Tools

Too many guns?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Jagter
posted Hide Post
What then about this rubbish idea?

quote:
United Nations Ready To Globally Ban Guns - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z1FYF8ntzyY

OWLS
My Africa, with which I will never be able to live without!

Posts: 654 | Location: RSA, Mpumalanga, Witbank. | Registered: 21 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I really enjoyed reading this thread and laughed more than once. My own sentiments are best expressed in my belief in the truth of the old American expression (in the days of competitive turkey shoots where a lot of betting went on) "Beware of the man with one gun". I really do believe that most of us are "deadly" with that one favorite gun. The others in the rack are what we bought on impulse because we liked their looks or how they felt -in the gun shop - it's kinda like the way women buy shoes. Smiler

Posts: 680 | Location: NY | Registered: 10 July 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gerrypeters375:
I really enjoyed reading this thread and laughed more than once. My own sentiments are best expressed in my belief in the truth of the old American expression (in the days of competitive turkey shoots where a lot of betting went on) "Beware of the man with one gun". I really do believe that most of us are "deadly" with that one favorite gun. The others in the rack are what we bought on impulse because we liked their looks or how they felt -in the gun shop - it's kinda like the way women buy shoes. Smiler

I think that may be what the "Beware of the man with one gun" really means. I have one that is my favorite and I have shot lots more with that one than any other; I like the feel of it. Then I have some that I have not shot in a while. I personally don't know anyone who only owns one. "Happiness is a Warm Gun" Wink

Posts: 1357 | Location: Texas | Registered: 17 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Scriptus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Duckear:
Most of the 'you have too many guns' quotes are the result of sour grapes from local political misfortunes or impecunious shooters. Furthermore, the 'beware the man with one gun' BS is just that. I have never met a guy with only one gun, or rifle for that matter, that could shoot worth a darn.

What a pity, it must be lonely not knowing too many people!!

SUSTAINABLY HUNTING THE BLUE PLANET!
"Political language is designed to make lies sound truthful, murder respectable and to give an appearence of solidity to pure wind." Dr J A du Plessis

Posts: 3297 | Location: South of the Equator. | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I told my wife today that I would quit buying guns when she quit buying shoes. Wink

It ain't gonna happen!

one of us
Picture of Duckear
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scriptus:
quote:
Originally posted by Duckear:
Most of the 'you have too many guns' quotes are the result of sour grapes from local political misfortunes or impecunious shooters. Furthermore, the 'beware the man with one gun' BS is just that. I have never met a guy with only one gun, or rifle for that matter, that could shoot worth a darn.

What a pity, it must be lonely not knowing too many people!!

I know plenty of people. Wink

But to be good with a rifle you have to practice. And those that are really into practicing are very likely into shooting in general. How many people are really into shooting, practicing and a good shot and only own ONE rifle?

Very few I would venture to guess.

Those that own one rifle tend to only own "one box of shells" too. lol

Hunting: Exercising dominion over creation at 2800 fps.

Posts: 3108 | Location: Southern US | Registered: 21 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have bounced between too many and not enough. I am in the "just right" mode right now with a good shotgun, a good big gun, a very accurate little gun and a pistol. Of course I have a few others that I holding "just in case".

Posts: 10364 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have safe full of rifles, pistols and shotguns. Not really a pistolero, only six. My real weakness is Mauser sporters and SxS shotguns, but I could get by with my Colt .45 series 70, Marlin M39, 10.75 Mauser and Parker 20ga. Just those 4, but what fun whould that be?

Posts: 677 | Location: Florida | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
"Too many guns" I suspect are ones you've never shot, never bought ammo for and never will own ammo for.

Others will be ones that never satisfied or never worked right.

That describes some that will be the first to go one day when the collector instinct subsides.

One of Us
Picture of Harold R. Stephens
posted Hide Post
I own multiple guns because I can. I shoot multiple guns so that I am more proficient with more than one gun. At the range, I typically take no less than two guns, likely four guns. This way, the first gun can completely cool before it comes back up in rotation.

At least it makes since to me and that is really all that matters.

I fear more the guy that breaks out his gun and home made reloads, than the guy that breaks out the new box of shells in the plastic bag from Wal-Mart.

Founding member of the 7MM STW club

Member of the Texas Cull Hunters Association

Posts: 512 | Location: Granbury, Texas | Registered: 23 January 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I do something that I learned from another shooter, I usually take two or three guns to the range; I start with the lowest calibre rifle first, then work my way up ending with the largest weapon, it seems to help me with my shooting. Also allows the guns to cool before restarting the cycle. Couldn't do that if I had only one gun. Wink

one of us
posted Hide Post
It isn't too many guns, it is not enough time.

I have fewer now than I did 5 years ago, hopefully to change later. but between hotrods, work, chores at the house, and two girls under four, there is almost no extra time. I shot a lot more often when I was single. Smiler

Now, it is possible to get very very good with a rifle, and then later have other guns. my stepfather's go to rifle is a sporterized 1903, on it's 2nd barrel (he shot out the original 30-06 barrel in it, I don't know how many rounds that takes but from early teens onwards he shot every single weekend).

He also is a one handgun guy. he had a 22 revolver he used for quick draw fancy stuff when he was younger and competitive. but his one steady companion (outlasted 2 wives and will I'm sure outlast the 3rd) is a 6" 357. and he's almost an artist with that thing.

Red

Posts: 4740 | Location: Fresno, CA | Registered: 21 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Everytime the politicians talk about gun control, I go out and buy some guns. They have sure passed a lot of gun control legislation.

Posts: 2180 | Location: Rancho Cucamonga, Ca. | Registered: 20 February 2008Reply With Quote