New
Find
Notify
Tools

1st safari
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Well the wife and I won a pg safari at the Dallas Woods and Water banquet last night. dancingIt is a 10 day in Limpopo SA. This is a donation hunt and includes 1 Impala, 1 Blue Wilebeest and 1 Warthog. I think I will be adding some others.

I have read other posts about caliber choice but I will be taking my 375 h&h. Might be a bit much but after all this is Africa. Should I take another rifle?

I have e-mailed the PH, Willie De Klerk. He was guiding for Unico Safaris and now has his own. Yall know him?

I blame all of this on the wife.

“I am an American; free born and free bred, where I acknowledge no man as my superior,
except for his own worth, or as my inferior, except for his own demerit.”
Theodore Roosevelt (1858 – 1919)

Posts: 240 | Location: texas | Registered: 05 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If you have a 375 H&H that you like and shoot well, by all means take it. I used a 375 H&H on my first safari for everything and it worked perfectly.

If you have a favorite deer class caliber, I would take that to. A 30-06, 270, 7mm, etc. always works great on a plainsgame hunt.

By the way, forget about the trophy fees and plan on shooting any decent representative animal that is available. You will find that the biggest cost of hunting africa is getting over there and the daily rate. I know a few people who went over on their first trip and didn't shoot some animals because it was not in their planned budget. When they got home, they regretted it.

Have a great time.

Tim

Posts: 1430 | Location: California | Registered: 21 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dick B,
By chance, my first safari was also a donated hunt in Limpopo. In pure dollars and cents, it wasn't the smoking deal that it first appeared, compared to regular packages available with the same outfitter. The auction hunt did allow me to take my wife along, for essentially nothing. None of that matters much, compared to the hunting which was great.
I took a .300 Win Mag and a .375 H&H, mostly because its Africa and I couldn't stand the thought of my "one and only trip" not involving an "African caliber". As it turned out after the obligatory sight check my PH suggested I use the .375, and the .300 went back in the case for the duration of the trip.I shot 10 animals with 270 grain TSXs. Shots in the bushveld tend to be very short, at partly obscured animals. The ability to get a good hit off fast put more trophies in the salt than a perfect shot that doesn't get fired at all.Practice offhand and off sticks.
The .375 may be more than you need, but with hard bullets it won't mangle anything. Chances are that it will do less damage than "deer calibers". Don't be suprised if the smaller faster calibers actually kill faster than the H&H. You're only over gunned if you can't handle it.
Oh, BTW my comment to the PH that this was my one and only trip to Africa evoked an immediate laugh. The normal pattern is to start talking about the next trip after the first day, and planning to build onto your house after the third. I leave for my fourth trip in July. The .300 never went back, but the .375 has now shot game from steinbuck to giraffe. You really don't need anything else.

Posts: 1928 | Location: Saskatchewan, Canada | Registered: 30 November 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
There is no way you are going to come back with just those 3 animals. What are you going to do on the third day?

Russ Gould - Whitworth Arms LLC
BigfiveHQ.com, Large Calibers and African Safaris
Doublegunhq.com, Fine English, American and German Double Rifles and Shotguns
VH2Q.com, Varmint Rifles and Gear

Posts: 2932 | Location: Texas | Registered: 07 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Russ Gould:
There is no way you are going to come back with just those 3 animals. What are you going to do on the third day?

Amen........ or shoot them all on the first day, then what to do for 9 days?

Remember, forgivness is easier to get than permission.

Posts: 3994 | Location: Hudsonville MI USA | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the feedback folks.
Terry I got the info. Thank you very much.

It looks like we will be going towards the end of August. The dates are not final yet but that is our goal.

I have been walking around with a grin on my face since we got this trip. The wife, has in the past given me a rash of crap about the time I spent on AR looking and reading about hunts and guns. I think she is starting to understand the addiction of both.
The wife has decided that we need 2 Impalas and Warthogs for the house. I am adding a Blesbuck and a Gemsbuck. If I can swing it I would also like to hunt the Kudu, Red Hartebeest and the Bushbuck.

From what I have read here and there if I load up some 260 - 270gr thick jacket bullets in my 375 they should work on all the pg out there. So that's what I will be working on and shoots my ass off so to speak. The range I shoot f class at has a couple of sight in days coming up. Me, my shooting stick and the 375 will be there to try the 200 and 300 yard line.

I hope yall don't mind if I ask more question as they come to me.

“I am an American; free born and free bred, where I acknowledge no man as my superior,
except for his own worth, or as my inferior, except for his own demerit.”
Theodore Roosevelt (1858 – 1919)

Posts: 240 | Location: texas | Registered: 05 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of CRUSHER
posted Hide Post
for an all pg hunt you might like the 235 gr tsx flatter and plenty tough.

VERITAS ODIUM PARIT

Posts: 1624 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 04 June 2005Reply With Quote