Find
Notify
Tools

Biggest Elephants - Body Size
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Maximus Brutus
posted
I'll take my first elephant in the Selous this summer, if all goes to plan. I know the Tanzanian elephant is not huge but the ivory is nice and the hunting region is just fantastic.

I'm already starting to plan planning my 2014 safari and am interested in hunting in a region that has the tallest, largest bodied elephants in Africa.

I really don't know where to start country and region wise. Should I be looking at Zimbabwe or Botswana maybe?

Any suggestions gratefully received.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Zim will have to be your option,as pretty sure Elephant hunting will be closed in Bots next year

Pete Barnard Safaris
www.africanhunting.biz

Posts: 141 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 28 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Karl S
posted Hide Post
If body size is your only requirement, Southern Angola (not huntable) and Northern Namibia has historically the biggest body elephants of all.

Also, the Kavango region of Namibia holds superb trophies, in the last few years I would hazard a guess that it consitently produced the highest average of all areas. (excluding Mangetti park, but including West of Khaudum, Bushmanland/ Nyae Nyae, Khaudum North, and other simmelar areas, and Bwabwata National Park.)

Karl Stumpfe
Ndumo Hunting Safaris www.huntingsafaris.net
karl@huntingsafaris.net
P.O. Box 1667, Katima Mulilo, Namibia
Cell: +264 81 1285 416
Fax: +264 61 254 328
Sat. phone: +88 163 166 9264

Posts: 1336 | Location: Namibia, Caprivi | Registered: 11 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
The Elephant from the Wankie area of north west Zimbabwe are quite huge in size and around this area would be my recommendation for big body sized Elephant. in fact I will be hunting Jumbo not far from there this season.

Posts: 5886 | Location: Sydney,Australia  | Registered: 03 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
If memory serves, the biggest bodied elephant is in a DC museum. The museum in Bulawayo has one hugh Zim elephant in it with a sign not to take photographs(?).
Cal

Cal Pappas, Willow, Alaska
www.CalPappas.com
www.CalPappas.blogspot.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
1999 Namibia, Botswana, Zambia--vacation
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa
2021 South Africa (2nd hunt a month later)

Posts: 7281 | Location: Willow, Alaska | Registered: 29 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 505ED
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Karl S:
If body size is your only requirement, Southern Angola (not huntable) and Northern Namibia has historically the biggest body elephants of all.

Also, the Kavango region of Namibia holds superb trophies, in the last few years I would hazard a guess that it consitently produced the highest average of all areas. (excluding Mangetti park, but including West of Khaudum, Bushmanland/ Nyae Nyae, Khaudum North, and other simmelar areas, and Bwabwata National Park.)

+1 Karl should know he hunts them!!!

DRSS Member

Posts: 2289 | Location: Texas | Registered: 02 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Guys, very simple answer. As Karl states, the biggest bulls (body size) available now - will be in Northern Namibia. Not even a close call.

Aaron Neilson
Global Hunting Resources
303-619-2872: Cell
globalhunts@aol.com
www.huntghr.com

Posts: 4888 | Location: Boise, Idaho | Registered: 05 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Aaron Neilson:
Guys, very simple answer. As Karl states, the biggest bulls (body size) available now - will be in Northern Namibia. Not even a close call.

Great. Thanks all.

Who operates out of northern Namibia?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Who operates out of northern Namibia?

+1 Karl should know he hunts them!!!

Posts: 73 | Location: Eastern Cape, South Africa | Registered: 10 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
Karl!

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13392 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The World Record Elephant height at the shoulder as listed in Rowland Ward comes out of Southern Angola.

That being said no one really measures Elephant body size and with migration patterns a lot of the Botswana Bulls are the same ones that are found in the Hwange National Park, Vic Falls, Matetsi Region. These Elephant share the same gene pool with the Namibian Caprivi Stip Elephant.

At the end of the day I hardly think there is a huge difference between any of these areas, They shoot some wonderful Bulls in Namibia as they do around Hwange, each year there are Bulls shot in Caprivi and Hwange/ Matetsi that are close to the 100lb class.

You will find a huge difference in the Selous Elephant body size and they typically are about the size of a big Zimbabwe cow, but their ivory is pretty, long, slender and attractive.

Posts: 80 | Location: South Africa | Registered: 12 March 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Russ. I'm starting to form a clearer picture of where to hunt next year. Let me add a few more lines to my wish list.

1 - Big elephant. OK, we all want big ivory, but I am particularly interested in big, tall elephant.

2 - Lion. This may not be possible but if it is then that would be wonderful.

3 - Buffalo.

4 - Interesting topography and natural beauty. A big part of the safari experience for me. This also means as little human inhabitation as possible.

5 - A top quality camp, preferably with a good vista. A tented camp is OK but it needs to be top class. My wife will be with me and she will have experienced Alan Vincent's camp this year which I know is excellent.

Am I asking too much? I hope not.

Any comments or suggestions gratefully received.

One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
Have a talk to Rob of "Buffalo Range Safaris".
Matetsi or Kazuma close to Botswana and the beautiful Zambezi and Victoria falls.
Lion and Elephant abound.

Posts: 5886 | Location: Sydney,Australia  | Registered: 03 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
All areas have their merits when talking about a safari of this nature.

Matetsi has a huge advantage in that not only does it have good Elephant late in the year , but in my opinion currently has the best quality Lion available anywhere in Africa.

Matetsi is an attractive area with rolling hills and large Dambos plus has a large selection of game.

Should you be interested my e mail is safcom@isat.co.za or russwrb@gmail.com

One of Us
Picture of martin pieters
posted Hide Post
Russ + 1 good comments from someone who knows elephant.

martinpieterssafaris@gmail.com
www.martinpieterssafaris.com

" hunt as if it's your last one you'll ever be on"

Posts: 639 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 26 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by martin pieters:
Russ + 1 good comments from someone who knows elephant.

Mart..when do you start with elephant hunts in Tschlocho (spelling??)?

Posts: 1916 | Location: St. Charles, MO | Registered: 02 August 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of martin pieters
posted Hide Post
April 9th is my first one and I am looking forward to it, lots of movement.

martinpieterssafaris@gmail.com
www.martinpieterssafaris.com

" hunt as if it's your last one you'll ever be on"

Posts: 639 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 26 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by martin pieters:
April 9th is my first one and I am looking forward to it, lots of movement.

Good Luck Martin, on average of course Tsholotsho has prob produced the best Elephant year in year out.