THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    Any one use this camera on a safari?

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Any one use this camera on a safari?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Finally got some time to get to the camera store and have an idea what I want for a Pocket camera already but I was also talked into a SLR by my wife. The choices came in between the Canon t2i and the Nikon D3100.

The Nikon 3100 seems like it has a few extra positives to it than the cannon and is $100 cheaper. These cameras are basically beginner level which is fine. I do not know much about settings at all and will keep it in auto for when I use it. My wife though has an interest and wants to take a small class to learn a bit and see what she can do.

My question is wondering if there is a better camera for the same price range than the Nikon D3100?? I plan on buying a bigger zoom lense as well so when I take her on any safaris she can make full use of the camera. Any thoughts?

Posts: 894 | Location: Alberta Canada | Registered: 20 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Oday450
posted Hide Post
I can't tell you if there is a better one but I took a D3100 to South Africa in June and came back with some very nice photos from Kruger Nat'l Park and from the hunt. In over 700 photos the fault for poor pics was always mine.

I've always used Canons before so there was a learning curve. The size and weight were very good as well - smaller than most DSLRs. Not too heavy to tote around and easy to fit in a day pack. That's one of the reasons I chose it.

"Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult."

Posts: 1313 | Location: The People's Republic of Maryland, USA | Registered: 05 August 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
One has to remember how often you use the camera to remember its features. If not a professional pic taker. My pocket camera Canon power shot is enough. Takes double A batteries and SD cards.
These pics were taken at the high setting on camera.

Michael Podwika... DRSS bigbores and hunting www.pvt.co.za " MAKE THE SHOT " 450#2 Famars

Posts: 6768 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mike,

In that last pic, she looks a mite peeved. Kind of reminds me of my wife the last time I did ... whatever it was I did.

Posts: 10382 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Liked my Canon D1000. too bad it died after three years.

Posts: 2827 | Location: Seattle, in the other Washington | Registered: 26 April 2006Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
I use SLRs from both Canon and Nikon, and I cannot honestly say one has better quality pictures than the other.

They do have different ways of different settings, some of which I prefer the Nikons for and some I prefer the Canon for.

So whatever you find easier to use, go ahead and buy it.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68793 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
If not a professional pic taker. My pocket camera Canon power shot is enough

Mike, I'd look at getting a new camera. The Leopard looks fine, but the guy holding him looks kind of saggy, distorted, and blotchy.

Oh...ah....never mind! :-)

Posts: 20165 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 505ED
posted Hide Post
You are kind of either a Nikon guy or a Cannon guy. I happen to be a Nikon guy and the new D3100 is great!

DRSS Member

Posts: 2289 | Location: Texas | Registered: 02 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am thinking it will do just fine. I plan on taking the pocket camera as well but with if my wife comes on any of the hunts I plan on she wants to have a good camera that is basic and that will take good pics. I am sure this one will do fine but wondered if there was a better option for the price or not.
Retreever, which powershot camera is it that you have? It did a real good job for you.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Firstly, see here for all things camera from a guy who is not a shill for any camera company.

www.kenrockwell.com

Last trip we took Nikon d7000(new) with the 80-200 2.8 lens (shots from the truck), a Nikon d40 with the 18-200 lens (wife carried in a belt pouch until the lens crapped out (not Nikon's fault we have beaten that lens)) and a canon I95 that was the backup.

My advice is take at least one good SLR with a good fast telephoto lens and a pocket camera as a backup. Anyone who tells you a pocket camera will take as good a picture as a good SLR and telephoto lens is simply wrong.

Posts: 572 | Location: Escaped to Montana  | Registered: 01 March 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Here's my take on camera equipment for a hunting trip:

I hunted RSA last March with Crusader Safaris. Got 19 animals -- fantastic hunt! Side trip to Krueger NP (Jock Lodge) after the hunt was awesome!

I only took my Nikon D3000 with 18-200 lens. VERY disappointed that I did not also take a pocket camera.

My experience was the SLR was great for the majority of my picture taking, but just wasn't available in all instances because it couldn't be lugged around everywhere. Especially with the harder hunting.

Next trip, I will have a pocket camera with me at all times. Everyone else did, and the trophy pics with the pocket camera were just as good as any I made with my SLR.

Jack Hood

DRSS

Posts: 253 | Location: West Texas | Registered: 19 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
nube; Just to muddy the waters. Have you considered Pentax. I chose Pentax over Cannon and Nikon for the following reasons. Of all the reviews I read the Pentax has better seals against the elements. Pentax unlike the Nikon and Cannon has the shake reduction built into the camera making lenses much less expensive than the Cannon and Nikon. Unlike Nikon and Cannon all Pentax lenses will fit on the Pentax cameras. I suggest you look at the K r. It is their entry/mid level camera. Small and light weight.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have heard good things about the Kr.
I plan on taking a good pocket camera as well guys. Can't just go with one camera. I also have a good built in camera on my video camera as well.
Thanks for the info guys

One of Us
posted Hide Post
A friend who tells me he takes a 1000 or so pictures a month, advised me to buy the Nikon D5000.. it is now discontinued (replaement is the D5100)and can be bought for about the same price as the D3000, and has more and upgraded features. They are listed at Best Buys for like $599.00, with the one zoom lens.. Might want to check with BB, because I'm thinking the price I'm showing maybe a $100 higher than it really is, and you can either buy it local at the BB, or go on line and buy it there. I'm going to grab a D5000 here shortly, as need to get the money up first..

Posts: 501 | Location: Maryland | Registered: 18 June 2006Reply With Quote