Find
Notify
Tools

Mark Watts - Drama Queen?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted
I have read his latest article and was surprised at how much of it was devoted to his difficulties with his PH. If I recall correctly, doesn't he have problems with every PH he hunts with?

What is that all about?

~Ann

Posts: 19551 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
Ann,

Is this report available on the Net?

If so, can we have a link to it please?

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68668 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
Saeed it is in the new SCI magazine with the bull ele on front cover..

Mike

Michael Podwika... DRSS bigbores and hunting www.pvt.co.za " MAKE THE SHOT " 450#2 Famars

Posts: 6768 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cazador humilde
posted Hide Post
I heard a little bit of the other side. Seems he thought the camp should have been arranged more democratically, give more power and say so to the staff, trackers, skinners, etc.
Yeah, that'll work. But, apparently at the end he tipped like the king of Siam.

That story was a riot!

Posts: 1278 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 31 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
Ann, you nailed it and there were a lot more issues there that were not discussed but most will be able to discern. jorge

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
Cogswell & Harrison 375 Fl NE
Sabatti Big Five 375 FL Magnum NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7149 | Location: Orange Park, Florida. USA | Registered: 22 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
Drama queen about says it - from what I can tell, he's a frustrated, wannabe movie star who is starved for attention.

He has made his hunting trips into competitive, commercial endeavors. The facts and straight reporting are not enough for that. So, he injects supposed emotional conflict - makes it into a soap opera.

Much the same as what's his name, "let them choose how they are to die," Mark Sullivan - except that Sullivan gives human emotions to buffalo and hippo.

Maybe they can team up. Instead of "Fire and Ice," they could call their safari film "Fool and Ass."

God save us all from so-called "celebrities" and their endless emotional and other insecurities.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13623 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I didn't get the whole 'Fire & Ice' thing either.

Just what was the problem between them, and if there was a clash in personality's, why does Marc hunt continue to book with a PH he doesn't see eye to eye with??

I don't get it.

Posts: 6080 | Location: New York City "The Concrete Jungle" | Registered: 04 May 2003Reply With Quote
Picture of Canuck
posted Hide Post
quote:
Drama queen about says it - from what I can tell, he's a frustrated, wannabe movie star who is starved for attention.

I've only watched "Perfectly Shot Tanzania" or whatever it was called....my impression was exactly as above. The guy is all about "look at me, aren't I wonderful".

I think he should hunt with Mark Sullivan. If they don't have a massive blowup (like one would expect from 2 "alpha" males - using the term loosely, but I am sure they each consider themselves to be so), they would probably get along like gangbusters. Either way, thats probably the only time I would consider buying another one of either of their videos...curiousity would get the better of me. Big Grin

Cheers,
Canuck

Posts: 7122 | Location: The Rock (southern V.I.) | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Why does he need a PH to begin with? With his ability to orchestrate percect camp harmony, lead is crew, make the perfect shot and "correspond" with the animals why bother? He is in fact a tool.

Jeff

Posts: 2857 | Location: FL | Registered: 18 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
MR, I'm still rolling with laughter!!! lol
quote:
Originally posted by mrlexma:

He has made his hunting trips into competitive, commercial endeavors. The facts and straight reporting are not enough for that. So, he injects supposed emotional conflict - makes it into a soap opera.

Much the same as what's his name, "let them choose how they are to die," Mark Sullivan - except that Sullivan gives human emotions to buffalo and hippo.

Maybe they can team up. Instead of "Fire and Ice," they could call their safari film "Fool and Ass."

