THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    Sometimes, Things Don't Work Out As Planned

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sometimes, Things Don't Work Out As Planned
 Login/Join

Administrator
posted

Ladies and Gentlemen,

I shot the sable you see above in 1995, in Chete, Zimbabwe.

We were driving back to camp just before lunch, and we came across the tracks of a sable bull going to one of the springs for a drink.

The tracks looked fresh, so we decided to continue to camp, have lunch, come back and follow that sable.

It was a very hot day. In fact, looking back on that day, it was probably the hottest day we had ever had hunting.

Anyway, the plan was very simle, as we thought the sable is not goingto go very far after having a drink, and we would hav an easy afternoon hunt, not too far from camp. This would mean a very rare day for us, as we might even get back to camp well before sundown, and enjoy the rest of the afternoon relaxing by the lake shore.

Those who have hunted Chete would know how hard it is, especially in the middle of the summer. Nights are so hot we could not sleep. Some used to get out of bed, jump in the small pool they had there, and go back to bed wet, hoping that might cool them a bit so sleep can come.

Well, we had our lunch, and hit the road soon after. We followed the sable, and found him lying under a tree. He was about 100 yards, and looked perfectly placed for a shot. I fired a shot at him with a 270 Ackley, and jumped up and took off!

That was the beginning of a whole afternoon of tcaking. No blood was found, and all we could see was glimpses of him disappearing into thick bush.

This continued till sun down. By this time were as almost as god as dead.

On the way back to camp, we discussed what might have happened. I was sure I had a clear shot at him, and was 99% certain I did hit him. But, as there was no sign of blood, we all assumed I missed him.

Alan mentioned that he was surprised the sable even got up. As from his angle, my shot would have been straight into his chest, and might even hit the spine to anchor him.

Of course, whatever discussion we might have, is only guess work. As if there is no sable, there is no way of knowing where the bullet had gone.

Two days later, we were driving a few miles from where we stopped following him, and there he was.

I got out of the truck, and after a very short stalk, managed to kill him.

If you look at the photo, you can see a blood coverd patch high on his shoulder. The top of that patch is where my bullet a few days earlier went in. He bled very little, as you can see the blood stopped a few inches down, and we were not able to see any sign of it when we followed him then.

It appeared he was lying almost broadside, his body hidden behind some bush. Not as we had assumed that he was lying facing us. Also, I remember he was lying more on one side rather than upright, and tried to get the bullet into his chest accordingly.

Of course, we could have shot another sable, never knowing that this was actually hit. Although the wound was superficial, and would cause him no harm at all.

Or we could have found a speck of blood on that day, and as we never managed to see him, we would have had to pay for a wounded sable, and go home empty handed.

This sort of thing happens in hunting, and one has to learn to live with it.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68643 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
Picture of Canuck
posted Hide Post
Excellent story Saeed. Great picture of you and Walter too.

It was very fortunate that you found the same Sable!

Posts: 7122 | Location: The Rock (southern V.I.) | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Gerhard.Delport
posted Hide Post
Glad you found him Saeed.

When possible I dont like shooting at animals lying down because the vitals are no longer easy to identify.

Gerhard
FFF Safaris
Capture Your African Moments
Hunting Outfitter (MP&LP)
Proffesional Hunter (MP&LP)
History guide
Wildlife Photographer
www.fffsafaris.co.za

Posts: 1659 | Location: Dullstroom- Mpumalanga - South Africa | Registered: 14 May 2005Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
Funny enough, I have shot a number of animals lying down, and never lost one.

This is the only one which was almost lost.

Posts: 68643 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Brush deflection on that first shot?
Those pesky invisible twigs can ruin a day on the veld.

Posts: 28032 | Location: KY | Registered: 09 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of David Hulme
posted Hide Post
This is so indicative of what can possibly happen when hunting. I've witnessed similar happenings a couple of times. Glad it panned out.

Dave

Posts: 2270 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 28 February 2007Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RIP:
Brush deflection on that first shot?
Those pesky invisible twigs can ruin a day on the veld.

I have no idea.

One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
Saeed, a similar thing happened to me last year in the Selous, while hunting a Nyasa wildebeest.

Except I knew I had hit him with my first shot, as there was a lot of blood, and we spent five hours chasing him after the shot. Only to lose him.

One full week later, near the same spot where I had first shot him, we found him again. This time, I put him down. We found that my first shot had inflicted a mere flesh wound.

As Ripley used to say - very strange, but true!

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13616 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Your biggest problem is the object just behind you in the picture. Bad karma....

Posts: 10359 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
just shrug it off and blame it on that you were shooting walters blaser

Posts: 13460 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by butchloc:
just shrug it off and blame it on that you were shooting walters blaser

I would give up hunting before I use such a silly contraption as a Blaser! clap

One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Excellent story Saeed. Please award yourself 100 Trillion Dollars! clap You and Walter are both quite youthful looking in that picture. Big Grin

One of Us
Picture of namibiahunter
posted Hide Post
This sort of thing does indeed happen, even to the best of hunters. Saeed's story is very much like my experience with this Blue Wildebeest (and others, like my moose, mule deer, Black Bear, that did not drop on the spot).

That's what real life hunting is about.

Namibiahunter

Posts: 665 | Location: Oregon or Namibia | Registered: 13 June 2007Reply With Quote