THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    Check out the Elephant shoulder mount...

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Check out the Elephant shoulder mount...
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Bill C
posted
This is in my taxidermist's showroom. Tusks are reproductions, and I think the ears are fiberglass. Cost to mount about $12K.

Posts: 3153 | Location: PA | Registered: 02 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wow! It is magnificent!

STAY IN THE FIGHT!

Posts: 1849 | Location: Southern California | Registered: 25 July 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
I would think the whole thing is "plastic."

Tempted, are you? Smiler

-------------------------------
Will Stewart / Once you've been amongst them, there is no such thing as too much gun.
---------------------------------------
and, God Bless John Wayne.

NRA Benefactor Member, GOA, N.A.G.R.

"Elephant and Elephant Guns" $99 shipped
“Hunting Africa's Dangerous Game" $20 shipped.

red.dirt.elephant@gmail.com

Hoping to wind up where elephant hunters go.

Posts: 19362 | Location: Ocala Flats | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
who is the taxidermist?

Posts: 1093 | Location: Florida | Registered: 14 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Very well done and the cost dosn't seem extreem.

I well remember the ele head mount in the Weatherby store front. Makes a big impression.

Brett

one of us
Picture of Bill C
posted Hide Post
The taxidermist is Wes Good, of Wildlife Artistry, located in south-central PA.

Phone: (800) 809-8508
email: info@taxidermystudio.com

Will, think of the training possibilities, this and an airsoft rifle, we could practice our "angles" all night long. If I had the room - and had I not already shot my bull - sure would be neat.

Here's another pict. Okay, see the ear hole.... Big Grin

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nice work, but I think this falls into the conspicuous consumption category. I think I'd use the money to finance another trip instead.

analog_peninsula

analog_peninsula
-----------------------

It takes character to withstand the rigors of indolence.

Posts: 1580 | Location: Dallas, Tx | Registered: 02 June 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NitroX
posted Hide Post
Bill

Damned nice!

Thanks for posting.

John H.

NitroExpress.com - the net's double rifle forum

Posts: 10138 | Location: Wine Country, Barossa Valley, Australia | Registered: 06 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Gerhard.Delport
posted Hide Post
WoW that is Awesome!!!

Gerhard

Gerhard
FFF Safaris
Capture Your African Moments
Hunting Outfitter (MP&LP)
Proffesional Hunter (MP&LP)
History guide
Wildlife Photographer
www.fffsafaris.co.za

Posts: 1659 | Location: Dullstroom- Mpumalanga - South Africa | Registered: 14 May 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
Only $12,000? I'll take two! Big Grin

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7558 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
AT $12k, that is less than a cruise and less than a cheesy big diamond ring that my wife doesn't want - why not an ele in the house?

A lot less than a double rifle built in the 1920's by H&H and you can look at it everyday...

Posts: 10362 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
I always figured I would need about twelve feet of wall, about twelve feet high to feature an elephant head and shoulder mount.

But if I had the space . . . Big Grin

Very nice work on that one.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13623 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
Bill, and expensive target to get built...But very nice...

Mike

Michael Podwika... DRSS bigbores and hunting www.pvt.co.za " MAKE THE SHOT " 450#2 Famars

Posts: 6768 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The best I've seen. Very realistic.

Posts: 13860 | Location: Texas | Registered: 10 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
From the front it looks outstanding, but from the side it doesn't look so hot.

Jason

Jason

"You're not hard-core, unless you live hard-core."

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6838 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The ears look like the edge of a pie crust.

Posts: 499 | Location: San Antonio , Texas USA | Registered: 01 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bill,
Is the elephant head supported through the trunk or is it attached to a black wall mount?
This is a pretty impressive mount. Does the $12,000 include the pedestal? How high does the final product require for clearance? This could solve a lot of my problems.
Robert

Posts: 115 | Location: Garner, NC | Registered: 09 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill C
posted Hide Post
Robert, The mount is free-standing and does not require a wall to support. The $12K is I think worst-case w/base, and actual price could be a bit lower depending on tanning, base, etc. It is expensive, but so is elephant hunting and it is all relative. I mean, the same things could be said about mounting a kudu depending on one's financial status. But not everybody's cup of tea for sure.

The ears on this one are fiberglass and Wes said they worked quite a bit on smoothing them out. They do not appear as "wrinkly" in person, but the results would likely be better if you can use the tanned ears (I think these were used to make wall-hanging maps of Africa). I know it comes apart as before Wes moved into his new studio it was in storage, and I would suspect it would be made to fit through a std door opening and reassembled once inside.

I'd say give Wes a call/email for details, I just thought it was neat and posted given the previous questions about bringing home ele skulls, and based on the number of serious ele hunters on AR. Regards, Bill

one of us
Picture of Anders
posted Hide Post
Wow! That`s a great mount! I would like to have one like that... And the space for him..

Anders

Hunting and fishing DVDs from Mossing & Stubberud Media: www.jaktogfiskedvd.no

..and my blog at: http://andersmossing.blogspot.com

Posts: 1959 | Location: Norway | Registered: 19 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
is it me or do the ear holes seem to high.....and the arches a bit to low other than that good mount.

http://www.wildlife-pictures-online.com/image-files/xeleclose.jpg

Posts: 2095 | Location: B.C | Registered: 31 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill C
posted Hide Post
700N - Yea, the focus I think was on the front view, and the zygomatic arch/ear area needs a little attention. I'd have the eyes made a wee bit larger too. Just like this guy I took a pict of in Zambia:

One of Us
Picture of Grafton
posted Hide Post
quote:
the results would likely be better if you can use the tanned ears

Reproduction ears are common on elephant mounts. Some look better than others. I think this mount looks good.

Real ears are very difficult to work with as they will almost always drum/shrink/crack etc..

With the high costs of tanning elephant skin for a mount and shipping the heavy cape, a total reproduction can be a good choice. If they are detailed well, a very good reproduction elephant, rhino, or hippo can be had that will look good and last forever.

SAFARI ARTS TAXIDERMY
http://www.safariarts.net/

Posts: 1378 | Location: Virginia, USA | Registered: 05 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of KUDUBULL
posted Hide Post
Now thats some good work!!!!!!!!

VERY NICE!!!!!!!

Ray Matthews
Matthews Outdoor Adventures
2808 Bainbridge Trail
Mansfield, Texas 76063

Posts: 321 | Location: Dallas | Registered: 18 June 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Jarrod
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dogcat:
AT $12k, that is less than a cruise and less than a cheesy big diamond ring that my wife doesn't want - why not an ele in the house?

A lot less than a double rifle built in the 1920's by H&H and you can look at it everyday...

If you cant take a cruise for less than 12K something is wrong.

"Science only goes so far then God takes over."

Posts: 3504 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 07 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Very nice.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
To be clear: my earlier comment was not meant to be taken as a negative criticism of the work; far from it. Rather it's a description of my inability to pay for such work. If you have the pockets and you want your own private museum, go for it. It would certainly be visually impressive; at least I would be impressed.

analog_peninsula

analog_peninsula
-----------------------

It takes character to withstand the rigors of indolence.

Posts: 1580 | Location: Dallas, Tx | Registered: 02 June 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NitroX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bill C:
I'd have the eyes made a wee bit larger too.

Bill

I thought that too. Still a very nice mount.

Posts: 10138 | Location: Wine Country, Barossa Valley, Australia | Registered: 06 March 2002Reply With Quote