Find
Notify
Tools

Satellite Communications
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of N'gagi
posted
My trip this August will be longer than any trips I've taken previously, and my business will be having some especially stressful things going on while I'm away. As much as i hate to do it, I'm thinking I might need to have e-mail and cell communiactions from the Zambezi. Unless I did something wrong, most of the info I found searching old data here on AR seems like it might be about outdated.

Can anybody give some advice on the availablity-cost of having a phone and modem to deal with this in Zim?

Thanks, and sorry. I know this is a redundant post, but things change rapidly in this area, so I'd like to get on it soon.

Mark Jackson

Posts: 1123 | Location: California | Registered: 03 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Mark,

Have you asked your safari operator if they have a satphone in camp? Many do now and it may fill the bill for you.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 13008 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill C
posted Hide Post
Mark - I'd determine how important "email" is, and if not critical and phone and SMS will do, I'd rent an Iridium 9505. Besides calling and voice mail, outside parties can SMS (simple text email) you via the Iridium.com website or via yourphonenumber@iridium.com, even if it is just a message saying "call the office". This works great considering the different time zones and hunting schedule, and you can also send and/or reply w/simple messages. (edit - rent it in the States before the trip and then you will know your number/SMS and can advise)

I personally would not depend on an outfitter/PH having a phone, with minutes, in the camp I am in, that is readily available for my usage, in Zim. I also don't get the guys who get upset at the principal of having a sat-phone along...I am much better off knowing that things are good at home and the office, and vice-verse, plus the security of being able to call for assistance if there was a situation that dictated. I even backpacked one Dall sheep hunting in the NWT.

If you must have POP3 or webmail for client communications, my experience w/the Iridium is that they don't work so well, especially when using a rented phone. I have not looked seriously into other newer modem or terminal-based solutions, but they are not going to be cheap to rent or operate, and they may require your notebook which adds a whole other layer of complexity. Great for an outfitter though as a "base station". And, you will need to select one which has coverage in the Valley (not Thuraya as has been reported). I'd be interested in the recent experiences of others here.

Posts: 3153 | Location: PA | Registered: 02 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
Mark,

You can talk to your Ph and ask if you can buy some time on his phone.. Like buying a prepaid phone card...When in Tanzania I also used a SAt modem for email...

Mike

Michael Podwika... DRSS bigbores and hunting www.pvt.co.za " MAKE THE SHOT " 450#2 Famars

Posts: 6768 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cunningham
posted Hide Post
Its simple, Go to the VODACOM desk in the airport at JNB and get a SAT phone for the time your there. At the end of your hunt on the way out go back to the phone desk and they will charge your card for your usage and your done. Its that easy. All that said if your going through JNB. I'm sure other major airports have some sort of same service.

Global Sportsmen Outfitters, LLC
Bob Cunningham
404-802-2500

Posts: 580 | Location: I am neither for you or against you. I am completely the opposite. | Registered: 23 December 2004Reply With Quote