Find
Notify
Tools

Africa with a Bow - Where to Hunt?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Ryan
posted
I am beginning to research an archery only hunt for plains game. I have hunted in Canada but Africa is a new experience. Is it true that most of Africa is now high fenced? We'd prefer a large low fenced operation but maybe this doesn't exist anymore.

I am looking at these outfitters… are there any others I should be considering?

Dries Visser Safaris
Ken Moody Hunting Enterprises
Tshepe
Sumsare Bowhunting Safaris

On our wish list is:

Eland, Kudu, Blesbok, Gemsbok, Springbok, Black Wildebeest, Impala, and Warthog

Thanks for the help!

Ryan

Ryan.miller@rsmiller.net

Ryan

Ryan.Miller@rsmiller.net
www.rsmiller.net

Posts: 81 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 28 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ryan,

I can't help with the bow hunting part of your post, but I can say it's easy to find a low/no fenced operation in southern Africa with the animals you are after on offer. The exceptions might be eland and (especially)blesbok, though I expect some one will jump in and correct me on that (for which I will be grateful).

Dean

...I say that hunters go into Paradise when they die, and live in this world more joyfully than any other men.
-Edward, Duke of York

Posts: 876 | Location: Halkirk Ab | Registered: 11 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ryan: if you are planning on a bowhunt I'm certain you know it will most likely be a sitting by a waterhole affair. Though some places offer bait hunting as well. Try Namibia for good day rates and lower trophy rates than RSA. Visser is well know, I wouldn't have Moody on my short list. May I suggest you contact Neil Summers at Bowhunting Safari consultants.
Also low fence conservancys are really not that unusual. Though most archery hunting is done on high fenced game farms.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Ditto on Neil Summers.

Posts: 1338 | Registered: 17 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cable68
posted Hide Post
I gun hunted in Namibia, but my PH Francois is an avid bowhunter, and is interested in guiding bowhunters. Saw large numbers of all of the animals you're interested in.

Caleb

Posts: 1010 | Location: Texan in Muskogee, OK now moved to Wichita, KS | Registered: 28 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Andrew McLaren
posted Hide Post
Ryan,

cats is quite right, you will in all probability be sitting in a hide next to a waterhole, so how far from the fence and how high the fence is, is of little concern.

cable68,

You saw blesbok and Black Wildebeest in Namibia? These are endemic to the southern parts of South AFrica. Any of these found in Namibia have been artificially introduced. You may as well hunt these in Texas - where they were also artificially introduced!

Some of the Outfitters on your short list are well known, some I don't know [Not claiming to know all the good ones] My advice would be to make sure that your chosen Hunting Outfitter specialyses in bow hunting. [Sales pitch Wink I became a member of the South African Bowhunting and Game Conservation Association in 1996 with a membership grade "Professional Bowhunter. So I can claim to have been doing it for some time!]

Enjoy the planning of your safari - it is part of the whole experience. Feel free to go and look at the advice on planning a safari on my web page.

In good hunting.

Andrew McLaren

Andrew McLaren
Professional Hunter and Hunting Outfitter since 1974.

http://www.mclarensafaris.com The home page to go to for custom planning of ethical and affordable hunting of plains game in South Africa!
Enquire about any South African hunting directly from andrew@mclarensafaris.com

After a few years of participation on forums, I have learned that:

One can cure:

Lack of knowledge – by instruction. Lack of skills – by practice. Lack of experience – by time doing it.

One cannot cure:

Stupidity – nothing helps! Anti hunting sentiments – nothing helps! Put-‘n-Take Outfitters – money rules!

My very long ago ancestors needed and loved to eat meat. Today I still hunt!

Posts: 1799 | Location: Soutpan, Free State, South Africa | Registered: 19 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
In addition to Namibia & RSA you could also look at Tuli Block Botswana.

one of us
posted Hide Post
My last trip which was with bow, I had opportunities at all but the Black Wildebeest. I hunted in the Kalahari.

Cats: What have you got against Ken Moody?

JD

Posts: 1450 | Location: Dakota Territory | Registered: 13 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You should check out Antonie Louw at Maakalan safaris. Antonie is a bowhunter himself and does an outstanding job. There are numerous references to him on this site. He is in Namibia about 5 hrs drive from Windhoek.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sorry, I mispelled Makalaan. This is a large fenced property but I never saw a fence except entering and leaving. Definitely fair chase.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
See the post on Kudu... Cawston is high fensed but you should only see it on the way in.

Shangaan hunters in the Save have ll the unfensed bowhunting you want but not for some of the species you list.

In Nambibia, my Friend Dirk De Bot has some superb bow hunting in free range areas.

Posts: 3026 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

Cats: What have you got against Ken Moody?

I take it you've never met the man or you wouldn't ask..IMHO he'd have been better off staying at Clark Range doing the piggy/ram hunts behind fence.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Ryan, I hunted with Ken Moody about two years ago and he runs a first class bow hunting operation. He is extremely knowledgeable about all aspects of bow hunting. At his operation you will either hunt in a blind or a tree stand, your choice. As for the fence the only time you will ever see it is when you first drive in. Bow hunting is plenty challenging with or without a fence. Reguardless of who you choose pick an operation that caters to bow hunters or only allows bow hunters. Hope this helps.

Posts: 54 | Location: Arizona | Registered: 15 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ryan don't let high fence stop you in South Africa. The fences don't stop the animals from coming and going. I saw a kudu jump a 8' fence with ease. things go under too. You need to go to a bow hunt specialty place.I have been to a place Ingogo Safari in Alldays So. Africa specializes in bow hunting. Contact Butch Mielinger at 610-863-5678 he is the US rep for Ingogo. they have a DVD of Ingogo hunts bow hunts and rifle hunts, Ask about the DVD.these are good people.

Posts: 1457 | Location: maryland / Clayton Delaware | Registered: 16 December 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Ryan
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the comments fellas. They are all very helpful.

Hunting over water holes is fine; I was expecting this on an archery hunt. I wouldn’t mind having the option to also spot and stalk to break up the trip. I know this is has a much much lower success but I am interested in having the opportunity to hunt using both methods.

I would not be interested in hunting over bait. Fair chase is important to me. So I am not interested in a put and take operation, if I wanted that I would save on air fare and hunt in Texas.

I am leery of a high fenced operation there is something that seems less wild about that…. But maybe that is because I have not been to Africa yet and I have never been behind a 100,000 acre enclosure.

It is good to know that some of the species are not feasible in the same area. The Wildebeest is lower on the list and could certainly be replaced by another species… and I would rather do that then hunt a put / take operation.

Are the concessions in Nambia generally larger and low fenced? I get the impression that south Africa had a lot of “smaller†high fenced operations and the further north you go the larger the concessions. Is this correct?

Ryan

Ryan.Miller@rsmiller.net
www.rsmiller.net

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ryan you are somewhat correct in your assumtion of RSA smaller high fenced operations, BUT keep in mind,even a smaller operation is a big area in Africa. Going north to Namibia doesn't mean no high fences, Namibia has plenty of those as well. Also bear in mind that there are 640 acres in a sq.mile
Low fence that you'll see references to are just like our low fence 2 or 3 strand barbed wire here in the USA.
Game can an does travel over and under the 8' high fences. And Put 'N Take operations really aren't that in Africa....a rancher would quickly go broke doing that. Rather breeding stock is purchased at auctions then released into the high fence hunting area to breed naturally until the herd reaches a point of huntable numbers. DO NOT judge these type of ranches by the USA "wild boar" preserves or elk preserves of 100-300 acres in size. That would be like comparing quality Port Oxford Cedar shafts to the $.39 kiddie shafts they sell at Walmart.

One of Us
Picture of cable68
posted Hide Post
Can't speak for all of the operations in Namibia, only the ones I was on. There may be high fences around the outer edges of the ranch, but these were about 50,000 hectares. Inside were smaller cattle fences which did nothing to keep the game subdivided.

They may technically "high fenced", but they really do nothing to make the hunt easier. As for the "transplanted" species in Namibia, blesbok and black wildebeest have been there so long, the government regards them the same way they do native species; much like pheasant in the US.

Caleb

Posts: 1010 | Location: Texan in Muskogee, OK now moved to Wichita, KS | Registered: 28 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jerry Huffaker
posted Hide Post
Ryan,
I highly reccommend Ron Oliver of Zimbabwe Wildlife Safaris. He has been specializing in bowhunting for many years. Chuck Adams and Pete Shepley book with him exculsivley, among others.

Jerry Huffaker
State, National and World Champion Taxidermist

Posts: 2009 | Registered: 27 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ryan, look into Greater Kuduland Safaries, they OWN several properties totaling well over 100,000 acres. They have lots of ground blinds and treestands and do spot and stalk as well. They are bowhunting oriented and the blinds are all setup that way. I saw there, duiker, steenbok, impala, monkey, baboon, leopard, rhino, elephant, blue wildebeest, gemsbok, warthog, jackal, bushpig, kuku, eland, burchell's zebra, bushbuck, ostrich, sable, roan, caracal, springbok, giraffe and thats just off the top of my head.

Posts: 421 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 15 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jerry Huffaker
posted Hide Post
Ron Oliver is the booking agent for Greater Kududland safaris, they have two 40,000 acres properties set up for bowhunting.

Jerry Huffaker
State, National and World Champion Taxidermist

Posts: 2009 | Registered: 27 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
cats is right, you can't compare the 15,000 to 25,000 acre "fenced" farms in Namibia to the few hundred acre "preserves" in the States. Just try finding the animal you spotted from a hilltop in the middle of 25,000 acres. The kudu jump the fences, warthogs go under them and up where I hunted there were cases of the elephants just walking right through them. I saw several bowhunters in the airport in Windhoek, but don't know specifically where they were headed.