God save us all from so-called "celebrities" and their endless emotional and other insecurities.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Damn, after reading this string I had to read the article. I had never read any of his articles or watched any of his videos and now I wish my string had never been broken. What a waste and I don't blame it on SCI for publishing the article. Smiler

Posts: 5338 | Location: Bedford, Pa. USA | Registered: 23 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
I, unfortunately, baught both of his first two videos at one time, at the DSC show a couple years ago, and that is a mistake I'll not repeat! Who ever said Mark W, and Mark S would get along just fine, may be a little delusional, because MS couldn't stand all of MW’s ONE SHOT KILLS, and they would have a shoot-out to see who got to shoot all the buffalo! Roll Eyes
.......................... thumbdown

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Canuck:
quote:

I've only watched "Perfectly Shot Tanzania" or whatever it was called....my impression was exactly as above. The guy is all about "look at me, aren't I wonderful".

I think he should hunt with Mark Sullivan. If they don't have a massive blowup (like one would expect from 2 "alpha" males - using the term loosely, but I am sure they each consider themselves to be so), they would probably get along like gangbusters. Either way, thats probably the only time I would consider buying another one of either of their videos...curiousity would get the better of me. Big Grin

Cheers,
Canuck

Big Grin

Cunning plan, Canuck! clap

Verbera!, Iugula!, Iugula!!!

Blair.

Posts: 8808 | Location: Sydney, Australia. | Registered: 21 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by msc:
MR, I'm still rolling with laughter!!! lol
quote:
Originally posted by mrlexma:

+1 lol

Blair.

Posts: 8808 | Location: Sydney, Australia. | Registered: 21 March 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of graybird
posted Hide Post
I too didn't understand his motive behind the article.

Graybird

"Make no mistake, it's not revenge he's after ... it's the reckoning."

Posts: 3722 | Location: Okie in Falcon, CO | Registered: 01 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Woodmnctry
posted Hide Post
Dang!---- I unfortunately tossed that issue in the process of moving my office!!--UGH!
G

OMG!-- my bow is "pull-push feed" - how dreadfully embarrasing!!!!!

Posts: 932 | Location: 8K Ft in Colorado | Registered: 10 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
the very title of his first few videos should tell you all you need to know about his ego. and if any doubt about said ego lingered in your mind, the SCI article would definitely erased those doubts.

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13395 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
I was going to find my Safari magazine and read it.

Now I think I will pass.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68668 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Me, too.

Posts: 11729 | Location: Florida | Registered: 25 October 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I enjoyed Marc Watts videos until the "Fire and Ice" crybaby stuff. Pitiful big baby Marc.

Posts: 28032 | Location: KY | Registered: 09 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Why would they print stories by Marc? It's just dribble! Another whiner and pacifier. Get him out of there!

"shoot quick but take your time"

Posts: 451 | Location: drummond island MI USA | Registered: 03 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Didn't he hunt with Peter Chipman and also have 'issues'? His experiences seem so unpleasant I wonder why he even bothers to go hunting.

Saeed, maybe you could have Walter read the article and see what his take is?

~Ann

Posts: 19551 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Aspen Hill Adventures:
Didn't he hunt with Peter Chipman and also have 'issues'? His experiences seem so unpleasant I wonder why he even bothers to go hunting.

Cunning plan with Walter, Ann thumb Big Grin

Blair.

One of Us
Picture of D99
posted Hide Post
He post on here occasionally, maybe he will read this and tone down his next DVDs.

I won't buy another one unless he does one on Central Africa. The YO one is fantastic!

Posts: 4729 | Location: Australia | Registered: 06 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hi guys and Ann. This is Marc. The negative tone regarding some of the posts on this board is astounding sometimes. I could easily take the cheap way out and say these comments are not worth dignifying, but as a media professional I'm a strong proponent of the first ammendment believing everyone is entitled to his and her opinion. So I'll address some of the louder points.

1) Fire & Ice was a reference to the overall tone of the safari. In the end it worked out well for Andrew and I and we're both on record stating that. We both worked through our differences and in the process enjoyed a wonderful safari. All safaris are not just bang, bang bang, body count, instant rewards. Cultural exchanges and relationships are built throughout the process, and that was the essence of the story.

