New
Find
Notify
Tools

BBC in South Africa.....
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I watched a very interesting show on BBC last night. "African Hunting Holiday" is worth watching. I was surprised to hear a SA rancher describe raising lions to be sold to SA game farm ranchers for hunting. Thought that was a no-no?

Ski+3

Posts: 860 | Location: Kalispell, MT | Registered: 01 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Is that the one with Louis Theroux?

He does some interesting docs but he can be immensely irritating!

Posts: 1274 | Location: Alberta (and RSA) | Registered: 16 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I watched it expecting a hit piece.

It wasn't as bad as I feared. Theroux is a typical metrosexual but he tried and eventually could not pull the trigger. He also could not comprehend why people hunt and this led him to ask the same questions over and over which pissed off the farmers/guides. But they asked for it by getting involved. The American male hunters came accross as rednecks but not as bad as you can see at any hour on TV. The wife of one hunter represented us well even though she was a new hunter.
The best point was made by the game farmer when in anger he told Theroux, if there is no hunting there will be no animals left in Africa. You could see it was everything he could do to stop from saying that without hunting the black natives would kill and eat every damn animal on the continent.

In conclusion Theroux stated that hunting preserves and increases the animal populations but for him he will eat them but not shoot them.

Fair Enough

One of Us
posted Hide Post
At least he now understands that "meat" is not made in a green grocery....

Posts: 696 | Location: Soddy Daisy, TN USA | Registered: 05 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of RobinOLocksley
posted Hide Post
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NDyLNkM-Dgk

Best-
Locksley,R.

"Early in the morning, at break of day, in all the freshness and dawn of one's strength, to read a book - I call that vicious!"- Friedrich Nietzsche

Posts: 810 | Location: Sherwood Forest | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With Quote