New
Find
Notify
Tools

Elephant in Namibia
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
ANyone hunted elephant in Namibia in Bushmanland area or places outside the Caprivi Strip?

Posts: 10359 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Ropes
posted Hide Post
I have not but I know that is where a client of Kai-Uwe Denker took both a 115.3 x 17 pound and a 81.7 x 77.9 pound Ele. I have his flyer in an email if you want it..

John

Posts: 549 | Location: Denial | Registered: 27 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill C
posted Hide Post
I hunted with a PH who hunted ele in Bushmanland (now the Nye Nyae Conservancy) [Edit, I checked w/Fred, he hunted Bushmanland for 3 yrs, but NOT for Denker]. He had good things to say about Denker as a hunter and respected his ethics. He said that the area was challenging hunting due to the heat, and that Denker likes to walk (some days he'd just leave camp on foot and walk all day). He shoots older bulls and the client must be prepared to shoot an old bull that might have one broken tusk. I can give you Fred's email for a reference if you like, let me know.

Looks to be $40K w/trophy fee.

Posts: 3153 | Location: PA | Registered: 02 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
dogcat,

Bushmanland has the best average on trophy Elephant in Africa today in my opinion and I've said this before. In the late 80's early 90's Volker Grellman had this area and averaged in the 80lbs. Kai-Uwe has had the area since 2002 and averages in the mid 70lbs. I hunted this area 99/2000 and given the population of bulls in the area it is easy to see why.
Another government area next to the Kaudom reserve and bordering the north of Bushmanland also has excellent trophy quality. These areas are huge with a minimum of "roads" and one is therefore almost obliged to walk.
Kai-Uwe shoots old/er Elephants and so should more hunters strive to shoot old Elephants. In short the older the Elephant the denser the ivory.
According to the quota set for the Nyae-Nyae Conservancy, 2 Elephants with broken tusks are to be taken per year.
80 and 90lb Elephant have also been taken in the Caprivi in the past, again the key is to find the old bulls (with tusks that aren't completely broken off) thats the bottom line.
Kai Uwe is an excellent ph and you will not go wrong.

Posts: 181 | Location: Windhoek Namibia | Registered: 20 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
btt

Posts: 10359 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote