THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    KLASERIE “OLDEST & UGLIEST” DAGGA BOY CHALLENGE

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

KLASERIE “OLDEST & UGLIEST” DAGGA BOY CHALLENGE
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of ivan carter
posted
Folks
I recieved the below from kevin roberton at the south african wildlife college and i thought it may be of interest - i have been to the college many times and they are doing incredible work have a look at their website

South afican willife college:Registered as a Non-Profit Company of the Companies Act of 2008
Registration Number 1996/005726/08. 046-675-NPO. 930016093-PBO

One man, a rifle and a 40 km stretch of river meandering through a vast, wild and game-rich property where the Big-7 appear in good numbers. Yes, the opportunity exists to take up a unique challenge – it is to find and hunt the oldest and ugliest buffalo in an area, which is without a doubt one of the best for the pursuit of wild, free ranging buffalo in South Africa.
The Klaserie Private Nature Reserve is where the challenge will take place - either in late September or early October 2015. Numerous buffalo occur here – the challenge is to find the right one.
Adding to the excitement of this nine-day buffalo hunting adventure is the fact that you will start off the challenge by being the personal guest of Kevin 'Doctari' Robertson at the Southern African Wildlife College. This is where he will help prepare you for the occasion. Included will be two evening game drives/walks, two braai's and a full morning of one-on-one tuition where the topics 'buffalo ballistics', 'shot placement', 'trophy assessment' and 'buffalo aging' will be covered in detail.
An afternoon on the shooting range will sharpen your ‘field’ shooting skills before engaging the college's simulated buffalo hunt course where 6 life-size buffalo targets provide realistic, ‘in their natural environment’ hunting scenarios. There is no doubt this experience will prepare you well for what lies ahead.
Transfer to the nearby Klaserie Private Nature Reserve early the following morning. This is when your 7-day dagga boy challenge will begin. The scenic Klaserie River meanders though the Reserve. Towards the end of the dry season numerous dagga boys congregate within the vicinity of this waterway to utilize its permanent drinking pools, reed beds and grassy riverbanks.
The initial 4 to 5 days of the challenge will be spent walking the entire 40 km length of this river to evaluate, age and hopefully photograph all the buffalo bulls encountered. (It is estimated that this will be in the region of 70 to 100 different bulls.)
The remaining 2 to 3 days of the hunt will then be dedicated to finding (for a second time) and hunting the bull that best fulfills the physical characteristics of the challenge’s criteria.
John Luyt of Duke Safaris will PH and outfit the hunt. www.dukesafaris.com As a past assistant warden of the Klaserie, few others knows this property as well as John. He too is ‘buffalo crazy’!
Pick-up and drop-off for the challenge with be in Hoedspruit, South Africa, from where there are daily flights to Johannesburg.
Those interested in this unique opportunity are welcome to e-mail Kevin Robertson at krobertson@sawc.org.za for more information.
The hunt will sell to the highest offer – closing date for bids will be the end July 2015. (Reserve price US $ 19500)
A running tab of the highest bid will be displayed daily on www.facebook.com/groups/SAWC.phdept/
Proceeds from this will go to the south african wildlife college- a very worthy institution

"The greatest threat to our wildlife is the thought that someone else will save it”

www.facebook.com/ivancartersafrica

www.ivancarterwca.org
www.ivancarter.com
ivan@ivancarter.com

Posts: 1201 | Location: South Africa  | Registered: 04 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Andrew McLaren
posted Hide Post
Very well done. A sure hunt-of-a-lifetime for someone not interested in inches, but rather character!

I do hope there are enough guys with such desire, and much more serious money than what I could offer, to also make this very good idea into a resounding fund-raising success! Big Grin

Again, well done Doctari, and all else involved, in bringing such a fantastic opportunity to the highest bidder! tu2

Andrew McLaren
Professional Hunter and Hunting Outfitter since 1974.

http://www.mclarensafaris.com The home page to go to for custom planning of ethical and affordable hunting of plains game in South Africa!
Enquire about any South African hunting directly from andrew@mclarensafaris.com

After a few years of participation on forums, I have learned that:

One can cure:

Lack of knowledge – by instruction. Lack of skills – by practice. Lack of experience – by time doing it.

One cannot cure:

Stupidity – nothing helps! Anti hunting sentiments – nothing helps! Put-‘n-Take Outfitters – money rules!

My very long ago ancestors needed and loved to eat meat. Today I still hunt!

Posts: 1799 | Location: Soutpan, Free State, South Africa | Registered: 19 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
tu2

Sounds like a real hunting endurance adventure Smiler

If I had the time and money....

Morten

The more I know, the less I wonder !

Posts: 1143 | Location: Oslo area, Norway | Registered: 26 June 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of rnovi
posted Hide Post
Very cool sounding hunt!

Regards,

Robert

H4350! It stays crunchy in milk longer!

Posts: 2319 | Location: Greater Nashville, TN | Registered: 23 June 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sounds like a great opportunity.

I've hunted the Klaserie four times for buff and once for lion. 44's to 48's were typical for buff and lion is always a hit or miss as there is no calling, baiting, and night hunting, but I have seen quite a few big lion shot there.

Just Remember, We ALL Told You So.

Posts: 22442 | Location: Occupying Little Minds Rent Free | Registered: 04 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Expat
posted Hide Post
WOW!! That would be the ultimate buff hunt!!!

Posts: 50 | Location: Sask Canada | Registered: 13 April 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Milo Shanghai
posted Hide Post
I can see how this might be attractive to some people but others might not wish to spend 20k+ sponsoring a field survey for up to five days with only two days hunting. Each to their own.

Posts: 680 | Location: London | Registered: 03 September 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank you for posting this Ivan.
To anyone interested, please note there is a limit to the horn spread size of the bull to be hunted. It is a maximum of 37 inches. This is a Klaserie Reserve Requirement. If the criteria of the challenge are followed - to find the oldest and ugliest bull, then I'm confident such an ornery old fellow will fit into this category.

Posts: 151 | Location: Southern Africa | Registered: 30 June 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Andrew McLaren
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Milo Shanghai:
I can see how this might be attractive to some people but others might not wish to spend 20k+ sponsoring a field survey for up to five days with only two days hunting. Each to their own.

This is extremely attractive for me! In today's rushed world "most" true trophy hunters goes out with their PH and search for a very good trophy specimen. If one is seen a decision is made to shoot or to not shoot, and so either ending the hunt or extending the search. If the shot is taken, the trophy hunter will hardly ever know if he has really gotten either the very best, or at least one of the really top trophies, in the area hunted. But the hunt offered here is much more than a trophy hunt! It is a search for the very best trophy in a very large area. Once the search, or survey if you wish to call it that, is over and the hunter and PH agree which one was the very best that was seen [naturally the very best may not have been seen during the search Mad ] they go back "to collect it".

Now this really appeals to my taste in trophy hunting!Not searching for just a good or very good specimen, but searching for the very best specimen in an area!

Man, I'll offer my total income from all sources over a one year period as bid for such a hunt! I repeat my view that this is the best hunt offer that I have ever seen anywhere, and hats off to all involved in putting it on the table!

My very best wishes to the highest bidder!

Andrew McLaren
Professional Hunter and Hunting Outfitter since 1974.

http://www.mclarensafaris.com The home page to go to for custom planning of ethical and affordable hunting of plains game in South Africa!
Enquire about any South African hunting directly from andrew@mclarensafaris.com

After a few years of participation on forums, I have learned that:

One can cure:

Lack of knowledge – by instruction. Lack of skills – by practice. Lack of experience – by time doing it.

One cannot cure:

Stupidity – nothing helps! Anti hunting sentiments – nothing helps! Put-‘n-Take Outfitters – money rules!

My very long ago ancestors needed and loved to eat meat. Today I still hunt!

Posts: 1799 | Location: Soutpan, Free State, South Africa | Registered: 19 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Milo Shanghai
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Andrew McLaren:
quote:
Originally posted by Milo Shanghai:

This is extremely attractive for me! In today's rushed world "most" true trophy hunters goes out with their PH and search for a very good trophy specimen. If one is seen a decision is made to shoot or to not shoot, and so either ending the hunt or extending the search. If the shot is taken, the trophy hunter will hardly ever know if he has really gotten either the very best, or at least one of the really top trophies, in the area hunted. But the hunt offered here is much more than a trophy hunt! It is a search for the very best trophy in a very large area. Once the search, or survey if you wish to call it that, is over and the hunter and PH agree which one was the very best that was seen [naturally the very best may not have been seen during the search Mad ] they go back "to collect it".

Now this really appeals to my taste in trophy hunting!Not searching for just a good or very good specimen, but searching for the very best specimen in an area!

Man, I'll offer my total income from all sources over a one year period as bid for such a hunt! I repeat my view that this is the best hunt offer that I have ever seen anywhere, and hats off to all involved in putting it on the table!

My very best wishes to the highest bidder!

Agree with you on every point, Andrew, if there was more time allowed to find the best beast discovered in the recce period. Five days recce and five days trying to find #1 again would be fine by me.

Posts: 680 | Location: London | Registered: 03 September 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank you for your comments Andrew - you have grasped and expressed well the concept of the 'hunt' as I hope it will be. A true 'hunt' and an amazing adventure. Your support is appreciated. Kevin

Posts: 151 | Location: Southern Africa | Registered: 30 June 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
This is a wonderfull opportunity, I often drive past the Klaserie on my way to my shack in the Umbabat.
The APNR has got some really great buffalo. It does not have the same wildness as Moz or the Zambezi valley but what I really enjoy is how well the area has been conserved (except for the bloody ellies).

Later this year we plan to go bushcamping on foot in the Klaserie, I cant wait anymore.

Posts: 406 | Location: South Africa | Registered: 12 November 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
In so many ways a great opportunity and in support of an excellent organisation that has a material impact on the future of the wildlife we all love.

I have been fortunate enough to go on a number of buffalo hunts in the Klaserie over the past few years, and I have spent a significant amount of time there with my family on non hunting vacations.

Kevin's description of the area and what to expect is spot on, and on many of our walks along the Klaserie River we have bumped into groups of the Dagga boys that he speaks of. Not to mention multiple Lion sightings on foot, leopard on foot during the day and many other wonderful experiences.

Someone is going to have a fantastic hunt!

Posts: 394 | Location: Africa | Registered: 25 September 2009Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I worked in the Klaserie in the early 80's. It is an awesome place.

Posts: 94 | Location: Chilcotin B.C. | Registered: 05 December 2002Reply With Quote