New
Find
Notify
Tools

Dande South - Buffalo
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
A friend and I are booked for Dande South at the end of October for Buffalo. Any reports from there this season?

Thanks

Jim

Posts: 134 | Location: dallas,tx | Registered: 29 November 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
Jim,
I can't comment on 2005, I hunted in the Save Valley this year but last year I hunted Dande South for elephant with Buzz Charlton. We saw quite a few buffalo including several bulls in this picture. If you look to the right you will see a bull we estimated at 43 inches. Can't make any promises, but they are there. We cut tracks every day and ran into a few bands of dagga boys on ele tarcks. Good hunting...

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7558 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Bwana, what a great photo! Did you run into this herd while in the car?? It looks as though you are just a tad above the buff... This is almost like being there yourself, the dust in the air and everything.

- mike

The rifle is a noble weapon... It entices its bearer into primeval forests, into mountains and deserts untenanted by man. - Horace Kephart

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Does the bull on the left have a better boss than the bull on the right?

Posts: 276 | Location: hendersonville, nc 28739 | Registered: 18 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Both bulls are too young to shoot IMO, with soft bosses and will become much better "trophies" within a couple of years.

"...Them, they were Giants!"
J.A. Hunter describing the early explorers and settlers of East Africa

hunting is not about the killing but about the chase of the hunt.... Ortega Y Gasset

Posts: 3035 | Location: Tanzania - The Land of Plenty | Registered: 19 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 308Sako
posted Hide Post
Bawana, That picture sure takes me back! Wonderful shot, and beautiful moment. Thank you.

Member NRA, SCI- Life #358 28+ years now!
DRSS, double owner-shooter since 1983, O/U .30-06 Browning Continental set.

Posts: 3611 | Location: LV NV | Registered: 22 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of almostacowboy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bwanamich:
Both bulls are too young to shoot IMO, with soft bosses and will become much better "trophies" within a couple of years.

Thanks, Bwanamich. I'm after my first Buff in Sept and am trying to learn as much about trophy choice as possible. I know that my PH, Claude Kleynhans, will certainly be able to spot one, but the more I can tell him about what I'm looking for, the easier it'll be for him. thumb

Dave

"What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives every thing its value."
-Thomas Paine, "American Crisis"

Posts: 816 | Location: Llano, CA Mojave Desert | Registered: 30 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
mho and 308,
Thanks for the comments and compliments. We ran into this herd as we were checking the Angwa River for elephant tracks early one morning in the Zambezi Valley. I was able to snap a couple of pictures with my Sony Digital Camera on 20X zoom before they took off. I was in the back of the 'cruiser luckily so I was elevated and had the morning sun just about right. One more picture of the group as they were moving off...

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7558 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hunted Dande South and East this year for ele, sable, buff. Saw some really good buffalo even that early. I do not imagine you will have any trouble getting a 40+ if you work at it.

Who are you hunting with?

York, SC

one of us
Picture of Wendell Reich
posted Hide Post
It will be hot at that time! Be prepared. Other than that, have a ball. thumb

Posts: 6265 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 13 July 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
Great pictures, I can almost smell them by simply looking at your pictures!

The Bosses may be a bit soft, but they also may be pollished, as that country has lots of bush to plow through. The one on the right of the picture is wide, but the one on the left has better symmetry, and better Bosses, and is more to my likeing. Both animals may look different if seen live. Buffalo who live in heavy bush, always have more smoothly pollished bosses, then those who live in more open country, in my experience.

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The bull on the right looks to be at least 40" and probably more but his bosses are soft and not well formed yet. Imagine what that bull will be in 4 or 5 years if he is allowed to mature. AWESOME! The one on the lewft is the one to shoot this year.

465H&H

Posts: 5686 | Location: Nampa, Idaho | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote