THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    Namibia: Where to for these five critters?

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Namibia: Where to for these five critters?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
G'day fellas,

Had a few beers and plotting a Namibian adventure with my mate. Now, if kudu, baboons, warthogs, black wildebeest and red hartebeest are on the agenda, which outfits would you recommend?

Thanks in advance!

Ben

Posts: 1077 | Location: NT, Australia | Registered: 10 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Shona hunting adventures excellent company, good people

Member NRA, NFA,CSSA,DSC,SCI,AFGA

Posts: 266 | Location: Alberta Canada | Registered: 10 April 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Contact Jan du Plessis at Sebra Hunting Safaris. I hunted with him in 2013 and got very nice kudu, warthog, black wildebeest, springbok, gemsbok, and Hartmann's mountain zebra. I could have shot several nice red hartebeest, but I think they are just too ugly to shoot. (I have no objection to anyone else shooting them, I am just not interested.) Jan is great to hunt with and his wife is a great cook. His ranch has just 3-strand wire fences for cattle, so for the game it is unfenced. I shot my black wildebeest on a neighbor's ranch that was fenced but so big it did not seem like it. There were lots of baboons in the area.

One of Us
Picture of Gayne C. Young
posted Hide Post
Have fun and be sure to post some pics upon your return!

Visit my homepage
www.gaynecyoung.com

Posts: 710 | Location: Fredericksburg, Texas | Registered: 10 July 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
We took all of those and more with http://www.farm-nomtsas.com/. Nice accommodations, reasonable prices, and Albert is a fun guy to be around.

In addition to the species you mention, they've got giraffe, plains & Hartmann zebra, blesbok, blue wildebeest, jackal, ostrich, and their oryx and spingbock may be some of the best heads in the country.

Posts: 13243 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of SFRanger7GP
posted Hide Post
Contact Roy van der Merwe at Otjandaue Hunting Safaris. He is a great guy to hunt with and his wife is an excellent taxidermist.

Larry

Posts: 887 | Location: Wichita Falls Texas or Colombia | Registered: 25 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ben,

Talk to Mike Kibble of Progress Safaris.

He has taken several of the #1 Hartebeast for Namibia on his property.

I shot a 59" kudu with him, but kudu numbers are down due to rabies right across Namibia.

And if you have the right rifle (long range) set up you will get plenty of baboons.

If you are going to Nam' you should include Mountain Zebra on your list though......nothing like that hunt in Africa.

Cheers,

Blair.

Posts: 15784 | Location: Australia and Saint Germain en Laye | Registered: 30 December 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hunters Namibia.
Been there twice & would like to go back.

LORD, let my bullets go where my crosshairs show.
Not all who wander are lost.
NEVER TRUST A FART!!!
Cecil Leonard

Posts: 2786 | Location: Northeast Louisianna | Registered: 06 October 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks everybody. Pure gold. Blair (and others): How far are baboons shot at in Namibia? What is involved in hunting them? Kind regards, Ben

Posts: 1077 | Location: NT, Australia | Registered: 10 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bud Meadows
posted Hide Post
I second Dale's recommendation of Sebra Hunting Safaris. I have hunted three times with Jan, most recently in July 2015, and have shot all five of your target species. Here's a picture of one of my many baboons:

Here's a Black Wildebeest:

Here's a huge red hartebeest:

Here's one of my Sebra warthogs:

Lastly, here's my July 2015 kudu:

Jesus saves, but Moses invests

Posts: 1388 | Location: Lake Bluff, IL | Registered: 02 May 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bud Meadows
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BenKK:
How far are baboons shot at in Namibia? What is involved in hunting them? Kind regards, Ben

I've shot baboons as close as 100 yards, and as far as 276 yards. They have excellent eyesight, so you need to be well hidden and keep movement to a minimum. I've found that if the temperatures are unseasonably cold (like in the 20's) they seem to disappear. When the temps warm up later in the day, they magically appear.

Posts: 1388 | Location: Lake Bluff, IL | Registered: 02 May 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks, Bud. What else can you tell me about their habits and where they hang out? What sorts of places do you find them?

