THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    Cape Buffalo With Black Powder.-What to use?

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Cape Buffalo With Black Powder.-What to use?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Yesterday I was talking to a guy who wanted to take a Cape Buffalo with a black powder rifle. I was at a loss to suggest any modern muzzle loader. I can't think of anything big enough for me. An 8 bore would be my starting spot and I'd want a double to boot. I don't know of anyone making such these days.
Anybody got any suggestions? I know someboday here has done it.

Posts: 1275 | Location: Fla | Registered: 16 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tonto
posted Hide Post
I saw a show on OLN where a guy took one with a muzzle loading kodiak double. I dont know if it was the 58 or 72 calb.
Dean

Posts: 1057 | Location: adirondacks,NY ,USA | Registered: 30 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
Jim Shockey used an inline saw it on the outdoor channel...I would say it would have to be a magnum model and with super hard bullet for penetration...Pray he runs away with the shot...Or also have yourself a backup big boomer and your Ph will be there also..

Mike

Posts: 6768 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
Quote:

I saw a show on OLN where a guy took one with a muzzle loading kodiak double. I dont know if it was the 58 or 72 calb.
Dean

The S/S KODIAK front loading double by Pedersoli, is a caplock double, .72 cal (12 bore) is the only USABLE front loader I would consider, and then with a very heavy load of 135 grs of fffg black behind a hardened patched ball of around 500 grs, for about 1300 fps, about all you will get with a muzzelloader, but a ball that big doesn't need much velocity. Almost 3/4" in diameter, it packs some punch at fairly low speed, and doesn't need to expand, so can be made fairly hard. The double is the only way I'd use a frontstuffer, for buffalo, and then only with a big modern rifle as back-up!

The in-lines are not what I consider to be a muzzleloader, in the traditional sense, and if one is useing a scoped in-line, he may as well use a modern single shot, because they are both the same for all practical purposes, and you don't need to worry about importing BLACK POWDER on a passenger plane, as it is a restricted artical. One must get close to a Buffalo, for him to be considered a dangerous animal, so a muzzle is no more drawback than a modern singleshot, as long as the frontstuffer is large enough in caliber.

The pedersoli .72 cal double rifle is about the only one that makes sense to me, but any muzzleloader is a stunt, at best, IMO!

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Russell E. Taylor
posted Hide Post
Quote:

The pedersoli .72 cal double rifle is about the only one that makes sense to me, but any muzzleloader is a stunt, at best, IMO!

Ditto, ditto, and ditto!

When I go to Africa, my three flintlocks will stay home.

Russ

Posts: 2982 | Location: Silvis, IL | Registered: 12 May 2001Reply With Quote