2) The safari was postive for both of us. There's no bitterness today and the conflict was not manufactured to hype the video. It is a realistic portrayal of exactly what unfolded.

3) I admit in the story I'm a slightly different kind of guy for a PH to hunt with and all eighteen of my safaris have been 100% pleasurable and successful.

4) I'm not a wannabe actor. I've enjoyed a successful media career yes, but have spoken out against staging, re-creations and foney re-enactments (i.e. jabbing animals with gun barrels knowing the animal is already dead, fake pointing and bino viewing and fake whispering to hype hunting drama. That's acting which in the hunting world is wrong.) What I write and produce is realistic Africa exactly as it confronts this hunter. I've never cut a single deal with any PH to state otherwise.

5) Peter Chipman and I were never locked in any sort of conflict. For anyone to suggest that is a flat out clear distortion of the facts. And when lies are written on this board, as hunters we've done ourself all a disservice.

6) MS and I have talked about hunting together on video. Stay tuned. He won't be doing much shooting though!

I may have missed some of the other points, but the above statements are responses to the "loudest" posts. I'll stack my commitment to Africa, positive portrayals in the safari world and ethical/realistic hunting up against anybody's in the industry. Those who make statements to the contrary are simply ranting, guessing, jumping on somebody's negative bandwagon and have not been exposed to my body of work.

I would not have been able to enjoy the safari success that I have if I were a Drama Queen. If anyone wants to chat with me feel free to come visit my booth in Reno. Call my mobile (773) 848-1957 or office (312) 226 4047, anytime. I am completely open about anything regarding my hunting; perception, misunderstandings or reality.

As I've stated before on this board, we have enough enemies from the other side. Post such as the above do a good job of also cultivating enemies within.

See ya in Reno and happy hunting,
Marc Watts

Posts: 636 | Location: The Hills | Registered: 24 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
6) MS and I have talked about hunting together on video. Stay tuned. He won't be doing much shooting though!

HOLY SMOKES!

Will it be possible to get both of your heads in one shot? Big Grin

We do indeed have more than enough adversaries who want nothing more than to ban all hunting. And unfortunately, the hunting tradition is not being passed on as it was when we were younger. Let us not forget that there is another generation of young hunters whose curiousity leads them to this site and others like it. For me, I would trade all of my past hunts and all of those in my future to insure that the hunting tradition is embraced by the next generation.

My take on the article - I read it this AM, and there was a little drama there. There were a couple of times where I was wondering where the love was. The "lessons learned" I took away from it was the importance of the fit with the PH, and not to let a perceived conflict get in the way of a successful safari. Most of us spend a lot of time selecting just the right rifle and reloading our own ammunition, but the PH part of the equation sometimes is overlooked.

With all of that said, this IS Accurate Reloading, and there is no shortage of opinion here. No one is immune from criticism (most of us have the scars to prove it!). And when you put yourself in the public eye, you tend to draw more than the usual amount of "critical introspection".

Happy hunting and best of luck.

SCI Life Member
DSC Life Member

Posts: 2018 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 20 May 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Kyler Hamann
posted Hide Post
I may have read an article or two by Marc, but I don't recall seeing any of the videos so maybe he's quite different on tape.

BUT I happened to be randomly squadded with him a few years ago for several days of sporting clays competition. I felt he was quite a gentleman and generally a pleasure to be around.

He has a point too about sticking together to save our hunting and gun rights.

Often I get the impression that people ONLY watch the hunting videos/TV shows and read the articles/books to have something to complain about. If you listen in the hunting fields, at the shooting ranges and monitor shooting/hunting forums there's an amazingly biased ratio of us bashing our OWN compared to the antis (the TRUE enemy).

Kyler

I'm so old that I still have some skills even without an internet connection or electricity.

Posts: 2507 | Location: Central Coast of CA | Registered: 10 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My conversations with Marc have been very pleasant. I think he would be an interesting person to have in camp and visit with. No matter what you think, the man takes his hunting seriously and knows where to place his shots. He also shows his misses so kudos for that.