Posts: 513 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 25 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ryan:
You can not go wrong with Tshepe Safaris. This is a first class operation. I have personally hunted with Cobus Mouton and a better archery safari is not to be had in S.A. IMHO!!!

Paul K.

Take Trophies - Leave Brass

Posts: 721 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 22 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Ryan
posted Hide Post
Paul -

I looked at some of the videos on Tshepe's website and it looked like they used bait. Does the hunter have the option of not hunting over bait?

From your experience was most of the hunting over bait or only for species that don't water regularly?

Thanks.

Ryan

Ryan.Miller@rsmiller.net
www.rsmiller.net

one of us
posted Hide Post
Ryan:
Cobus will will hunt any way you want! From a hide over water , sneak hunt ,(stalk) wich I think He prefers personally.I have his home number,I think you should talk to him personally. A better man you will not meet . PM me any time or call me at 330-378-2188

Paul R. Kawczk

Take Trophies - Leave Brass

Posts: 721 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 22 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Balla Balla
posted Hide Post
Hello Ryan /

You should also consider contacting Rassie Erasmus as he has some very good opportunities within South Africa for you, or other Southern Africa destinations if as necessary.

I (dont know Rassie personally) but he has hunted on our Dendro Park Ranch in Zambia with (his personal USA clients) whom specifically wanted cape buffalo in particular.

I have seen one of his bowhunting DVD', they were all very good viewing

In any event, if you wish to contact Rassie direct please let me know, he will also have some local USA contacts as referances

Regards, Peter

Posts: 3331 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ryan- A good percentage of the bow outfits in RSA use lucerne(alphafa more or less) as bait at the hides. Some use other food sources as attractants. As far as I know, the places Neil Summers books do NOT use this technique. He has been at the archery thing in Africa a long time as has Ron Oliver. You should talk to both of these gentlemen before making a decision.

Posts: 1338 | Registered: 17 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
Ryan,

You could come to the Dallas safari club convention and speak first hand to the Ph's there...And get first hand information...

Mike

Michael Podwika... DRSS bigbores and hunting www.pvt.co.za " MAKE THE SHOT " 450#2 Famars

Posts: 6767 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of jbderunz
posted Hide Post
Ryan,

Jerry huffaker linked me with Ron Oliver. Grand destination in Zim.
Ron Oliver

Neil Summers is offering nice destinations too

Neil Summers

J B de Runz
Be careful when blindly following the masses ... generally the "m" is silent

Posts: 1727 | Location: France, Alsace, Saverne | Registered: 24 August 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Ryan
posted Hide Post
Thanks fellas. I have been in contact with Neil's outfit. They have offered some good advice. Who is Ron Oliver associated with??

Ryan

Ryan.Miller@rsmiller.net
www.rsmiller.net

one of us
Picture of Ryan
posted Hide Post
As for the bait... is baiting a South African method or will you find it used in Nambia and other places. I'd really prefer not to hunt using bait.

Ryan

Ryan.Miller@rsmiller.net
www.rsmiller.net

One of Us
Picture of young_ph
posted Hide Post
Try Zak Grobler at Sahu Safaris, he's really good!

Posts: 85 | Location: Limpopo, RSA | Registered: 04 September 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hi Ryan,

I have been booking bowhunts into Africa for the past 13 years. You might want to visit my website @ http://www.zwsafaris.com for some current information along with photos of returning clients for this year and 2004. One of my clients has just returned from Zambia and kill two lions, leopard and crocodile along with many other species. I will have those photos up next week. This client kill 3 leopard this year with me, all with bow. And the two lions.

If I can be of assistance to you please contact me.

Ron Oliver, Zimbabwe Wildlife Safaris.

Ron Oliver, www.zwsafaris.com

Posts: 38 | Location: Pensacola, Florida | Registered: 30 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ryan

I have had some dealings with Ron Olver- Zim Wildlife Safaris over the years and have been very impressed. I am no bow hunter but I'll give Ron a good thumb for the way he looks after his clients and who he books them with.

Posts: 3026 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TJ
posted Hide Post
Ryan:
I vote Namibia. I hunted both RSA and Namibia last year. The high fences I saw in RSA were 12 feet tall and electrified. The animals do not go over or under them.
However, 80,000 acres under a high fence doesn't bother me. I saw no high fences in Namibia, except for a small pen with eland, which the farmer was going to release when they were accustomed to the area.
We hunted with Hentie Van Heerden. He does not have a web site or use any outfitters.
He is a bowhunter. I think he used a Mitchell. He will hunt any way you want to.
His email is vhsaf@mweb.com.na
His prices are very competitive. I'm not an outfitter and won't make a dime from this recommendation. I had a lot of fun and would hunt with him again.
We shot 4 animals which made Rowland Ward, if you are interested in that sort of thing.

Posts: 948 | Location: Kenai, Ak. USA | Registered: 05 November 2000Reply With Quote