New
Find
Notify
Tools

George Angelides passing
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I just saw a post on FB mentioning the passing of George Angelides. Is this true ?

Posts: 205 | Registered: 09 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Gosh I hope not.

A Tanzanian hunting legend.

I looked at his FB Page, I am afraid it is true.

RIP and condolences to Michael and the rest of the family.

Posts: 1919 | Location: St. Charles, MO | Registered: 02 August 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hope this isn't true. Maybe some of our TZ posters can verify?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
He was a true Hunting legend in Africa. So sorry to hear about this.

Posts: 205 | Registered: 09 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Gentlemen, please indulge me.....

My first African hunt was with George & Nicky Blunt PHing on alternating days in Masailand !

The hunt and the experience was phenomenal.

Sundowners, him recounting a leopard mauling, visiting his farm, you name it, it was special.

What I remember vividly was that George carried a continental 500 NE double ( as did his son Michael ). At the time I was hunting with a Cogswell & Harrison 475 double and I really prided myself on how well I shot it offhand. I even commented on how many rounds I fired in practice and how adept I was, volunteering to show him.

George set up a quick target in camp, some 35 yards, and said " have at it " I shot 3 left & rights, grouping some 4 inches. He then casually asked if he could try. I smugly said " have at it " and he promptly ripped off 4 rounds in about 4 seconds that grouped at half mine, smiled, handed me back my rifle and said " let's eat ".

God I wish I was in the position to have hunted with him again.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by doubleboy:
Gentlemen, please indulge me.....

My first African hunt was with George & Nicky Blunt PHing on alternating days in Masailand !

The hunt and the experience was phenomenal.

Sundowners, him recounting a leopard mauling, visiting his farm, you name it, it was special.

What I remember vividly was that George carried a continental 500 NE double ( as did his son Michael ). At the time I was hunting with a Cogswell & Harrison 475 double and I really prided myself on how well I shot it offhand. I even commented on how many rounds I fired in practice and how adept I was, volunteering to show him.

George set up a quick target in camp, some 35 yards, and said " have at it " I shot 3 left & rights, grouping some 4 inches. He then casually asked if he could try. I smugly said " have at it " and he promptly ripped off 4 rounds in about 4 seconds that grouped at half mine, smiled, handed me back my rifle and said " let's eat ".

God I wish I was in the position to have hunted with him again.

Yes, sir. What a great story. I too hunted with George and Nicky but on different safaris back in the late 80s early 90s. George was quite the character, no doubt. Great guy, super personality and equally adept at hosting, hunting and story telling- truly a larger than life man. I believe he shot the big five in 2 days in the Selous in the early days of hunting there.

I'm sure many great stories will follow including George's use of fishing line to ever so slightly twitch a leopard bait. It worked!

My condolences to Michael and the rest of George's family.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I love your story, Doubleboy and wish that I had the pleasure of meeting him.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The Hunter is Home from the hill.

RIP Georgie Mtoto.

Posts: 2035 | Registered: 06 September 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Sad to hear, Ive had some interesting conversations with George, On several occasions delivered money to him at SCI form some of this hunters, he always bought my supper or lunch..M prayers are with him and his family..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42156 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote