THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    African Safari Training in USA (SAAM) ???

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

African Safari Training in USA (SAAM) ???
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of collector
posted
A client asked me the other day if I knew about SAAM ?

Has anyone taken this course in USA ? Did you find it useful ? Do they have a website ?

Please advise....thanks in advance !!!

Posts: 947 | Location: Pennsylvania, USA | Registered: 12 November 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Collector
The SAAM SAFARI course is a wonderful 4 day course in the Texas hill country designed specifically for the shooter headed to Africa. Lifesize targets of all the big nasties are found, many running and charging targets of ele and buff, as well as a fantastic plains game course. But there is so much more. It is new, just completed the first two classes in fact,and they are building the website as we speak. Craig, Tim, Ivan and I have all shot the course and attended the 4 day school and I can promise you it was the most fun we have ever had shooting- as lifelike as it gets. They do have a promo DVD and brochure they can send available now. Email Tim Fallon at timfallon@ftwoutfitters.com or call the ranch at 830-234-4366 for details. We shot a episode for Tracks that is being edited this week and you will be hearing a lot of buzz about SAAM SAFARi in the near future. It is a heck of a school

Dave Fulson

Posts: 1467 | Registered: 20 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wildlife Gallery
posted Hide Post
I was there with the Tracks Guy's and agree 100%. Very valuable course!!!!! DAN

Committing ourselves to world class turnaround and quality.
www.thewildlifegallery.com

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have talked to some PH's at Reno who where saying they wished all there clients would take the course. Elton and Shirley Rambin are friends of mine who both have taken it. Shirley got a Elephant in ZIM not long after takeing the course. Chip knows more about shooting than most of use will every learn in a life time.

Posts: 3818 | Location: kenya, tanzania,RSA,Uganda or Ethophia depending on day of the week | Registered: 27 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wildlife Gallery
posted Hide Post
Here is a few pictures I took when at the SAAM Shooting School...
1st is a picture of Ivan with Chip shooting a charging target...

Next is a photo of Dave Fulson filming Ivan with Chip. Ivan is the WRONG hand racking a right bolt gun...SMILE.

This last one is me shooting Dave's double. It was the first shots I've ever taken with a double, and I must say it was awesome!!! I saved the brass and gave them to my daughters. They've never seen shell casings that big...

Committing ourselves to world class turnaround and quality.
www.thewildlifegallery.com

One of Us
posted Hide Post
That looks like LOADS of fun for a weekend!!

What does a course at SAAM run for?? May have to give it a go this summer.

Posts: 2163 | Registered: 13 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bcolyer
posted Hide Post
I just received a personal e-mail from Peter Flack, whom I met and got to know a bit at the DSC. In fact, it was he who pointed me in the direction of Graeme Pollock with whom I subsquently booked an Elephant hunt.....Anyway, Peter wrote that he had just taken the course in Texas and he felt it was one of the greatest things he had ever done. HIGHLY RECOMMED IT FOR EVERY SAFARI HUNTER HEADING AFRICA WAY....Especially for first timers taking on Dangerous Game.

Posts: 503 | Location: Farmington, New Mexico | Registered: 05 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Anyone know the cost?

Posts: 10273 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Sevenxbjt
posted Hide Post
Looks like a wonderful course and alot of fun too.

One of Us
Picture of ivan carter
posted Hide Post
awesome course men , if each of my clients took this course there would be a lot more confidence and a lot less wounded game out there ...

the main instructors are former instructors for the navy seals sniper teams and they really know their stuff inside and out ..

heres the link if anyone is interested

http://www.ftwoutfitters.com/SAAM_Training.html

"The greatest threat to our wildlife is the thought that someone else will save it”

www.facebook.com/ivancartersafrica

www.ivancarterwca.org
www.ivancarter.com
ivan@ivancarter.com

Posts: 1201 | Location: South Africa  | Registered: 04 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of collector
posted Hide Post
Gentlemen, thanks for the pics and Mr. Carter thank you very much for the website link, I really appreciate it.

Posts: 947 | Location: Pennsylvania, USA | Registered: 12 November 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
This looks great. I've done the Gunsite Academy's Hunter's Prep class prior to my hunts and it is very much the same (charging targets and field positions). It puts you under pressure you could never achieve on your own on the range.

Regards, D. Nelson

one of us
Picture of juanpozzi
posted Hide Post
Im a shooting ,and med tac instructor here in Argentina BESIDES GUIDING many,international hunters each year ,after water buffalo ,and other species,and year after year i have been seeing that the hunters became most interested in trophies and NATURE than in shooting training ,guns and ballistics .I saw TED RUSSELL ,courses,gunsite sfari preps and i strongly recomend this courses.
I believe an urban living hunter ,must shot daily with a good airsoft or air rifle,and of course as many times as he can with hunting rifles.
We have a course where you shot living targets as wild cows ,hogs ,and buffalos after training you with your rifle.

www.huntinginargentina.com.ar FULL PROFESSIONAL MEMBER OF IPHA INTERNATIONAL PROFESSIONAL HUNTERS ASOCIATION .
DSC PROFESSIONAL MEMBER
DRSS--SCI
NRA
IDPA
IPSC-FAT -argentine shooting federation cred number2-

Posts: 6369 | Location: Cordoba argentina | Registered: 26 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of juanpozzi
posted Hide Post
Ivan ,i shot left handed too ,of course im trained to shoot with both sides but i shot rifles left handed and pistols rigth handed.Juan

www.huntinginargentina.com.ar FULL PROFESSIONAL MEMBER OF IPHA INTERNATIONAL PROFESSIONAL HUNTERS ASOCIATION .
DSC PROFESSIONAL MEMBER
DRSS--SCI
NRA
IDPA
IPSC-FAT -argentine shooting federation cred number2-

Posts: 6369 | Location: Cordoba argentina | Registered: 26 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I get adds in the mail quite often for those types of courses. Some of the members of DSC have taken them and really enjoyed it. That said, the ones I saw are pretty darn expensive. You could almost buy a cheap RSA game ranch hunt for the price. Shooting at a gun range which allows you to get off the bench and shoot in various positions as well as off the sticks (there is one like that near my home) and spending time in the field hunting real animals, not paper is what sharpens your skills. Don't let any deer season go to waste! Varmit hunt all year long!

Posts: 1357 | Location: Texas | Registered: 17 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I just pulled out my 2010 DSC Auction Catalog. There is a SAAM training class for four that was donated to the Friday night Auction. It has a listed value of $15,800. Don't know what it went for.

Posts: 1357 | Location: Texas | Registered: 17 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of opus72
posted Hide Post
Looks like a great setup. I'm not sure how it compares, but there's another similar course in TX. www.safarishootingschool.com/index.html
Seems a bit less expensive than SAAM.

Posts: 262 | Location: Mount Pleasant, SC | Registered: 02 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Guys
The DSC auction price was for a group stay at SAAM Safari, not one individual. The 5 night, 4 day course is $ 3,950 . Compared to a BG safari where the training could be covered (and then some) by the loss of just one wounded animal, I think it is a real solid investment for a guy really serious about hunting and accurate shooting over a lifetime. I took my course in prep of a Derby eland hunt in CAR in March, and I promise you that I learned more than a couple of tricks from the SAAM course. Boddington and Carter feel the same. I needed some big bore brush up, and got it in spades there. Really a great week with guys I now consider friends.

Dave Fulson

Posts: 1467 | Registered: 20 December 2007Reply With Quote