If his style of hunt video turns you off then don't watch it. You need to keep in mind that his career is media based and this is what he does. I enjoy seeing videos that are produced and engineered well, which isn't all that common in hunting videos. We're all so used to seeing 1/2 crappy videos that when something like Boddington's and Watt's videos turn up everyone complains about how "commercial" they are. Think about it...

Posts: 4168 | Location: Texas | Registered: 18 June 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Ahmed Sultan
posted Hide Post
quote:
the man takes his hunting seriously and knows where to place his shots.

Most of the "hunters" that go to Africa do that. Nothing to brag about one shot kills on African game.

Ahmed Sultan

one of us
posted Hide Post
I don't think Marc's shooting skills are common at all. He's definitely better than average and in better shape too. Again, not every shot but quite a few of them are just superb.

Posts: 4168 | Location: Texas | Registered: 18 June 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Ahmed Sultan
posted Hide Post
Yukon I admit that I don't know about common shooting skills in your area. But in our area there is alot of mountain hunting and 300 yard shots on ibex and urial are normal and taken by hunters with average shooting skills. Perhaps that is why I don’t think that normal shots i.e. 125 yards on African game (which is much larger) require that much of shooting skills.

When I was in Tajikistan a hunter from Canada Shot his MP from a distance above 800 Yards that in my book is above average and not common shooting skills.

Ahmed Sultan

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Aspen Hill Adventures:

Ann,
This Chipman "conjecture" seems to be the only thing on this thread that was baseless.
What do you know that the rest of us don't know.

Marc,
Now you know we don't like the soap opera stuff.
I've got all your videos except the latest. I'll get that one now, and enjoy it I hope, with no whining.

Good hunting, Bwana Moja.

Posts: 28032 | Location: KY | Registered: 09 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of G L Krause
posted Hide Post
Marc, If you are following this thread, I have three of your videos and love the production quality of all of them. However, I have never been too keen on your over-emphasis on the shot placement when killing these magnificent animals. I personally find it a bit distasteful to see you approach a beautiful trophy and hear the first thing that you say to be something like "Roll him over and lets look at that shot".

That being said, I give you the utmost credit and respect for answering these comments in a reasoned and unspiteful way, especially considering some of the nasty slurs that have been posted here. We can all disagree, but there's no need for all the name calling between brother hunters. Good luck in your future hunts.

"I envy not him that eats better meat than I do; nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do; I envy him, and him only, that kills bigger deer than I do." Izaak Walton (modified)

One of Us
Picture of D99
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ahmed Sultan:
Yukon I admit that I don't know about common shooting skills in your area. But in our area there is alot of mountain hunting and 300 yard shots on ibex and urial are normal and taken by hunters with average shooting skills. Perhaps that is why I don’t think that normal shots i.e. 125 yards on African game (which is much larger) require that much of shooting skills.

When I was in Tajikistan a hunter from Canada Shot his MP from a distance above 800 Yards that in my book is above average and not common shooting skills.

800 yards is a long ways to be shooting, especially on a $35,000 hunting trophy.

Posts: 4729 | Location: Australia | Registered: 06 February 2005Reply With Quote
Picture of Canuck
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SableTrail:
Hi guys and Ann. This is Marc. The negative tone regarding some of the posts on this board is astounding sometimes. I could easily take the cheap way out and say these comments are not worth dignifying, but as a media professional I'm a strong proponent of the first ammendment believing everyone is entitled to his and her opinion. So I'll address some of the louder points.

1) Fire & Ice was a reference to the overall tone of the safari. In the end it worked out well for Andrew and I and we're both on record stating that. We both worked through our differences and in the process enjoyed a wonderful safari. All safaris are not just bang, bang bang, body count, instant rewards. Cultural exchanges and relationships are built throughout the process, and that was the essence of the story.