One of Us
Picture of Bud Meadows
posted Hide Post
quote:
Thanks, Bud. What else can you tell me about their habits and where they hang out? What sorts of places do you find them?

The majority of the baboons I've shot while hunting with Sebra Hunting Safaris were either on or near large kopjes, which are large hills made up of fractured granite. Three of them came down from kopjes to drink at nearby waterholes, and we ambushed them there. The farmers in Namibia hate baboons with a passion because they do a lot of damage to the thatched roofs of outbuildings, dig up buried plastic pipes leading to waterholes, and create havoc whenever they can.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Thanks everybody. Pure gold. Blair (and others): How far are baboons shot at in Namibia? What is involved in hunting them? Kind regards, Ben

Ben,

It depends how much they have been shot at and at what ranges. Once you grass a few they ranges will get longer!

You need a rifle that will reach out to 400+ yards. Namibia is NOT the place for 9.3x62's etc..

A 300 magnum with a high BC 180-200gr bullet is the way to go or a 338 magnum with 210's to flatten the trajectory.

A 300RUM or 338 RUM are even better.

As to where you will find baboons, waterholes are usually the best, but I've shot them off fence posts and out of trees. And blasting them when they think they are safe in their kopjies is great fun Big Grin

Posts: 15784 | Location: Australia and Saint Germain en Laye | Registered: 30 December 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Blair and Bud!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Blair (and others): What do you think about dropping down to 225 grains in a .375H&H for Namibia (for the above animals)?

Or, if I brought two rifles... Would the old .22-250 be appropriate and legal for the baboons?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
It too recommend Shona Hunting Adventures, I either took or had the opportunity to take all the animals on your wish list. Johann and Vera are great people, beautiful lodge in a very cool mountainous setting, good prices and also the option to stay on the coast a few days at their beach house for fishing/sight seeing.

Namibia is a great country!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
BenKK:

I spend 6-8 weeks in NW Namibia every year with Sebra (Shona is a neighboring property) which is in the "highlands" between Outju and Kananjob.

Due to the terrain (mountainous) and available cover and ambush points,for the species you've listed all you really need is a 308 Win with 150gr TSX's pushed hard. Most shots in that area can all be well under 250yd or less. That combination will provide complete broadside pass through on everything except zebra and larger out to 250yd. Other areas of Namibia are much flatter terrain and you may need something longer range.

The minimum legal caliber for foreign hunters in Namibia is 7mm/270 Win. While "locals" can use smaller caliber, the rules/laws are different for the foreign hunters coming in.

Your question ref 225gr in 375 H&H - for what you specifically listed and zebra and eland you should be just fine. My friend/PH, Jan du Plessis of Sebra) normal PG client PG back-up rifle is a 375 Ruger with 270gr TSX's and his normal culling/client loaner rifle is 308 Win with 150gr TSX's.

You'll love Namibia - very hunter friendly and safe to tour around in on your own.

Posts: 573 | Location: Somewhere between here and there. | Registered: 28 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've fallen in love with Namibia too. There is a great article on Kowas Hunting Safaris in the October issue of Petersen's Hunting magazine. They are a small, family operation, world class people, and have world class hunting, fixed trophy fees on game and not some BS sliding scale trophy fee nonsense. There is a hunt report here on this forum from this past Summer that is well worth the effort to find and read.

http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7851012112

Posts: 2276 | Location: West Texas | Registered: 07 December 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sheephunterab
posted Hide Post
As a few others have pointed out, shots can be on the long side in Namibia...depending where you hunt of course. We hunted the heart of the Namib Desert last time and some shots were extremely long. Personally, for your list I'd leave the .375 at home and take a .30 cal capable of shooting out to 400-500 yards. A .300H&H or WM with a ballistic reticle scope would be just about perfect. We've taken everything on your list save for the black wildebeest with a 7RM.

Posts: 1857 | Location: Alberta, Canada | Registered: 27 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Blair (and others): What do you think about dropping down to 225 grains in a .375H&H for Namibia (for the above animals)?

Or, if I brought two rifles... Would the old .22-250 be appropriate and legal for the baboons?

