THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    9.3 vs. 375 For Cats / Lg Plains Game

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

9.3 vs. 375 For Cats / Lg Plains Game
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
If a you were building a rifle especially for Cats and large plains game what would be your choice? The way I see it 375 is easy to get ammo and components for. Possibly the 375 would be less expensive (especially purchasing ammo). The 9.3 is supposedly easier to handle and to shoot more accurately. In theory the 9.3 should also potentially offer better penetration. The 9.3 can be built in a lighter rifle; but then you might give up some of the above mentioned benefits. Input?

Posts: 435 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 14 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
I don't see that the 9.3 is going to give you as much penetration. It takes velocity and the 9.3 can't match the 375.

The 9.3 is easier to shoot because it has 10 to 15% less energy!

In the end, it probably doesn't matter! Smiler

-------------------------------
Will Stewart / Once you've been amongst them, there is no such thing as too much gun.
---------------------------------------
and, God Bless John Wayne.

NRA Benefactor Member, GOA, N.A.G.R.

"Elephant and Elephant Guns" $99 shipped
“Hunting Africa's Dangerous Game" $20 shipped.

red.dirt.elephant@gmail.com

Hoping to wind up where elephant hunters go.

Posts: 19363 | Location: Ocala Flats | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Save yourself the headaches and buy a .375 or a .375 improved.They can shoot more accurately than we can and ammo is no problem. I've shot lion, buffalo, eland and leopard with different .375s with no problems. When KLM lost our ammo we were able to scrounge some in Arusha.

one of us
posted Hide Post
As much as I like the 9.3x62, I could not recommend it over a .375 H&H under any circumstances...I have both but prefer the great 375 hands down under any circumstances that I can think of...

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42158 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have both although I´ve only done some tests with the 9.3. Felt recoil is less from the 9.3 and if you want a mild recoil go with that. I can merit owning both cause the 9.3 is for Europe and the .375 is for Africa. That line is drawn in water and is not based on any knowledge or logic. I have not hunted any other cats than a civet cat (which isn´t a cat at all) but if it can be done with a .338 it can be done with a 9.3

http://www.tgsafari.co.za

"What doesn´t kill you makes you stranger!"

Posts: 2213 | Location: Finland | Registered: 02 May 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for your input folks,

Sometimes you can get carried away with what you read in the magazines and other forums. The 375 did not get where it has by being a slouch. Why try to fix something so good???!!!Hugh

Posts: 435 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 14 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post

one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
Alf,

As I said, on the little stuff I doubt it would make any difference. But the 9.3 is not a 375 nor ever can be.

Disregarding what "can" be obtained velocity wise, for a 300gr/375 going at 2550 fps vs. a 300gr/9.3 going 2400 fps, the penetration index is significantly different.

I know Ganyana and others swear by the 9.3, but many of us are not in a position to always pick and chose what shots to take or blow off trophy fees. And besides that I do always agree with his opinion!

Except for elephant I doubt it really matters, but then I wouldn't use either on eles anyway!

Will Stewart / Once you've been amongst them, there is no such thing as too much gun.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The comments about ammo is a very valid one. You can buy or scrounge .375 just about anywhere in Africa. 9,3 is popular only in certain localities. Also bullet selection for the 9,3 isn't wonderful. I handload all my ammo, and haven't shot anything with a factory round since the end of the buffalo erradication programme here 15 years back (I used RWS TUG's for Buff back then).

If you want a 9,3 get it! If you aren't sure - buy a .375.

Posts: 3026 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I now have three 9.3's and two 375s. I like them all, but I don't really like any of them more or less.

I wouldn't buy a 9.3 expecting it to be something more or less than a .375. There is a difference there and the difference is greater as you change calibers.

A 378 Weatherby is a canon compared with a 9.3x62. But a 9.3x64 (or 9.3x70) is everything a 375 is with more penatration. The 9.3x70 is even more than a 375 H and H is.

I own a 375 Ultra, 375 H&H, 9.3x64, 9.3x74R, and 9.3x62. I really want a 9.3x70, but can't give you a decent idea why.

Never give youself a reason to not buy another gun!

Posts: 228 | Location: Spain Jerez (Cadiz) | Registered: 08 December 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Here's one for the controversy. My son shoots a 9.3x62, and I use a .375. On paper and over the chronograph, there's a bit of a difference. In the field? None that I've ever been able to distinguish - that 9.3 hits plenty hard enough. Having said that, my son plans to sell his 9.3 the day he inherits my .375. Go figure - there's not a helluva lot of practical difference, but the .375 does have the edge.

Posts: 408 | Location: Johannesburg, RSA | Registered: 28 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
Hugh,

Now you see the trouble (number of opinions) a simple question can stir up. Smiler

Even if a concensus is reached that indeed the moon is made of cheese, the arguments as to what variety of cheese it happens to be will never cease!

one of us
posted Hide Post

one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
Alf,

Like I say, it probably doesn't matter. There are Nosler and Swift bullets for both the 9.3 and 375, which for the game specified pretty much covers it, regardless of the particular cartridge.