2) The safari was postive for both of us. There's no bitterness today and the conflict was not manufactured to hype the video. It is a realistic portrayal of exactly what unfolded.

3) I admit in the story I'm a slightly different kind of guy for a PH to hunt with and all eighteen of my safaris have been 100% pleasurable and successful.

4) I'm not a wannabe actor. I've enjoyed a successful media career yes, but have spoken out against staging, re-creations and foney re-enactments (i.e. jabbing animals with gun barrels knowing the animal is already dead, fake pointing and bino viewing and fake whispering to hype hunting drama. That's acting which in the hunting world is wrong.) What I write and produce is realistic Africa exactly as it confronts this hunter. I've never cut a single deal with any PH to state otherwise.

5) Peter Chipman and I were never locked in any sort of conflict. For anyone to suggest that is a flat out clear distortion of the facts. And when lies are written on this board, as hunters we've done ourself all a disservice.

I may have missed some of the other points, but the above statements are responses to the "loudest" posts. I'll stack my commitment to Africa, positive portrayals in the safari world and ethical/realistic hunting up against anybody's in the industry. Those who make statements to the contrary are simply ranting, guessing, jumping on somebody's negative bandwagon and have not been exposed to my body of work.

I would not have been able to enjoy the safari success that I have if I were a Drama Queen. If anyone wants to chat with me feel free to come visit my booth in Reno. Call my mobile (773) 848-1957 or office (312) 226 4047, anytime. I am completely open about anything regarding my hunting; perception, misunderstandings or reality.

As I've stated before on this board, we have enough enemies from the other side. Post such as the above do a good job of also cultivating enemies within.

See ya in Reno and happy hunting,
Marc Watts

Marc,

Enjoyed your post, much more than the video. I do not mean that as a shot, but as a compliment, as you already know what I thought of the video based on my post above.

Anyway, thanks for taking the time to respond, thoughtfully and articulately. If I am ever in your company, I'd be glad to buy you a refreshment and explain what I dislike (and like...I didn't think it was all bad) about the videos, or just shoot the breeze about hunting and shooting.

And if you do hunt with Mark Sullivan and make a video, I'll stand by my word and buy it. Smiler It will be the only Mark Sullivan video I ever buy again, but I might be more forgiving with yours based on your post above. Without the context, all we have is what we percieve...

Cheers,
Chris

Posts: 7122 | Location: The Rock (southern V.I.) | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
This forum and the hunting fraternity are like a family, siblings can knock the snot out of each other but let an outsider step in or say anything derogitory and they have the whole family to contend with, JMO.

Posts: 5338 | Location: Bedford, Pa. USA | Registered: 23 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
popcorn

Posts: 1339 | Registered: 17 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hey I love all you guys and don't take any of the insults personally. (Just hate 'em when my son sees 'em.) But he's got big shoulders and his dad has been in the public eye from the moment he came into this world. So he's getting used to it.

Like Die said, we are a fraternity and I know I could count on any one of you if a wounded buff was charging me and I was all out of bullets.

Let's sew this one up here cuz I gotta a plane to catch to Reno. Now let's move on to some of the more important hunting matters of the day, such as whether Craig got married!

Cheers,
Moja

Posts: 636 | Location: The Hills | Registered: 24 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
Marc, if you came across half as well in your videos as you have in this thread, they would definitely sell better and you would have fewer, if any, critics in the hunting fraternity, myself included.

IMHO only, of course.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13623 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Marc,

Thanks for your detailed email, I really appreciate your time. To all who read, Marc is definitely a gentleman and a scholar and handled my criticsism very well. I will offer my apologies if you did not have a similar conflict with Mr. Chipman, I must have you confused with someone else. My bad.

One day I will take time to view your DVD's. They seem popular here and I respect a lot of the opinion posted by many of the A-R membership.

FWIW- I think if you do engage Mark Sullivan for a hunt it would be FAR too much drama for me! Wink Good luck!

~Ann