Ben,

I'd leave the 375 at home. The lighter bullet will work on everything on your wish list, but you would definitely need a ballistic reticle or turret for it.

The 22-250 is really too light; though I took a 22-06 with 80gr Nosler CC's to Mike's and we shot lots of bobo's with it....but the heavier bullet made all the difference...and it was a great springbok gun.

300 RUM would be perfect for your hunt.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hmmm... Thanks. This is where my Dad's 7mmSTW would do well. I'm having a .300H&H built, and this might suit Namibia better, too.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
It has been a few years but I have fond memories of hunting with Jan at Sebra. If memory serves correctly 265 was my longest shot (springbok) but the terrain there certainly allows for longer. I'd echo the recommendations for something in the flat shooting 300 class with either a dial or reticle setup to allow for bullet drop. You will love the country.

Regards,

Don

Trust only those who stand to lose as much as you do when things go wrong.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Hmmm... Thanks. This is where my Dad's 7mmSTW would do well. I'm having a .300H&H built, and this might suit Namibia better, too.

I used a 300H&H built by John Clapham on my last trip and loaded with the 170gr Lapua Naturalis it performed way above what I expected. Through and through shots on zebra even at extended range.

7mmSTW with 160's or heavier would be great too. I used a 7mm STW in Zim years ago and when I'd shot my trophies, I cleaned up the local baboons; must have got 40 or so...........

Mike Kibble has a client who has a custom MkV in 30-378....with factory 180 TSX loads he reckons it's the deadliest plains game rifle there is!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Like sheephunterab said, I've had little trouble killing plains (no eland yet), with a 7mmRemMag and 160 accubonds.

Posts: 2276 | Location: West Texas | Registered: 07 December 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of tendrams
posted Hide Post
http://www.westfalenhuntnamibia.com/

John and Juliana Van Der Westhuizen are up in the same general area between Outjo and Kamanjab. Great people, great area, great game numbers...and most importantly, GREAT food! Our own Greg Brownlee is the their US agent. You will not be disappointed.

one of us
Picture of jbderunz
posted Hide Post
Huntingnamibia is in high esteem in Europe. High quality and any possible game, disruptive lion and elephant apart.

http://www.namibiahuntingsafaris.com/africa-hunting/
No need to introduce the manager, Jerome Philippe?

J B de Runz
Be careful when blindly following the masses ... generally the "m" is silent

Posts: 1727 | Location: France, Alsace, Saverne | Registered: 24 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sheephunterab
posted Hide Post
We use 139-grain GMX in the 7mm. No need for heavy bullets with the mono metals but with more traditional cup and core style bullets no doubt it's a good idea. The more I shoot mono metals in Africa the more I like them. It seems most PHs are fans too. Not sure I'd tackle an eland with a 7mm...no doubt it would do the job though. We took a buffalo in Argentina with the 7mm and penetration was more than adequate.

Posts: 1857 | Location: Alberta, Canada | Registered: 27 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hey, guys, now the missus wants to shoot an ostrich. Any around these parts?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm going to hunt with "afrikajag" in late May early June. Wouldn't mind some company in camp. You can find all the animals you are looking for with Lukas. Great people and food and the price is right! Lots of repeat clients. Take a peek at his website.
Chuck

Posts: 835 | Location: Plover, Wi | Registered: 04 October 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sheephunterab
posted Hide Post
quote:

We shot a couple on our last trip to Namibia.....in the wide open plains on the desert they are extremely challenging. We hunted with Leopard Legend Hunting Safaris on their Conservancy.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Shot ostrich with Kowas. They have plenty and they are fun to hunt.

Posts: 10359 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:

There were tons of them around Nomtsas http://www.farm-nomtsas.com/, although no one in our party chose to take one. Nomtsas is among the largest of any Namibian guest hunting farm at over 55,000 hectares. A fellow Aussie wrote this article on Nomtsas: http://www.farm-nomtsas.com/Brent_Nomtsas_article.pdf

Posts: 13243 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ben,

Your missus sounds like a good woman!

You will get them with whoever you hunt........