Tools

Zim-Sacred Pangolin found at farm
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Last Updated: Tuesday, 18 October 2005
Pangolin found at farm

Herald Reporter
A MAN from Dunnotor Farm some 30km south of Harare on Sunday evening picked up a pangolin — one of Zimbabwe’s most sacred animals — as he drove through the gate to his home.

In Shona culture a pangolin is a sacred animal whose meat is the preserve of chiefs.

Anyone who bumps into it is regarded as an extremely lucky person.

However, the Government, through the Parks and Wildlife Management Authority has gazetted the pangolin as one of the country’s protected sacred species of wildlife.

In an interview yesterday, Mr Ignatious Gono said he saw the rare creature when he was coming from work at around 2100 hours at the gate of his homestead.

"I saw the creature when I was driving and I flashed my lights to have a vivid picture and investigate only to see that it was a pangolin," he said

By yesterday, Mr Gono had not yet handed over the pangolin to anyone as he was waiting for a response from Chief Seke and officials from the National Parks and Wildlife Management Authority.

This is not the first time sacred creatures have appeared at the same homestead.

Sometime this year, Mr Gono mistakenly stepped on a python. A few days later, a python allegedly swallowed a goat in the presence of the farm workers.

The area is also believed to be a sacred one since spirit mediums like Chaminuka inhabited it and for this reason it was also called "Dema raChaminuka".

According to cultural beliefs, it is taboo to kill or keep a pangolin without the chief’s knowledge.

Kathi

kathi@wildtravel.net
708-425-3552

"The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page."

Posts: 9502 | Location: Chicago | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Kathi:
What is a Pangolin? Do you have a picture? I find this quite fasinating.

Paul K

Take Trophies - Leave Brass

Posts: 758 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 22 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of eric 98
posted Hide Post
http://www.americazoo.com/goto/index/mammals/129.htm

I'll quit buying guns when my wife quits buying shoes.

Posts: 287 | Location: Florida USA | Registered: 23 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Balla Balla
posted Hide Post

Here is a picture of our Ph Dene with a pangolin on Dendro Park ranch.

Dene has come across a few of them over the years, I also was fortunate to see one when I was last there some 2+ years ago

Posts: 3331 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Here's a picture from one of BillC's threads.

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
Picture of T.Carr
posted Hide Post

Msasi haogopi mwiba [A hunter is not afraid of thorns]

Posts: 5338 | Location: A Texan in the Missouri Ozarks | Registered: 02 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bwanajcj
posted Hide Post
That would make some really cool boots, I wonder if russel mocassin would make me a pair of ph's in pangolin hide.
sofa

LostHorizonsOutfitters.com
----------------------------
"You may all go to hell, and I will go to Texas"
Davy Crockett 1835
----------------------------

Posts: 696 | Location: Texas, where else! | Registered: 18 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've managed to catch two of them now. Quite lucky when you consider that one propetry I was on the owners had it in the family for 100 years and never saw one. The other one was on my consession. In both cases we were hunting on foot, which to me explains why they are not often seen by "road hunting".

One of my friends there also a PH said that having caught one or even having seen one is just very slighlty easier then seeing or capturing a Yeti. He had been a PH for 25 years and had never seen one either!

I suppose it's one of those little Africa bonouses that you tkae for granted. Having caught two of them now I feel very grateful that I have even seen one, much less been able to actually hold one in my hands.

Posts: 1261 | Location: Rural Wa. St. & Ellisras RSA | Registered: 06 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have encountered one 4 times and consider myself very lucky. They remind me of an artichoke.

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 13024 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 30ott6
posted Hide Post
Mark- do you use mayonnaise or butter for dipping. You'll eat anything!! Razzer

Posts: 1143 | Location: Cody, WY | Registered: 06 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of DesertRam
posted Hide Post
Wow, I didn't realize they were so rare when we saw one last year in Namibia. Adds a little extra "oomph" to the sighting.

Posts: 3301 | Location: Southern NM USA | Registered: 01 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I saw a large one in Cameroon this past July. There, the pangolin is actually on license, but it did not seem right for me to take it. And, I felt better about just watching it for a few minutes.

Posts: 75 | Location: North Carolina, USA | Registered: 05 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
John,

Melted butter for sure. A California boy WOULD know all about that.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 13024 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
Pangolin's are good luck!!! I can attest to this first hand as to the luck you receive...
In the summer of 04 while hunting ele & buf in Zim we came upon this cool looking creature...Looked like a porocupine and an armadillo cross.. Hence a pangolin..The natives were scared of it would not touch it..Ph helped me catch it and I picked it up as it rolled up into a ball and I held it very gently and photos were taken of it... Cool looking up close...

Then on June 16, 2005 I won the buff hunt to the Selous for 16 days on AR.. Smiled Big Grin and floated around for a week and still excited...

Mike

Michael Podwika... DRSS bigbores and hunting www.pvt.co.za " MAKE THE SHOT " 450#2 Famars

Posts: 6768 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote