is not a matter of life or death....It's much more important

Posts: 338 | Location: Abbotsford BC | Registered: 20 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Whenever someone gets caught with their finger in the pie they always have a excuse. Like i am sorry can you forgive me THIS time.In the service we had a saying. EXCUSES ARE LIKE ASSHOLES,EVERYONE HAS ONE. Close up your check books.They will clean their bedrooms mighty fast.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bobgrow:
[QUOTE]· ...Well, just went to the SCI website and OOA is still listed as an exhibitor for the Jan convention !!

The SCI "leaders" are acting like a bush league outfit.....maybe the SCI president forgot to tell the convention committee. Or the committee chair said bullshit.

bobgrow,

Can you help me find Out of Africa listed as an exhibitor?

They were removed after the arrests in the US many months ago and have not returned, they are also not listed on the ranking placement list where they previously were in the top 10 or so.

I can't see them included anywhere.

Les

Posts: 1261 | Location: Clearwater, FL and Union Pier, MI | Registered: 24 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
bobgrow,

Can you help me find Out of Africa listed as an exhibitor

Les....sorry for the delay....go to SCI homepage,click Conventions/Events, click Convention,click Show Info,click Exhibitor List, scroll down to OOA.....its still there !!

Bob

DRSS
DSC
SCI
NRA & ISRA

one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bobgrow:
quote:
bobgrow,

Can you help me find Out of Africa listed as an exhibitor

Les....sorry for the delay....go to SCI homepage,click Conventions/Events, click Convention,click Show Info,click Exhibitor List, scroll down to OOA.....its still there !!

Actually, I think you'll find it's a different company. http://www.outofafricainmontana.com/ jumping

One of Us
posted Hide Post
"Actually, I think you'll find it's a different company." Wow, how discouraging, now the detractors won't have another reason/Company to rag on!! Shucks, just when you thought you had come up with something else to whine about. Big Grin

Larry Sellers
SCI Life Member

Posts: 3460 | Location: Jemez Mountains, New Mexico | Registered: 09 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Actually, I think you'll find it's a different company. http://www.outofafricainmontana.com/

I stand corrected.
Bob

Bob

DRSS
DSC
SCI
NRA & ISRA