I say the moon is swiss cheese, most definitely! Smiler

<9.3x62>
posted
Is the 375 more powerful. Yes.

Is it enough more powerful to make a difference. My conjecture, No. If I need more power than a 9.3x62, I'll take at least a 416.

If you're looking for criteria to select between the two, I'd skip the ballistic micro-accounting and address more important variables such as length, weight, mag capacity, ammo availability, and, perhaps most important of all, shootability, - most of which come down in favor of the (older) 9.3x62. JMO...

one of us
posted Hide Post
I had my 9.3x62 made up at 7 lbs. because it would be easy to carry when following Pierre and Saeed, Judge G, Dale, Allen or Lee or whoever here on AR that might get my good son in a stomped while using some weird caliber like a 45-70 or 405 Win sofa...

I don't expect to shoot and I carry it on long walks, at least that was the excuse for building my 9.3x62.

Having spent multi bucks and time and effort, I now know that I can pack my 9 lb. 375 just as easy, buy hey I wouldn't have that wonderful little Brno 22F in 9.3x62 if I used common since...besides I am a gun whore and will surly sell it before long like I do with them all..

As to killing the 375 is probably better, but both will get the job done with proper placement of a well constructed bullet, hmmmmmmm, so will a 30-06...

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

Posts: 42158 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
9.3x62 or 375 H&H...Ginger or Maryanne?

Mike

Never under estimate the internet community's ability to reply to your post with their personal rant about their tangentially related, single occurrence issue.

What I have learned on AR, since 2001:
1. The proper answer to: Where is the best place in town to get a steak dinner? is…You should go to Mel's Diner and get the fried chicken.
2. Big game animals can tell the difference between .015 of an inch in diameter, 15 grains of bullet weight, and 150 fps.
3. There is a difference in the performance of two identical projectiles launched at the same velocity if they came from different cartridges.
4. While a double rifle is the perfect DGR, every 375HH bolt gun needs to be modified to carry at least 5 down.
5. While a floor plate and detachable box magazine both use a mechanical latch, only the floor plate latch is reliable. Disregard the fact that every modern military rifle uses a detachable box magazine.
6. The Remington 700 is unreliable regardless of the fact it is the basis of the USMC M40 sniper rifle for 40+ years with no changes to the receiver or extractor and is the choice of more military and law enforcement sniper units than any other rifle.
7. PF actions are not suitable for a DGR and it is irrelevant that the M1, M14, M16, & AK47 which were designed for hunting men that can shoot back are all PF actions.
8. 95 deg F in Africa is different than 95 deg F in TX or CA and that is why you must worry about ammunition temperature in Africa (even though most safaris take place in winter) but not in TX or in CA.
9. The size of a ding in a gun's finish doesn't matter, what matters is whether it’s a safe ding or not.
10. 1 in a row is a trend, 2 in a row is statistically significant, and 3 in a row is an irrefutable fact.
11. Never buy a WSM or RCM cartridge for a safari rifle or your go to rifle in the USA because if they lose your ammo you can't find replacement ammo but don't worry 280 Rem, 338-06, 35 Whelen, and all Weatherby cartridges abound in Africa and back country stores.
12. A well hit animal can run 75 yds. in the open and suddenly drop with no initial blood trail, but the one I shot from 200 yds. away that ran 10 yds. and disappeared into a thicket and was not found was lost because the bullet penciled thru. I am 100% certain of this even though I have no physical evidence.
13. A 300 Win Mag is a 500 yard elk cartridge but a 308 Win is not a 300 yard elk cartridge even though the same bullet is travelling at the same velocity at those respective distances.

Posts: 10134 | Location: Loving retirement in Boise, ID | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
Maryanne.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13633 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I took my Chapuis 9,3x74R double rifle [scoped] to Zim for use on plains game and lion and leopard. Never got a male leopard or a lion on a bait so no shots were fired at cats, however I think a scoped double is the best cat medicine around. With two quick shots from the blind. and 2 quick shots on the follow up [if necessary] I find it superior to a bolt rifle.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yes, but your a fanatic! sofa

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

One of Us
posted Hide Post
For cats I use my lovely double rifle chambered for the 450 Nitro Express. I also have used 375 Weatherby Magnum with great results.

Posts: 208 | Location: Prague, Czech Republic | Registered: 28 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Do you know what the nickname of the 9.3x62 in colonial German Africa used to be?

The Lion Killer

Frans

(don't ask me to tell you exactly where I found that bit of info, I think it was a very old issue of Die Pirsch (German magazine) doing a portrait on this cartridge)

Posts: 1717 | Location: Alberta, Canada | Registered: 17 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Frans, I have taken a buff with 9,3x62 286gr Woodleigh solid. So there is no doubt, it is a powerful medicine.

Posts: 208 | Location: Prague, Czech Republic | Registered: 28 January 2005Reply With Quote